Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

It's a lot of inference and a fair amount of surmise, obviously, but, based on what's known and what's been reported, I am comfortable with the take that Brandon is part of the problem, and likely a key part of the problem.

Not for nothing, the reports today were that Brandon will not be involved in the HC hiring process and is otherwise being removed from football operations.

He should NEVER be involved in the HC hiring process. His friggin' job is to make the Pegulas the most money THIS season. Hiring a guy w/ a "big name" will make that job easier. (But not necessarily any easier next year.) The fact that having him staying the #### out of the process & ending up w/ a winning product will make them more money in the LT & will also make it a heck of a lot more fun to be the owners should be paramount.

Please punt his butt before he starts showing us all how much he knows about hockey.

And, you know how many playoff appearances they've had since he convinced Ralph to move camp from quiet Fredonia up to Fisher?

NADA. Get him the #### away from these teams.

Edited by Taro T

^

I'm as anti-Brandon as anyone, but I can't see how the move to St. John Fisher was a bad idea, or a drag on performance.

Reading between the lines... nowhere to get in trouble in Fredonia? (Do the players leave camp for R&R?)

---

I'm confused:

“I'm told Russ Brandon will not be involved in the Bills coach hiring process,” tweeted John Wawrow. “Decision is strictly with the Pegulas.”

The Bills previously announced general manager Doug Whaley will be leading the search to replace Ryan.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/1/14139590/buffalo-bills-coaching-search-russ-brandon

Reading between the lines... nowhere to get in trouble in Fredonia? (Do the players leave camp for R&R?)

Fredonia is most likely "quieter" than Pittsford/Rochester, but ... c'mon.

Has there ever been any indication that Bills players party during camp at St John Fisher?

I do note that the Jets go to Cortland. Pretty damn quiet there.

Fredonia is most likely "quieter" than Pittsford/Rochester, but ... c'mon.

Has there ever been any indication that Bills players party during camp at St John Fisher?

I do note that the Jets go to Cortland. Pretty damn quiet there.

Let us not delve into this too much. I like this Taro.

Brandon is a St. John Fisher alumni.  

If Brandon made the decision to move training camp there, to his former college, there must be some sort of weird back-scratching, home-town, parochial nepotism at play - maybe this trait/characteristic is why Russ and T-Peg get along so swimmingly, because they share it in common? 

^

I'm as anti-Brandon as anyone, but I can't see how the move to St. John Fisher was a bad idea, or a drag on performance.

He moved training camp to his alma mater... "marketing genius!"

The story about how he supposedly told Rex what to say in his interview with the Pegulas is one reason why I'm anti-Brandon.

^

Well, we never had QB's going out for large portions of the season tripping over mats at Niagara or Fredonia, nor in East Aurora for that matter. :)

More seriously, Brandon gets himself involved in where the team practices (as a marketing matter: 'it'll build the fan base practicing in Ra-cha-cha') when that should be a coaching decision. Where will they get the best, most focused, practice in; not where will they have to meet w/ the most people in the hospitality tent? Let's have night practices, because having 10,000 people watching you work on technique is DEFINITELY going to help you focus on the technique. When you only have limited practice time, why do everything you can to increase the distractions & limit the focus of the players? (& moving to Fisher didn't help get the suites sold to keep the team in Buffalo, that happened prior to the move.) Not saying there's a causation, but there definitely is a correlation w/ where camp is located & regular season results.

Brandon moved a game / year up to TO. How'd THAT work out? (1 W the entire time & Fitzbeardy boke his ribs in that 1 W, so even though they won, they lost.)

The point of this being, that the team President has priorities that are completely removed from on-field & on-ice performance (though I'm certain he WANTS the teams to win, THAT is NOT his priority), and in fact actions he takes to support his priorities can take (& have taken) away competitive advantages for the Bills. Whether or not his actions were indirectly football related (TO Series) or directly football related (hiring Rex Ryan, being the team GM). I find it hard to believe he will be completely removed from this coaching search, though that'll be a good thing if he is. But it still won't keep him from putting the bottom line ahead of winning.

He got bumped up because he got the suites sold. He's a GREAT marketer. LQ got Crossroads built. He's a great behind the scenes politician (which isn't particularily a complement). Both got moved up above their competence level & we've dealt with those rewards for performance for far too long.

And I completely get that because he does make money for the owners that there's almost no chance he's ever forced out. Doesn't mean that he shouldn't be out if the primary goal is winning. Making money is firmly Brandon's goal 1, which makes winning goal 2.

Brandon = Peter Principle in action - he has been promoted to, and beyond, his level of competence.  

And I still remain unconvinced as to how great a marketer he is;   The Bills have always had a highly devoted, rabid regional fanbase.  I think Brandon's best skill is relationship building with the ownership; schmoozing and politicking and such.    He was the "Ralph-Whisperer" for a number of years until Wilson died;  and wormed his way up to being head of the "Inner Circle".  

Edited by Jsixspd

Brandon = Peter Principle in action - he has been promoted to, and beyond, his level of competence.  

And I still remain unconvinced as to how great a marketer he is;   The Bills have always had a highly devoted, rabid regional fanbase.  I think Brandon's best skill is relationship building with the ownership; schmoozing and politicking and such.    He was the "Ralph-Whisperer" for a number of years until Wilson died;  and wormed his way up to being head of the "Inner Circle".  

I can remember 19,000 at Rich.

Don't you think that would have been close to the number yesterday, IF it were a home game?

:P

Back in 84-85 there would be approximately 19,000 tickets sold for the game, not total attendance.

The season ticket base now is close to 50,000 so the Bills still are making money on ticket sales even if 15,000 use their tickets.

So, do Terry and Kim suck as owners, or are they football revolutionaries?

These things are not mutually exclusive.

That press conference was a glorious disaster. It's either Whaley threw the Pegulas under the bus with Rex, or it's total mayhem. Nobody believes that Whaley had no inclination Rex was on the hot seat, right? Because if he really had zero role, then the Pegulas are running the show in a way that even PA wouldn't have imagined. I can't believe he wasn't better prepared to handle the Rex questions. Do the Bills have a media relations staff? If so, they shouldn't anymore. Good lord. Freshman communications majors could come up with better strategies.

One thing I am sure of: the Pegulas need help. I've scoffed at ancient names like Polian, but at this point I think it's undeniable that they need some kind of experienced senior hand to help steer the ship, at least for a couple years while they learn the NFL. And I'm not talking a name like Kelly to placate fans, I mean an experienced executive.

Oh and Sammy is having another foot surgery, according to Tim Graham.

To the surprise of nobody. Good, get it right.

The Pegulas are utterly and completely lost.

Whaley said he had no idea Rex was in trouble, doesn't know why Rex was fired, hasn't given the matter any thought, and has no opinion on whether it was the right move.

The fook?

Well, you don't actually believe that bit, do you? I viewed it as Whaley (in incompetent fashion) washing his hands of the Rex hire to make himself look better at a time he'd have to try to look worse. Of course, with the way he went about it, it made every look worse. Seriously, first year communications students could come up with a better answer.

I mean, if it's true, then even PA was wrong...they meddle way more than he ever imagined! Congrats PA, there's an outside shot you've been wrong for the right reasons! :p

These things are not mutually exclusive.

That press conference was a glorious disaster. It's either Whaley threw the Pegulas under the bus with Rex, or it's total mayhem. Nobody believes that Whaley had no inclination Rex was on the hot seat, right? Because if he really had zero role, then the Pegulas are running the show in a way that even PA wouldn't have imagined. I can't believe he wasn't better prepared to handle the Rex questions. Do the Bills have a media relations staff? If so, they shouldn't anymore. Good lord. Freshman communications majors could come up with better strategies.

One thing I am sure of: the Pegulas need help. I've scoffed at ancient names like Polian, but at this point I think it's undeniable that they need some kind of experienced senior hand to help steer the ship, at least for a couple years while they learn the NFL. And I'm not talking a name like Kelly to placate fans, I mean an experienced executive.

Jed York is the only reason that the Pegulas aren't the worst owners in the NFL.

Probably.

Maybe.

And if Whaley went rogue in that presser with all those "how the hell should I know" answers, then I have the utmost respect for him throwing them under the bus.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.