GDT: Detroit @ Buffalo, 1:00 pm est, 1/2/2015

WildCard

I went to the movies and watched joy today with family, sad to not see eichel score, but at this point I'll catch games when I can, no point throwing away a Saturday afternoon.

I kinda hoped to see a W, a 4 game losing streak sucks when if it was a winning streak gets us into a WC conversation. It's sad to see some of our offensive guys so inept, idk of our coaching is part of that or if these guys just aren't right.

What happened to the possession team with heavy shots on goal and a nice PP to start the season? Everyone just said we had bad puck luck and that would change, it appears we have regressed to the mean, what explanations are there for that?

#buffalosports in january

This rebuild might take longer than I thought, Bailey and Baptiste won't be regulars till 2017 - 2018.   Either would complement Eichel or Samson.

Tim murray might want to speed things up and do a trade though.

Oh we're probably still 5 years from a Cup.  Playoffs next year maybe, then progressively deeper runs and maybe even a trip to the finals but falling short, but I think it will take probably 5 years before they win it all, whether they make trades or bring talent up through the system.

What's even worse about being 28th in the league in scoring is, about 10 games into the season the Sabres were near the top in power play, corsi and shots on goal. So they've had to regress that much more to over the last 30 games to put themselves near the bottom in all those categories. It's not like they started off at the bottom. 

Also, I don't agree with Reinhart's last goal being unassisted. Both O'Reilly and Risto (I think he's the one that took the shot) should get assists for that. No Detroit players did anything but tip the puck...

Pretty sure he didn't touch it on the way towards the net, so the Wing shot (or kicked, it's been a couple of hours since seeing the goal) the puck into his own goal. Last Sabre to touch it (Reinhart) gets credited w/ the goal & there is no assist when shot in by the defending team. That was scored properly.

And, not in response to the quoted post, but just in general ...

Wonder if Lehner being back in practice is causing Johnson to hear footsteps? He was not good in the 3rd against the Caps (who are a VERY good team) and gave up at least 1 bad one and could have stopped 3 of the goals w/ a little luck or (on the 4th) a little skill. If it is due to him doing the proverbial, "looking over his shoulder," would explain why he's never been able to become a #1 (well, that and his down low puck handling which was MUCH better the past month). He had not been giving up the bad goal, the past month or so; but early season Johnson appears to be back unfortunately.

Surprised how bad the pp looked in the 1st. Losing that initial draw had them out of sync on the 1st one & it just continued on the next one.

Not sure why, other than getting hit by his stick, Rob Ray thought Ristolainen looked bad today. He was much better than against the Isles.

Hoping the fluke goal boosts Reinhart. He's still been getting to the right spots, but has been losing more battles than winning lately. Since that killer pass to O'Reilly a few games ago, he's seemed slightly off. Here's to this one getting him on a bit of a tear.

Really looking forward to getting Pysyk back. And Lehner.

Like McGinn a lot. Would really like to see an upgrade on LW to allow him to be on the 3rd line. It could be Kane that displaces him though right now it doesn't look likely short term at least. Moulson falling off the map this year is really hurting.

Even though it would cost a year of an ELC, really want to see Fasching in B&G this Spring unless they've made a trade for an upgrade.

Very pleased w/ McCabe's game today.

And lastly, they HAVE to win games like Thursday night & today. Losing moral victory games against the Caps are ok (not ideal, but acceptable). These last 2 stick in the craw. They have to play better against FLA. Missing the playoffs IS acceptable this year. Losing winnable games at home is NOT. That's 2 in a row. They can't go to 3.

Pretty sure he didn't touch it on the way towards the net, so the Wing shot (or kicked, it's been a couple of hours since seeing the goal) the puck into his own goal. Last Sabre to touch it (Reinhart) gets credited w/ the goal & there is no assist when shot in by the defending team. That was scored properly.

I have a feeling this is the case, but I still think it should have two assists tacked on. Unless the own goal is a 100% boneheaded play it was caused by the play that took place prior to the defending player knocking it into their own net.

I don't know if I'm saying the scoring is wrong as much as I'm saying I disagree with the way it's scored.

I used to make jokes like that when I was your age. I'll be 47 in three weeks and they seem less funny now.

Wait, so you're saying that since your circumstances have changed and you're directly impacted by a joke it isn't so much funny and is possibly offensive?  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I have a feeling this is the case, but I still think it should have two assists tacked on. Unless the own goal is a 100% boneheaded play it was caused by the play that took place prior to the defending player knocking it into their own net.

I don't know if I'm saying the scoring is wrong as much as I'm saying I disagree with the way it's scored.

:

Fair enough.

Wait, so you're saying that since your circumstances have changed and you're directly impacted by a joke it isn't so much funny and is possibly offensive?  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I don't get offended. it just wasn't funny.

---

Actually, it was funny, but only because it was hurtful and probably true.

Ah, Potato, now I see what you're getting at.  I understand.  Yes, Doughty or Karlsson would be great.  Too bad those guys don't grow on trees!

I agree that great defensemen are hard to find. But, the way we're playing, we'll most likely have a top 3 or 4 pick in the 2016 draft, which puts us in Jakob Chychrun territory.

Unfortunately, we have a former #3 overall pick defenseman on our roster... and he doesn't offer much on the offensive end (Bogosian).

I don't get offended. it just wasn't funny.

---

Actually, it was funny, but only because it was hurtful and probably true.

Do you know something I don't? Lupus, is it lupus?

Ahhhh, you made him change it. I thought it was funny.

Edited by PASabreFan

Do you know something I don't? Lupus, is it lupus?

Ahhhh, you made him change it. I thought it was funny.

We could be so lucky.

I just know that it will take more than being historically bad for two years in order to win a Stanley Cup.

Hard to score when you can't get the puck out and rely on constant neutral zone dumps

I think we're lacking snipers on this team, and the ones we have (Moulson and Ennis) aren't getting the job done. Which players on the Sabres right now have a great shot? Imagine a Vanek or Pominville on this team.

Ennis's shot is below average imo. when he's doing well, that's not the reason why. I also don't think Kane's shot is great. It's above average, but from what I had heard before the trade I expected it to be better.

Eichel's shot is fantastic and Risto's is decent, but with Risto, he knows exactly where to put it to get it through, get rebounds, or beat the goalie depending on what he sees.

Hard to score when you can't get the puck out and rely on constant neutral zone dumps

Yup. One of my favorite hockey-related points I've read recently is "The worst thing to ever happen to defensemen was to be named defensemen." 

Ennis's shot is below average imo. when he's doing well, that's not the reason why. I also don't think Kane's shot is great. It's above average, but from what I had heard before the trade I expected it to be better.

Eichel's shot is fantastic and Risto's is decent, but with Risto, he knows exactly where to put it to get it through, get rebounds, or beat the goalie depending on what he sees.

Agree on Ennis, but I do think Kane has an excellent shot...he just has poor shot selection (and general hockey IQ). 

Yup. One of my favorite hockey-related points I've read recently is "The worst thing to ever happen to defensemen was to be named defensemen."

Agree on Ennis, but I do think Kane has an excellent shot...he just has poor shot selection (and general hockey IQ).

I just think excellent hits those corners that he always aims for a little more often than he does. But I don't disagree enough to really argue about it. I'll also note that I think he played a nice game today, some of is blind drop passes actually hit guys in scoring position!

Doesn't make him a sniper. He keyed on the great play of John Tavares, one of the top playmakers of the league.

Kane and Eichel have great shots.

Moulson's shooting percentages those years say otherwise. His career percentages are pretty impressive too. We can split hairs about what a "sniper" is but he's a guy who knows how to put the puck in the net.

Eichel has a terrific shot. Kane not so much from what we've seen this year (he misses the net quite a bit). Plus his shooting percentages the last few years are pretty low. He has a hard shot but it's not super accurate, something Jets fans pointed out when the trade went down.

I just think excellent hits those corners that he always aims for a little more often than he does. But I don't disagree enough to really argue about it. I'll also note that I think he played a nice game today, some of is blind drop passes actually hit guys in scoring position!

That's more than fair. I think part of it is he's just always trying to make perfect snipes and it's quite good enough to pull it off, so he misses a lot. The other part is he takes them from seemingly impossible angles so he's naturally aiming at tiny windows that are easier to miss than to hit. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Chad johnsson did not have a great night.

Im so frustrated that when Ullmark is playing, they cant score enough, and when Chad is in goal, they do. Wtf ..

This goalieswitch thingie needs to stop.

Only 1 goal (#4) was on Johnson. The other three were a result of bad, bad defense. These Sabres are more exciting offensively, but they are still in tank mode on D. Edited by PromoTheRobot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.