2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

Kuli doesn't have points right now, but he's had a HUGE impact on this team's offense. We cannot afford to let this guy go with what we have left available.

Agreed. This guy is a must-sign.

I'd be comfortable with Kulikov-Ristolainen, McCabe-X going forward. I was actually good with that being Bogosian for a while, but the latest injury again casts a ton of doubt on him being a feasible option.

I thought we needed Fowler, but realistically Shattenkirk would be the much better addition, especially if we could dump Bogosian, provided his injury concerns just become too much.

Kulikov - Ristolainen

McCabe - Shattenkirk

I like.

(Disclaimer: We won't be getting Shattenkirk.)

Agreed. This guy is a must-sign.

I'd be comfortable with Kulikov-Ristolainen, McCabe-X going forward. I was actually good with that being Bogosian for a while, but the latest injury again casts a ton of doubt on him being a feasible option.

I thought we needed Fowler, but realistically Shattenkirk would be the much better addition, especially if we could dump Bogosian, provided his injury concerns just become too much.

Kulikov - Ristolainen

McCabe - Shattenkirk

I like.

(Disclaimer: We won't be getting Shattenkirk.)

Sir, my dream is perfectly capable of dying of natural causes. No need for you to shoot it.

So if Bogo is out longish term, I have no idea what we're going to do. Despite my dislike for his game, we really are in a tough spot without him. I have a hard time seeing Nelson or Franson picking up his minutes, so one of Kulikov/Gorges/McCabe is going to have to play their off hand side. My initial thought was that Kulikov-Risto get put together to lug huge minutes, think 27+, then Gorges-McCabe pick up most of the rest, with scraps for Nelson-Franson.

But honestly, that 3rd pair is a catastrophe. I think the better option is for Kulikov-Risto huge minutes, then balance out the rest with Gorges babysitting Nelson defensively, and McCabe using his skating to help cover for Franson.

Not gonna be pretty either way.

Would agree that putting Gorges out w/ Nelson & McCabe- Franson is better that the other pairing option. But at home w/ the last change, it may be worth the risk of getting Nelson-Franson caught occasionally w/ a bad matchup to get reasonable play from a Gorges-McCabe 2nd pairing.

Either way, may be seeing intermission IV's in Kulikov & Ristolainen's short term futures. They will log some SERIOUS minutes.

Happy to see Carrier get a shot as well. His first NHL action, right?

At first I was like: No - can't be. He was previously called up, got into a fight, etc.

Then I realized that was probably D-Lo.

Looks like it's his first game. I hope his family can attend.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Actually, I don't advocate not re-signing Kulikov.  I'm advising to take the whole season and see how he plays and if his play merits it, then re-sign after the expansion draft so we don;t have to waste a slot protecting him.  I further advise that if he continues to produce nothing (or very little) on the offensive side, then re-signing him will be a waste of resources.

Someone mentioned scouts from SJ and Ana in the building last night. If they were there for us and not TO, it makes sense to showcase as many players as possible. I think Bailey is in the Sabres long term plans but who knows about Carrier?

Actually, I don't advocate not re-signing Kulikov. I'm advising to take the whole season and see how he plays and if his play merits it, then re-sign after the expansion draft so we don;t have to waste a slot protecting him. I further advise that if he continues to produce nothing (or very little) on the offensive side, then re-signing him will be a waste of resources.

Just because two other forwards touch the puck after he does doesn't mean he isn't key to driving offense.

Yes. I am worried about Murray's love of his guys. 

I don't. Not yet, anyway.

Every GM, every scout, every coach -- they all have their guys. And they all love their guys.

The trick is two-fold: Having a GM who loves the right guys and who will non-sentimentally move on from one of those guys when there's a chance to improve the team.

Just because two other forwards touch the puck after he does doesn't mean he isn't key to driving offense.

His shooting is horrid. He controls play to an extent but he has to directly impact offensive to warrant a long term investment.

We would have seen him sooner if the "love" ran as deep as some think.

The only reason we did not see him in Buffalo last season was because he got injured. Failing that, he would have been in Buffalo for an extended look. (Or so I heard on the radio.)

He's still a young guy. And a big fella. Maybe he still has a long ways to go before he approaches his ceiling.

I don't place any particular significance in the fact that he's not been up with the big club yet.

Bailey was send down after not meeting expectations per DD.

Ouch

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.