Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

Here's something else:  Alex Marvez, who I believe was the one who reported that TP/KP forced Rex to fire Roman, was on with John Murphy today (I think it's in the WGR vault if you're interested).  Marvez went on and on about what a dumb and unfair move it was to fire Roman.  It occurred to me that it is reasonably likely that Marvez' source was...Roman. 

So, I googled "Alex Marvez Greg Roman" and found that Marvez was the one who broke the story about Roman joining the Bills before last season and that Marvez also was the first to report that Roman had interviewed for the OC job in TB.

So, if Marvez' source was indeed Roman, it seems pretty logical that it would be in Roman's interest to depict the firing as an impulsive move by TP/KP, and more broadly to depict the Bills as a clown show organization.  From Roman's perspective, getting canned by an impulsive, clueless owner is more likely to be disregarded by a potential future employer than getting canned by Rex for poor performance.

We don't know, of course, and may never know.  But it seems pretty plausible IMHO.

Here's something else:  Alex Marvez, who I believe was the one who reported that TP/KP forced Rex to fire Roman, was on with John Murphy today (I think it's in the WGR vault if you're interested).  Marvez went on and on about what a dumb and unfair move it was to fire Roman.  It occurred to me that it is reasonably likely that Marvez' source was...Roman. 

So, I googled "Alex Marvez Greg Roman" and found that Marvez was the one who broke the story about Roman joining the Bills before last season and that Marvez also was the first to report that Roman had interviewed for the OC job in TB.

So, if Marvez' source was indeed Roman, it seems pretty logical that it would be in Roman's interest to depict the firing as an impulsive move by TP/KP, and more broadly to depict the Bills as a clown show organization.  From Roman's perspective, getting canned by an impulsive, clueless owner is more likely to be disregarded by a potential future employer than getting canned by Rex for poor performance.

We don't know, of course, and may never know.  But it seems pretty plausible IMHO.

Nice work. Seriously, that's good stuff. The meeting with the players still has to be explained though. Have the Bills commented on it? Rapaport (sic?) seems like a pretty solid NFL reporter.

Nice work. Seriously, that's good stuff. The meeting with the players still has to be explained though. Have the Bills commented on it? Rapaport (sic?) seems like a pretty solid NFL reporter.

Yes - well done, freeman. Interesting.

@PA: The player meetings have been covered at some length by Capaccio among others. As that story goes, the "meetings" are no secret, they happen occasionally throughout the season, are more informal check-ins with key players, and it's very much a non story.

Bulldog was on WGR yesterday with Capaccio playing devil's advocate, asking whether it tends to undermine a coach if the players feel they have the owners' ears. Capaccio was pretty even keeled throughout the give and take, but, to my ear, he sounded like a weary PR agent for Russ Brandon.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I thought the Pegula's were the ones who decided on Rex. I remember reading that Whaley actually preferred Hue Jackson (formerly of Oakland, now HC in Cleveland but at the time was an assistant in Cincinatti) in part because he was an offensive coach that planned on keeping Schwartz as our DC. A quick google search on my end didn't turn anything up and where ever I read it may have been inaccurate but if it's the case then Whaley shouldn't be responsible for Rex.

Still though, If I was the GM and had owners hire the coach instead of me, I would just quit.

Also if I'm a Coach its always easier to say the owners meddled with the team to much and I was unable to do my job.

Makes it look like you are not to blame for your last teams results when you apply for a new job.

Josh McDaniels as head coach next year......the problem is that he is not going to want to go somewhere with no established QB. I really like that he has been around Belicheck for so long AND that Bill wanted him back after the failed Denver stint. Maybe it would be tempting when Buffalo gets one of the top 2 QBs coming out next year.

Josh McDaniels as head coach next year......the problem is that he is not going to want to go somewhere with no established QB. I really like that he has been around Belicheck for so long AND that Bill wanted him back after the failed Denver stint. Maybe it would be tempting when Buffalo gets one of the top 2 QBs coming out next year.

No thanks. History teaches that Belichcik's genius is so evil and cunning that no disciple of his is capable of going off on his own and having success. McDaniels tried once, and failed. Add to those names: Weis, Crennel, Mangini.

I'm always weary on poaching from the Pats. It's been tried before and I don't remember it ever working

That is because it never has.

I'm always weary on poaching from the Pats. It's been tried before and I don't remember it ever working

Better than a re-tread coach like Rex. At least try and find some new blood. More teams are using their RB's as passing options this year but I bet money the thought of throwing to your RB hasn't crossed Old Man Rex's mind ever. Bring in some up and coming guys with fresh ideas because this old boys club coaches are getting us no where. 

We are one of the only teams in the league who can't figure out how to consistently get our #1 WR the ball. I am baffled by this.

This may have been brought up a long time ago but I just watched " A Football life: Doug Flutie".

The part about Wade being forced by Ralph to start Rob Johnson over Flutie in our last post season came as a surprise.

So I believe that right then and there the Flutie Curse was bestowed on the Bills. The curse will never be lifted so long as they have a meddling owner.

Believe me, I know but I truly think McDaniels has got some talent. I suppose none of it really matters because Whaley and Russ are gone if things don't turn around quickly. Get that new GM and clean house (especially Brandon). If Pegula wants to hang on to Brandon and the GM is not in favor, the losing will never ever stop. Russ can't even stay on for Marketing, he needs to get the hell out of here...

Better than a re-tread coach like Rex. At least try and find some new blood. More teams are using their RB's as passing options this year but I bet money the thought of throwing to your RB hasn't crossed Old Man Rex's mind ever. Bring in some up and coming guys with fresh ideas because this old boys club coaches are getting us no where.

We are one of the only teams in the league who can't figure out how to consistently get our #1 WR the ball. I am baffled by this.

Sir, McDaniels is a re-tread.

You said McDaniels is a better option than a re-tread, and I was simply pointing out the logical flaw in that argument.

Actually what I said was "Better than a re-tread coach like Rex". I was not aware that the coach being discussed had been a head coach before. Sorry Sir, I didn't know that Sir. No one uses Sir on a message board unless they are trying to be somewhat of a dick. Just my take on that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.