GDT: Boston @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm est, 2-4-2016

WildCard

I'll play devil's advocate and suggest DD may be reluctant to use Eichel and Reinhart in the shootouts because he has observed in practice that they just aren't very good at it and doesn't want to give them that pressure as a result.

GO SABRES!!!

More than fair. Still don't like seeing Gionta out there, that felt like more of a BFF decision than a hockey decision.

Eh, but he put Jack out there in the first SO of the season. This is a growing year, not giving your guys chances where they can learn is detrimental

Not saying he is right, just that he may have his reasons based on observations in practice, ergo devil's advocate. And IIRC, Jack looked feeble on his SO attempt, too.

GO SABRES!!!

Pretty sure Ennis has one too. Slapper IIRC

I do recall this now that you mention it.

Have we scored a goal in either 5-on-3 play or 4-on-3 OT play this season? We've looked clueless in these situations. And it kills me watching our perimeter play in OT when there's a Sam stapled to the bench who excels in front of the net, and would draw skaters to him that open up lanes so we don't have to keep passing the puck on the outside without generating real chances for two straight minutes.

Even though Eichel's first ever shootout attempt in the NHL wasn't a great one, I don't think that matters. He has the skill where, with a bit of practice, he's going to be good at it. He needs to be shooting.

And Sam, he's too smart to not be good at it. We have seen him excel in so many areas, whatever he has been asked to do. Who would have predicted he'd be the best on our team at net front presence? He's just so hockey smart he can pick up anything it seems. I'll also go on record saying that once Reinhart gets some practice at it, he will become our best shootout player.

Yeah he did.

Is Moulson the only Sabre to score in a shootout this season?

Pretty sure Ennis has one too. Slapper IIRC

Moulson and Ennis are the only 2 to score a shootout goal this season for the Sabres. The team is 2 of 17 in the shootout. Both goals came in the same game vs. Toronto....a long time ago (Oct. 21st).

IIRC it was GODD that said DB was the coach we needed now. But not the coach of the future.

He has instilled a structured hockey system. The 4-3 in overtime was structured but also pathetic. This team needed the building blocks of a structured system an DB was the best available for the job. But a half season in we see the Dan may be able to disco, but he just can't in game tango.

The positives:

Since the 2nd half of the season has started the Sabres are 6-4-1

Since Kane has been moved to the 3rd line, that trio has 6 of the 13 goals scored in the last 6 games.... Kane 3 Gionta 2 Larrson 1

Kane is the only player in the league to lead his team in SOGs and Hits

Girgensons looks like his old self since getting teamed up with Eichel.

Since Pysyk came back to the lineup the eye test says we've become smoother and faster in getting the puck out of our zone

Our 4th line is showing energy with Nicky D back although he played less than 6 minutes yesterday

The positives:

Since Kane has been moved to the 3rd line, that trio has 6 of the 13 goals scored in the last 6 games.... Kane 3 Gionta 2 Larrson 1

Since Pysyk came back to the lineup the eye test says we've become smoother and faster in getting the puck out of our zone

Our 4th line is showing energy with Nicky D back although he played less than 6 minutes yesterday

Negs

O'Reilly playing hurt?

Sabres can't play 3 periods

They badly need another scorer

Hope Folingo is ok

D is ok but slow

Psyk and McCabe need to bulk up.

I'll play devil's advocate and suggest DD may be reluctant to use Eichel and Reinhart in the shootouts because he has observed in practice that they just aren't very good at it and doesn't want to give them that pressure as a result.

GO SABRES!!!

This is baloney. Jack Eichel is an elite talent. You're saying the coach wants to shield him from pressure, in a season that's a wash at this point? Jack Eichel should have been the first player off the bench. At home, vs. Boston? Are you shitting me?

This is baloney. Jack Eichel is an elite talent. You're saying the coach wants to shield him from pressure, in a season that's a wash at this point? Jack Eichel should have been the first player off the bench. At home, vs. Boston? Are you shitting me?

You don't give a rookie anything, he needs to earn it in practice.

Yup. He's the most talented player on the team. I don't care what he does in practice. Play to win. 

The positives:

Good post.

Kane has been a monster lately.  I thought his line was the Sabres' best line last night, and his goal was a beauty (and involved some nice passing and movement -- for those who think Kane's skills in that area are lacking).  Larsson seems like he's usually in the right place at the right time -- he just needs a little bit more finish.

The positives:

Kane really leads our team in shots? Thought for sure that would be Jack

You don't give a rookie anything, he needs to earn it in practice.

Ted Nolan, is that you?

:worthy:

Kane really leads our team in shots? Thought for sure that would be Jack

Ted Nolan, is that you?

I thought that was great, are you paying me back for the Montreal GDT complement???

I'm torn on the Eichel on the shootout spot. I agree he's our most skilled player and should be on the first threesome but I also like the idea of Bylsma making him earn the spot and not just giving it to him. Now it may annoy the fan base but I think in the long run it'll make Jack a much better player. Let's face it that point we may or may not have lost isn't as important as making him the best player he can be.

Oh and before I forget, SiZzlEmeIsTEr that was hilarious.

Edited by jsb

I thought that was great, are you paying me back for the Montreal GDT complement???

I'm torn on the Eichel on the shootout spot. I agree he's our most skilled player and should be on the first threesome but I also like the idea of Bylsma making him earn the spot and not just giving it to him. Now it may annoy the fan base but I think in the long run it'll make Jack a much better player. Let's face it that point we may or may not have lost isn't as important as making him the best player he can be.

How does one earn a shootout spot?  Jack has been this teams best player since Christmas IMO, is on a point per game pace since then and has actually scored on breakaways this season.  What else does he have to do to 'earn' it?

;)

I just have a really, really hard time believing Gionta and Kane are better in practice at the shootout than Jack

;)

I just have a really, really hard time believing Gionta and Kane are better in practice at the shootout than Jack

I dunno, did you see Gionta snipe 4 targets in 8 seconds? :P

And it was fitting that Kane's first shot in the skills competition went 4 feet high.

Both had great games last night, I thought. I've gotten less angry about shootout losses recently. Just a tie plus a skills competition loss for a bonus point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.