Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

Fair point, T web.

In those flat management orgs and companies, though, the very top people are presumably steeped in the industry, and know it inside and out. I'm not sure that's the case here.

That's probably true in most cases but not all. You don't need to know the intricacies of every department to know if the department head is doing a good job.

The coach-owner direct report thing is hugely problematic.

I'm open to the idea that the Pegulas are meddlesome, and therefore far less than optimal, Bills owners. I still think this is more a function of Brandon.

Has Pegula ever said it's the same with Bylsma? I don't recall hearing that.

Also: No need to revive the sexism-baiting swipe at Mrs. Pegula. Bad look before, bad look now.

All I meant was, yuck, Kim also thinks she has earned the right to sit down with the head coach and discuss the offense and who should coach it. As to your interpretation of my yuck -- yuck.

Disagree strongly on the bolded. Guys that are generally agreed upon as being "franchise QBs" don't miss often, but those guys are also extremely rare.

I also think the draft system screws QBs. You're at the top of the draft because you suck. A lot of teams are at the top of the draft for a long time because they have a culture of sucking. So they bring in a QB who is expected to play well in that is tough.

That's why the Bills need to dive deep into the mind of every QB. There are prospects who have done great elsewhere who I believe would've failed miserably here.

I'll happily disagree about the franchise QB subject. But I'm with you on everything else. What I'm trying to say is that there are a ton more misses than hits when it comes to drafting QB's basically. And the Bills haven't even come close since Kelly.

So after listening to Rex's presser, I think there's a pretty good likelihood that canning Roman was indeed at Rex's initiative, and not forced by TP/KP. (Not certain though by any means.)

In particular, it sounded like Rex did not like the way TT was being utilized. I'd guess that Rex wants to see TT using his legs more. Rex also mentioned wanting to get more out of Watkins -- entirely reasonable after the way he was used in the first 2 games.

I may be kidding myself, but I also have a hard time believing that TP/KP really ordered Rex to fire Roman. I don't think I've ever heard of anything like that happening in week two of an NFL season. They might have asked Rex a bunch of tough questions about the offense, but that isn't the same thing as a ordering him to fire his coordinator.

So if in fact this was Rex's call, he is really going to have to deliver a good rest of the season in order to save his job. And, I have to believe that if Rex goes, Whaley is definitely gone and quite possibly Brandon as well. (Let's remember that Ted Black was given his walking papers by the Sabres after failing in a similar role to the one Brandon has now.) That would mean probably a much stronger front office next season, including the draft – with grown-ups making decisions on trades and so forth.

Or, Rex and Lynn really deliver the goods by unlocking the potential of TT, Watkins, Clay, McCoy and Dareus, and the Bills make a miracle run to 10 and 6.

Either of those works for me.

And then this comes out.....

https://www.facebook.com/rapsheetnfl/posts/1143539289045982

According to multiple sources, Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula convened private meetings Friday morning with several offensive standouts to discuss the offense. They aimed to get a tenor of what was going on and picked the brains of players on several issues, including play-calling. They tried to figure out what was wrong.

Rex Ryan -- the coach who said the decision to fire Roman two games into the season was "my move, without question" -- was not present for these meetings. He wasn't in the room. Ryan also wasn't pleased when he learned of the nature of them, according to one source briefed on his thinking.

These meetings, involving key players such as quarterback Tyrod Taylor and others, are one reason why some principals believe ownership played a role in Roman's dismissal.

All I meant was, yuck, Kim also thinks she has earned the right to sit down with the head coach and discuss the offense and who should coach it. As to your interpretation of my yuck -- yuck.

My bad. Mea culpa.

HFS.

PA, I was equivocal on the meddling angle years ago. Was even receptive to X's idea that "meddling" is essentially "owning." And I think that, insofar as the Sabres go, he may not even be THAT interested.

But this sh1t with the Bills. An owner reportedly meeting with players before leaning on a coach to fire an OC after two games? And taking feedback from a QB who inexcusably misseed 5 or 6 standard NFL throws?

If that ain't a worst case scenario, well, you can see it from there.

If you can't trust your head coach to figure those things out on his own, why is he employed?

The pegula's just tipped their hand. Not sure what legitimate coach would take that crap. If I was Rex, I'd resign today. Keep some integrity man.

Amen, Amen.

And what prospective head coach would covet that gig?

No thanks.

I think legit HC and GM candidates will line up for the Bills' job once Brandon and Whaley are gone. There are very few of these jobs, and TP/KP have demonstrated their willingness to throw money at the situation.

Also fair.

The limit of supply is a factor in the Bills' favour. And the money of course.

If they could rid themselves of Brandon, I'd feel a whole lot better. Maybe he wasn't in these player meetings. Oddly, that'd be a good sign.

I'll skip the "right to meddle" part of the debate. This would be very bad meddling, right notwithstanding. You shouldn't emasculate managers. Managers shouldn't stand for emasculation. I'd even like to hear a player or two said "you should be asking coach Rex".

You'll always get candidates, true. There are fewer coaching jobs than there are US Senators. I wonder, though, if you'll get those with options.

How they could possibly have thought this wouldn't get out is beyond me.

All of the above recognizing that we're working with incomplete information. All rights to revise opinion reserved.

Mike Shanahan, he of two Super Bowl rings, was willing to work for Daniel Snyder, the most meddling of meddlers. That turned out to be disastrous, but that's besides the point...qualified candidates aren't going to spurn the Bills because they're worried ownership cares too much (how's that for putting spin on meddling? I'm pretty proud of myself right now).

I'll skip the "right to meddle" part of the debate. This would be very bad meddling, right notwithstanding. You shouldn't emasculate managers. Managers shouldn't stand for emasculation. I'd even like to hear a player or two said "you should be asking coach Rex".

You'll always get candidates, true. There are fewer coaching jobs than there are US Senators. I wonder, though, if you'll get those with options.

How they could possibly have thought this wouldn't get out is beyond me.

All of the above recognizing that we're working with incomplete information. All rights to revise opinion reserved.

Dude, you're ruining my fun.

Think Rex leaked it? Anyway, I'm more convinced by the day that the Bills need a football version of Tim Murray.

What's your line of thinking? That Murray put the Pegulas in their place and a football Murray could do the same?

My bad. Mea culpa.

HFS.

PA, I was equivocal on the meddling angle years ago. Was even receptive to X's idea that "meddling" is essentially "owning." And I think that, insofar as the Sabres go, he may not even be THAT interested.

But this sh1t with the Bills. An owner reportedly meeting with players before leaning on a coach to fire an OC after two games? And taking feedback from a QB who inexcusably misseed 5 or 6 standard NFL throws?

If that ain't a worst case scenario, well, you can see it from there.

I am hopeful that Terry indeed lost interest in the Sabres, at least enough interest to not want to meddle anymore, that the Sabres were merely prelude to the big fish, the Bills. I am also suspicious that he backed off during the tank and will be more involved again when the team is good. (This all assumes he's not still meddling and doing a better job of covering tracks. Murray seems to be the key here. A lot of people just can't imagine Murray putting up with Bylsma reporting to Pegula and Pegula meeting with Eichel and O'Reilly, then pushing for an assistant coach to be canned.)

I think legit HC and GM candidates will line up for the Bills' job once Brandon and Whaley are gone.  There are very few of these jobs, and TP/KP have demonstrated their willingness to throw money at the situation.

Not sure why you have such an interest in Brandon being shitcanned when he appears to be doing a good job on the business side. He's restricted to that side, no? I think Brandon is the Pegula's golden boy and won't be going anywhere.

Oooh, this is gonna get good.  I'll make some popcorn.

Believe it or not, I don't take any pleasure in news like this. I do remain very surprised that I had to fight this battle virtually by myself.

Not sure why you have such an interest in Brandon being shitcanned when he appears to be doing a good job on the business side. He's restricted to that side, no? I think Brandon is the Pegula's golden boy and won't be going anywhere.

Well, his title is President, which doesn't imply any limitations.  He also chose Whaley and was reportedly substantially involved in hiring Rex and the Watkins trade.

I want him gone because he's presided over the generation in the wilderness.

I do remain very surprised that I had to fight this battle virtually by myself.

PA, most folks as pessimistic as you about the Bills long ago lost the passion to want to engage in that fight.  I find all of this somewhat amusing.  It's all I have left.

As for the Sabres end of the discussion..... the sand is running out.

PA, most folks as pessimistic as you about the Bills long ago lost the passion to want to engage in that fight.  I find all of this somewhat amusing.  It's all I have left.

As for the Sabres end of the discussion..... the sand is running out.

My fight was against meddling Buffalo sports owner Pegula. Obviously the war on that front shifted to the southtowns. To be more clear, I am surprised more people didn't see that Pegula is a meddler and would take his act to Orchard Park. Why is there any shock about today's news? And to think, this is only the stuff that has come out. He's probably inflating and deflating balls at halftime.

Well, his title is President, which doesn't imply any limitations.  He also chose Whaley and was reportedly substantially involved in hiring Rex and the Watkins trade.

I want him gone because he's presided over the generation in the wilderness.

Fair enough. I don't follow all that stuff anymore. If he's that involved in the football side, he should definitely be out the door ASAP.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.