Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

The Pegulas are utterly and completely lost.

Whaley said he had no idea Rex was in trouble, doesn't know why Rex was fired, hasn't given the matter any thought, and has no opinion on whether it was the right move.

The fook?

He said he had no input into the decision, too. Pretty incredible. You can hate on Bucky, but when he asked Whaley what he does for a living, that was pretty great. But Bucky was also asking what input Whaley had into Lynn being promoted. Also none, apparently. He said Ryan recommended him.

Can't believe there's speculation here that Whaley was really in charge of things and threw the Pegulas under the bus. Get serious.

Seems evident that the Pegulas don't have a clue how to run a pro sports franchise. That is fine - I probably wouldn't either. But, they are guilty of not surrounding themselves with experienced professionals who know how to win in the NFL. They're desperate for a Bill Polian type to come in and run the show on their behalf, with all decisions about the GM, coaching, scouting, etc. running through that individual.

Russ Brandon, Doug Whaley, Jim Monos, Rob Hanrahan, etc... these guys are in no way shape or form qualified to run a top notch NFL football organization. Half of these guys started as media interns and now are somehow making player personnel decisions. It just doesn't make any sense.

One thing I am sure of: the Pegulas need help. I've scoffed at ancient names like Polian, but at this point I think it's undeniable that they need some kind of experienced senior hand to help steer the ship, at least for a couple years while they learn the NFL. And I'm not talking a name like Kelly to placate fans, I mean an experienced executive.

Does it sound like they are moving in that direction? Whaley will head up the search. The Pegulas will make the final decision. Who will the coach report to? Still could be the Pegulas. Whaley kept saying that decision would be part of the interview process. So the prospective head coach is going to negotiate that? "I'll be the coach, but only if I report to the Pegulas."

I have to believe that TP knows he needs to bring in Coughlin or someone similar as an adviser if the Bills are to have any credibility.

When did he find Jesus on this? And why doesn't it look like much is going to change, other than Whaley "leading the search." The Pegulas will still make the decision and the coach could still report to them. Circular firing squads are fun.

---

I'm really hoping GMTM gets some serious questioning about if and how his setup is different than Whaley's. Who hired Bylsma is the obvious first question. Who does DD report to? Who can fire him?

Blue is right. This is more up than even my dark imagination could have conjured.

@trueblue: I don't really believe anything he said. But the way in which this thing was planned and executed reflects terribly on the Pegulas.

Does it reflect terribly on the Pegulas or on the Team President that is supposed to know a thing or 2 about marketing & may have had a bit of advice into how to spin a story?

Everybody knows that DW is uncomfortable w/ public speaking & could definitely stand some mentoring on that front. Is it possible that this is a sign that RB & DW are at odds?

Could this be Whalley's way of highlighting that the Team President should be a football man like Coughlin rather than a Dan Draper? (Probably not, but 1 can hope.)

After this press conference, is there any less attractive job in the NFL than any job with the Buffalo Bills football operations?

In my best Bulldog: it's a toire foire.

One of the questions was about how all this looks to the rest of the league. Which got me to thinking about Mike Babcock. He was definitely made the villain for allegedly playing the Sabres against the Leafs. I'm sure that made the Sabres' brass happy. What if Babcock got a peek at how the Pegulas operate and said, "Nah."

I can't pin this down, but I thought there was chatter about Babcock wanting more control over player personnel decisions than Murray was willing to give. Which might lead to the Pegulas, too. Terry made a comment once about "no emperors" need apply or something. Because he's the emperor? (And pantsless.)

BTW, I feel bad writing Pegulas plural. Or "Kim and Terry." I don't think Kim bears any responsibility for either franchise. She smarts enough to know which way to turn in the hallway and has said as much. Note that Terry was on the conference call with Rex and Doug, not Kim and Terry. But after getting lectured about how Kim is a rightful co-owner, at some point I started folding her into the conversation. I'm going to stop.

Does it reflect terribly on the Pegulas or on the Team President that is supposed to know a thing or 2 about marketing & may have had a bit of advice into how to spin a story?

Everybody knows that DW is uncomfortable w/ public speaking & could definitely stand some mentoring on that front. Is it possible that this is a sign that RB & DW are at odds?

Could this be Whalley's way of highlighting that the Team President should be a football man like Coughlin rather than a Dan Draper? (Probably not, but 1 can hope.)

To take the Bills at their word, Russ is now president of the Bills the way Ted Black was president of the Sabres. Business only, with some common sense areas where there's a crossover. Whaley said Brandon has no input into football decisions.

The president label confuses a lot of fans. At one point Pat LaFontaine and Black were both president.

In my best Bulldog: it's a toire foire.

One of the questions was about how all this looks to the rest of the league. Which got me to thinking about Mike Babcock. He was definitely made the villain for allegedly playing the Sabres against the Leafs. I'm sure that made the Sabres' brass happy. What if Babcock got a peek at how the Pegulas operate and said, "Nah."

I can't pin this down, but I thought there was chatter about Babcock wanting more control over player personnel decisions than Murray was willing to give. Which might lead to the Pegulas, too. Terry made a comment once about "no emperors" need apply or something. Because he's the emperor? (And pantsless.)

BTW, I feel bad writing Pegulas plural. Or "Kim and Terry." I don't think Kim bears any responsibility for either franchise. She smarts enough to know which way to turn in the hallway and has said as much. Note that Terry was on the conference call with Rex and Doug, not Kim and Terry. But after getting lectured about how Kim is a rightful co-owner, at some point I started folding her into the conversation. I'm going to stop.

To take the Bills at their word, Russ is now president of the Bills the way Ted Black was president of the Sabres. Business only, with some common sense areas where there's a crossover. Whaley said Brandon has no input into football decisions.

The president label confuses a lot of fans. At one point Pat LaFontaine and Black were both president.

And again, just because he technically isn't involved in football matters doesn't mean his decisions don't affect the on-field product (1 guaranteed home loss / year playing in TO) nor does it mean he's completely removed from football side decisions (Ryan hire which the GM seems by all counts to have opposed from day 1).

He talked the Pegulas into firing Ted Black & recommending himself for the position. ('Ted came up w/ the t###burger, burn him, he's a witch.') He also by all accounts was displeased (to say the least) at Whalley cutting Fred Jackson. No possibility that he'd try under cutting Whalley, is there. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but the belief that he isn't / won't be involved in decisions that effect the actual products that customers pay the Pegulas to watch doesn't pass the credibility test from this observer's vantage point.

He said he had no input into the decision, too. Pretty incredible. You can hate on Bucky, but when he asked Whaley what he does for a living, that was pretty great. But Bucky was also asking what input Whaley had into Lynn being promoted. Also none, apparently. He said Ryan recommended him.

Can't believe there's speculation here that Whaley was really in charge of things and threw the Pegulas under the bus. Get serious.

Poor phrasing on my part. I don't think Whaley went out there with the intent of throwing the Pegulas under the bus, but the way he handled the questions about Rex made it look like he was doing just that. I think his intent was to do the typical GM thing of saying a whole bunch of nothing at all, but unintentionally ended up saying a lot...or what could be interpreted as a lot. Completely and totally botched the answers.

Do you think Whaley was being 100% honest about everything? I sure don't. Even just the firing part of Rex, the stories that were leaking out before he was fired were that Whaley had convinced the Pegulas to move on from Rex. Totally contradictory to what he said today. I believe the leaks.

Does it sound like they are moving in that direction? Whaley will head up the search. The Pegulas will make the final decision. Who will the coach report to? Still could be the Pegulas. Whaley kept saying that decision would be part of the interview process. So the prospective head coach is going to negotiate that? "I'll be the coach, but only if I report to the Pegulas."

Absolutely not. But in two years if (when?) this thing blows up in spectacular fashion, I think it could happen at that point, perhaps even likely to happen.

I have to believe that TP knows he needs to bring in Coughlin or someone similar as an adviser if the Bills are to have any credibility.

I really don't think he knows this at all. At best, he might recognize he should be further removed from the coach hiring process.

And the Bills will not become non-dysfunctional until the Pegulas have an advisor they trust who HAS football knowledge & has higher status in their eyes than the marketer-in-chief.

The Pegulas can become very good owners - they've got the right attitude, Reg - but need advisors that look at more than the bottomline. IMHO, they didn't buy the teams just to make money w/out winning. But right now, they've got the wrong guy whispering in their ear.

I'm redeemed, Bucky is restored, Yuri reincarnated. This year would be off to a smashing start if mention of Wawrow brought GoDD back from the dead.

Thanks for sharing. This validates what I've been thinking all along. The Bills biggest issue is press conferences. The behind the scenes stuff makes sense. The media and fans imploding over this is ridiculous.

T-Peg said there's "no dysfunction"?  

I'm sorry -but when the GM isn't even consulted in retaining or firing the coach, THAT is serious dysfunction/mismanagement.  

A good top-shelf GM would have had KITTENS if the owner made such a major change and left him out of the discussion.  I manage employees, and I would have a @#$%ing fit if my boss told me he talked to one of my employees and fired them, without any discussion with me about the matter.   

There's a chain of command for a reason.  

Whaley though is like "ohhh shucks, I guess Terry fired him".  Whaley is clearly a clown and isn't a quality GM or a good leader/commander of men.   

Edited by Jsixspd

T-Peg said there's "no dysfunction"?

I'm sorry -but when the GM isn't even consulted in retaining or firing the coach, THAT is serious dysfunction/mismanagement.

A good top-shelf GM would have had KITTENS if the owner made such a major change and left him out of the discussion. I manage employees, and I would have a @#$%ing fit if my boss told me he talked to one of my employees and fired them, without any discussion with me about the matter.

There's a chain of command for a reason.

Whaley though is like "ohhh shucks, I guess Terry fired him". Whaley is clearly a clown and isn't a quality GM or a good leader/commander of men.

Whaley didn't hire him so why would he fire him? Did Rex report directly to the Pegulas?

Thanks for sharing. This validates what I've been thinking all along. The Bills biggest issue is press conferences. The behind the scenes stuff makes sense. The media and fans imploding over this is ridiculous.

I feel better too after reading it. Nothing to see here.

"There's no dysfunction. Everybody is on the same page," Pegula said. "We're busy busting our ." My italics. Keep plugging, Terry.

Whaley didn't hire him so why would he fire him? Did Rex report directly to the Pegulas?

I think the issue is two-fold.

1) Whaley said he had no idea Rex was on the hot seat. Now personally I don't think this is true, but if it is...

2) Whether Whaley knew, but especially if he did not, the owners going around the GM probably isn't a great way to run a professional football organization.

And FWIW, Whaley may not have hired Rex, but he said he had input. One would think he'd also have input into a decision to move on.

No, it makes perfect sense, given that org chart - where the coach reports to the owner, and bypasses the GM.

But isn't that an odd way to run a team?  Why would the coach report to the owner and not the GM?  Isn't that unusual?

I thought in most pro teams, the teams are structured so the coach reports to the GM and not the owner.  The Patriots would be an exception but Belichick is the football "czar" really, who wears both the GM and coach hats.  

Is Whaley just a figurehead?  LOL   

And shouldn't the GM be presumed to have a greater knowledge of football operations than an owner, and therefore be able to better judge of whether a coach should be relieved or not?

Edited by Jsixspd

No, it makes perfect sense, given that org chart - where the coach reports to the owner, and bypasses the GM.

But isn't that an odd way to run a team? Why would the coach report to the owner and not the GM? Isn't that unusual?

I thought in most pro teams, the teams are structured so the coach reports to the GM and not the owner. The Patriots would be an exception but Belichick is the football "czar" really, who wears both the GM and coach hats.

Is Whaley just a figurehead? LOL

And shouldn't the GM be presumed to have a greater knowledge of football operations than an owner, and therefore be able to better judge of whether a coach should be relieved or not?

Well, the stories prior to Rex's firing were precisely that: Whaley had convinced (or was convincing) the Pegulas to move on.

But isn't that an odd way to run a team? Why would the coach report to the owner and not the GM? Isn't that unusual?

I thought in most pro teams, the teams are structured so the coach reports to the GM and not the owner. The Patriots would be an exception but Belichick is the football "czar" really, who wears both the GM and coach hats.

Is Whaley just a figurehead? LOL

I didn't say I liked it or its the right way to run an organization but it makes sense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.