World Cup 2016

MODO Hockey

Sure McDavid was breathtaking at points, again, but funnily enough he does seem to suffer through periods where he really lacks finishing ability. Lots of scoring chance again. Still zero goals so far. I think something similar happened at the worlds too.

Just checked - 1 goal in 10 games.

Probably just chalk it up to youth and maybe nerves. Just unusual seeing as how much his other talents show.

Edited by Thorny

Sure McDavid was breathtaking at points, again, but funnily enough he does seem to suffer through periods where he really lacks finishing ability. Lots of scoring chance again. Still zero goals so far. I think something similar happened at the worlds too.

Probably just chalk it up to youth and maybe nerves. Just unusual seeing as how much his other talents show.

I would take McDavid over Eichel plus Reinhardt. I really think he is that good

If there's one weakness in his offensive game it's his shot. Hands are beyond amazing, but he's sort of a one trick pony with goal scoring because he can't really snipe it. I'd imagine it won't be a weakness for all too long, of course, but it is right now. Edited by TrueBlueGED

And? Why does this have to be the subtext to everything McDavid?

I was merely pointing out how McDavid's finishing ability isn't generational like his other talents are.

But-yes-I-know-he's-better-than-Eichel.

If there's one weakness in his offensive game it's his shot. Hands are beyond amazing, but he's sort of a one trick pony with goal scoring because he can't really snipe it. I'd imagine it won't be a weakness for all too long, of course, but it is right now.

I don't think it will stay a weakness either. But I also don't think it will ever be one of his best strengths,

Edited by Thorny

McDavid's 30 goal pace was also in large part to a 20% shooting percentage. I'll eat my hat if he can do that over a full season. I think it's going to take him a few years to score 30+ goals. I also think he'll have no problem getting 50-65 assists a season until then.

When he does figure that part of his game out, he will wreck the NHL.

McDavid's 30 goal pace was also in large part to a 20% shooting percentage. I'll eat my hat if he can do that over a full season. I think it's going to take him a few years to score 30+ goals. I also think he'll have no problem getting 50-65 assists a season until then.

When he does figure that part of his game out, he will wreck the NHL.

Agree. He's an outstanding playmaker and that's his top gift (along with skating), he won't ever struggle there.

But I still maintain it's interesting that a guy who's as stand-out on the ice as he is has merely 1 goal in his last 16 international contests. Maybe just an anomaly, but one goal is one goal.

Hate me all you want, but McDavid and Matthews were a ######ton more impressive than Eichel today.

Far from a hateable post. In fact, this is sorta the common refrain, the current lament on here at his time.

Personally I thought Eichel factored in more prominently than Matthews today, even with the goal. But I get others are seeing it differently.

Edited by Thorny

Far from a hateable post. In fact, this is sorta the common refrain, the current lament on here at his time.

Yup. Jack needs to elevate his game. I called it after seeing his first World Cup game and I will say it again, Jack Eichel needs to be better. 

Agree. He's an outstanding playmaker and that's his top gift (along with skating), he won't ever struggle there.

But I still maintain it's interesting that a guy who's as stand-out on the ice as he is has merely 1 goal in his last 16 international contests. Maybe just an anomaly, but one goal is one goal.

Even in his draft year it was acknowledged that Eichel's shot was superior to McDavid's and I think that continues to easily be the case. McDavid's shot is fine, better than Reinhart's from what I have seen but it could use some help. That said though McDavid is a ridiculous hockey player.

Hate me all you want, but McDavid and Matthews were a ######ton more impressive than Eichel today.

No hate, here. Team NA impressions, for me: McKinnon re-emerging and Matthews' star power. I lost McKinnon last year. My only prolonged viewing of Matthews was the WJC. While he was very good, there, I didn't get a generational feel. Kid's awesome.

I mean, don't get me wrong, Eichel looked good.  But those two, wow.

He did look fine, the issue is you want someone like Eichel to standout or at least I would think he should. In this instance he didn't but at the ripe old age of 20, not really worried about it.

edit: jack turns 20 at the end of October so he was 19 for this tourney

Edited by LGR4GM

I would be hard pressed to make that deal, which mean the value is probably closer to what it takes. McDavid is a 10 level talent and Reinhart is in the 8.5-9 range, Jack is probably in the 9.5+ range, it would be a tough trade to make. As someone else said, teams win cups.

I mean, don't get me wrong, Eichel looked good.  But those two, wow.

Thought Jack stood out a fair bit more than Matthews today.

Yup. Jack needs to elevate his game. I called it after seeing his first World Cup game and I will say it again, Jack Eichel needs to be better. 

Even in his draft year it was acknowledged that Eichel's shot was superior to McDavid's and I think that continues to easily be the case. McDavid's shot is fine, better than Reinhart's from what I have seen but it could use some help. That said though McDavid is a ridiculous hockey player.

I don't really agree on Jack. Every good player has another level, and of course it's good to see a player consistently play on that plane. But I would say his game was really good today and not in the "needs to be better" class. He had several good looks, an assist, and was good on the back check.

Nobody should hate you for speaking the truth. Granted I didn't watch today's game, but that's been the case all tournament, so I have no reason to question your point. The McDavid-Eichel comparisons were always folly anyway; Matthews-Eichel is much more interesting to me.

I think one thing that makes the comparison difficult (especially in a tournament like this), is they are very very different players. Myself and others were quite critical of Eichel's off-puck play last season--he's simply not good without the puck, and simply looks awkward if he goes long stretches in the offensive zone without it on his stick. This makes it difficult for him when he's playing with other puck-dominant players, as is the case here--players like Gaudreau and McDavid (who are better) are flying around doing their thing, and he's just sort of ~there~ if he isn't asserting himself to control the puck, which he hasn't. 3putt made a great observation on how he's really been looking to defer; so his best talents are being underutilized and the weakest part of his game is getting highlighted.

Matthews, on the other hand, seems to me to be much more effective without the puck than Eichel is. He can play on McDavid's wing because of this, and more generally, he appears to be a better fit on this team. He's also noticeably better with the puck in tight areas than Eichel is (Flagg if you mention stick length I swear to God...), which helps when you're playing all-star teams that don't give a ton of space. Overall I think he's the more versatile player right now, so he's shining. 

I take Samson's shot over Connor's. He fixed it in a month or so with O'Reilly and then all of a sudden was picking corners (Winnipeg, Nashville, Vancouver to name a few). Then look at that goal he scored late in the season in Detroit to cut the lead from 3-1 to 3-2. That one-timer. Connor can't do that.

Friendly reminder that Samson transformed at least three things about his game mid-season last year and became good at all of them. (Shooting, deflecting/net front presence, playing wing.) Friendly reminder that he's had months off to train and practice, without us having seen a minute of him on the ice.

I'm giddy to see Samson.

/ramble

I'm not worried. Eich's 19, McDavid is generational. Matthews was a first overall pick.

McDavid and Matthews might have been the only players on that team younger than Jack. It was an all star team, and he fit in.

I'm a little perplexed the common consensus seems to be after a just few tournament games is that Matthews is the better player. Don't see it that way at all. I think my thought there is a minority opinion at this point though, I concede.

I'm a little perplexed the common consensus seems to be after a just few tournament games is that Matthews is the better player. Don't see it that way at all. I think my thought there is a minority opinion at this point though, I concede.

Well we won't really know until Matthews has logged some NHL time, but based on what I've seen I'm adjusting my earlier belief that Jack is better. Aside from Auston being in Toronto, it doesn't bother me at all to do that, either. I don't need Jack to be the best player at age 19.

Thought Jack stood out a fair bit more than Matthews today.

I don't really agree on Jack. Every good player has another level, and of course it's good to see a player consistently play on that plane. But I would say his game was really good today and not in the "needs to be better" class. He had several good looks, an assist, and was good on the back check.

Fair enough

I think the play at the end of the game was indicative of where Jack and Matthews are. 3 on 3 and both are gassed. Sweden gains possession and Reilly holds up his hands to indicate he has no stick. Jack got on his horse and made it back to break up essentially a 2 on 0. Matthews went to the bench. Jack is getting the total game concept that many were pining for last year. Matthews will eventually get there. Right now Matthews only knows full speed ahead.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.