GDT: Boston @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm est, 2-4-2016

WildCard

I thought that was great, are you paying me back for the Montreal GDT complement???

I'm torn on the Eichel on the shootout spot. I agree he's our most skilled player and should be on the first threesome but I also like the idea of Bylsma making him earn the spot and not just giving it to him. Now it may annoy the fan base but I think in the long run it'll make Jack a much better player. Let's face it that point we may or may not have lost isn't as important as making him the best player he can be.

Oh and before I forget, SiZzlEmeIsTEr that was hilarious.

If DB thinks a player as talented as Jack needs to earn a spot as trivial as a shoot out spot, there are even bigger problems with his thought process than I already thought.

;)

I just have a really, really hard time believing Gionta and Kane are better in practice at the shootout than Jack

I feel like I'm falling into the sticking up for Bylsma trap, it may have been nothing more or less than a reward for being the best line on the team since the All-Star break.

This is baloney. Jack Eichel is an elite talent. You're saying the coach wants to shield him from pressure, in a season that's a wash at this point? Jack Eichel should have been the first player off the bench. At home, vs. Boston? Are you shitting me?

Please point to where I agree with Bylsma. That's right, you can't. I also said that Bylsma may be basing his decision on what he observes in practice. In the meantime,please acquaint yourself with the term "devil's advocate" and get the phuck out of my face,

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

Even though Eichel's first ever shootout attempt in the NHL wasn't a great one, I don't think that matters. He has the skill where, with a bit of practice, he's going to be good at it. He needs to be shooting.

And Sam, he's too smart to not be good at it. We have seen him excel in so many areas, whatever he has been asked to do. Who would have predicted he'd be the best on our team at net front presence? He's just so hockey smart he can pick up anything it seems. I'll also go on record saying that once Reinhart gets some practice at it, he will become our best shootout player.

They're very young, consistently missing in shootouts can damage their confidence especially when there's so much pressure on them to perform.     If I'm DB and those two are quietly sitting on the bench before the shootout I don't put them in.   If they're begging to go in, then yeah put them in... but for now let the veterans take the fall.

But seriously, Gionta over Eichel?   That's just dumb.

It seems like picking the 3 players who played the best that particular game would be a good way to decide who starts a shootout but Kane should be way down the list.

In the skills competition they showed during intermission between Kane and Gionta, Kane skated in and took the same shot 3 times, all saves. He has no business being first 3 over the boards in a game situation, ever.

Free Eichel and Reinhart and give Zemgus a chance too.

I'll try to post this while still laughing at the gifs above.

There is a single explanation I have for that shootout selection.  There is a belief in the front office that 1 point is better than 2 this season.

The Sabres will be good, but not THAT good yet.

I'm going back to laughing at the gifs.  It makes me feel better.

Also, Eichel is hanging onto the past.  How many times is he going to attempt the wrap around attempt he had success with in Ottawa?  I think I saw it twice last night and at least once in Montreal.  It's like.. ooo, this worked once.  

Meh

There is a single explanation I have for that shootout selection.  There is a belief in the front office that 1 point is better than 2 this season.

Also, Eichel is hanging onto the past.  How many times is he going to attempt the wrap around attempt he had success with in Ottawa?  I think I saw it twice last night and at least once in Montreal.  It's like.. ooo, this worked once.  

Meh

Enough times that the D and GT think he's going to, opening up something else. I think you'll start to see him stop and tuck the puck back into the short side from below the goal line, or skate out from behind the net and pass to the far post or slot.

Meh

So DDB is trying to tank via his shootout selections?

I'll say NFW on that.

It seems like picking the 3 players who played the best that particular game would be a good way to decide who starts a shootout but Kane should be way down the list.

In the skills competition they showed during intermission between Kane and Gionta, Kane skated in and took the same shot 3 times, all saves. He has no business being first 3 over the boards in a game situation, ever.

Free Eichel and Reinhart and give Zemgus a chance too.

you think he was trying?  its a joke to those guys, they're just messing aournd.

Meh

We finally have an elite talent who pulls off a sick wrap-around goal, then he tries it a couple more times and you're all over him?   You should be ashamed.

So DDB is trying to tank via his shootout selections?

I'll say NFW on that.

I almost want to give him Kane because the guy has been flying.  But Gio?  I don't know.  I guess we'll have to go with DDB being incompetent in some way.  Hell, he would have been better served putting Moulson out there as some coaches will do just to give the guy a chance to put the puck in the net for once.

He had a lot of success in the NCAA and Worlds with the wrap around. His long stick and crazy lower body strength are perfect for it

They are... but it was expected each time by the defenders.  Leading to turnovers.

Enough times that the D and GT think he's going to, opening up something else. I think you'll start to see him stop and tuck the puck back into the short side from below the goal line, or skate out from behind the net and pass to the far post or slot.

Hopefully so. But I'm not a fan of fail at it 3 times just to try and bait some other team in the 4th time.  Given the defenders were already looking for him to wrap it when he went behind his best course of action would have been to attempt that move in one of the past 3 attempts.  Creativity isn't flowing as I would hope yet.  He persists in his patterns, like skating down the wall and trying that weak back pass off the boards which also is starting to result in turnovers. 

you think he was trying?  its a joke to those guys, they're just messing aournd.

We finally have an elite talent who pulls off a sick wrap-around goal, then he tries it a couple more times and you're all over him?   You should be ashamed.

I'm not ashamed for being critical with reason. Eichel is not infallible. I can point out numerous repetitive mistakes (as I did above with the board drop pass) that players are picking up on.  Eichel is incredibly talented but I can see points where he appears almost arrogant in the way he plays. He SHOULD expect that he can make those plays, he SHOULD also expect that the players on the ice will catch on when he tries the same thing too often.

I'm as jacked as anyone when he does something new.  When he comes into the zone and makes a perfect backhand flip pass to a teammate I'm legitimately stoked that he's on the Sabres.  At the same time, when he falls into the trap of making the same moves and it results in turnovers I hope for more.  I am sure the coaches spoke to him on the one goal.  He was out of position the entire time in his defensive zone.  He floated too high to the point and when he realized it he turned and ended up right on top of Johnson.  So close that his stick tangled with Johnson and he could not get it over to try and deflect the puck from the shooter.

Do you guys recall when Eichel got the puck on the left wing in the offensive zone, and walked his way around a guy, slashed through the slot diagonally and ripped a shot wide? The crowd was buzzing while he did it, and I stood out of my chair at home. We have a guy that makes us do that every game, even if he doesn't find the scoreboard. Pretty sweet.

Meh

You must not have been paying to much attention, because he also tried a pass from the same move, building on the move

IIRC it was GODD that said DB was the coach we needed now. But not the coach of the future.

He has instilled a structured hockey system. The 4-3 in overtime was structured but also pathetic. This team needed the building blocks of a structured system an DB was the best available for the job. But a half season in we see the Dan may be able to disco, but he just can't in game tango.

He's horrible.

I'll repeat: when this team arrives, Bylsma won't be the coach.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.