GDT: Detroit @ Buffalo, 1:00 pm est, 1/2/2015

WildCard

Only 1 goal (#4) was on Johnson. The other three were a result of bad, bad defense. These Sabres are more exciting offensively, but they are still in tank mode on D.

Didnt say he was bad, just that he didnt have one of those great nights. 

I just dont like this idea with switching the goalies, specially when one of them has a good game, keep him in the net then. 

Ennis's shot is below average imo. when he's doing well, that's not the reason why. I also don't think Kane's shot is great. It's above average, but from what I had heard before the trade I expected it to be better.

Eichel's shot is fantastic and Risto's is decent, but with Risto, he knows exactly where to put it to get it through, get rebounds, or beat the goalie depending on what he sees.

I don't think I would say that Ennis's shot is "below average", but I wouldn't consider him a sniper either. This is one thing I don't understand about having Ennis at the point on the PP, his strength is quick hands more than his shot. Ennis should be down low around the net picking up rebounds and working on the half wall, not trying to get shots through from the point.

With Moulson I don't know, it may just be an older player not happy and/or not buying into a system of dump and chase.

I don't think I would say that Ennis's shot is "below average", but I wouldn't consider him a sniper either. This is one thing I don't understand about having Ennis at the point on the PP, his strength is quick hands more than his shot. Ennis should be down low around the net picking up rebounds and working on the half wall, not trying to get shots through from the point.

With Moulson I don't know, it may just be an older player not happy and/or not buying into a system of dump and chase.

Moulson is a step slower than most of the players in the top six.  I just see him as a piece not fitting the puzzle.  I would love a change of scenery trade if we could fine someone who isn't a much worse off contract.  

Moulson is a step slower than most of the players in the top six. I just see him as a piece not fitting the puzzle. I would love a change of scenery trade if we could fine someone who isn't a much worse off contract.

I understand your motives but this is a guy who came back to the Sabres knowing they wouldn't be good for a couple of seasons and has taken their franchise player into his home with his family. I don't think he gets moved unless he asks to be.

I understand your motives but this is a guy who came back to the Sabres knowing they wouldn't be good for a couple of seasons and has taken their franchise player into his home with his family. I don't think he gets moved unless he asks to be.

Seriously, if all he does this year is help Jack Eichel transition to the NHL, I'm OK with that.  In the meantime, there has to be a way to get him going. I still see a guy that could score 25 goals for us.

Seriously, if all he does this year is help Jack Eichel transition to the NHL, I'm OK with that. In the meantime, there has to be a way to get him going. I still see a guy that could score 25 goals for us.

He was a classic mop up guy for Tavares. I say get him in that role with 15. I think they played together for 1.5 games.

He was a classic mop up guy for Tavares. I say get him in that role with 15. I think they played together for 1.5 games.

Yes, please.  We could use a mop up guy.  We're good at generating chances.  Eichel and Girgensons seem good together, put Moulson on the other wing.

Yes, please.  We could use a mop up guy.  We're good at generating chances.  Eichel and Girgensons seem good together, put Moulson on the other wing.

Chances... that's the thing. Twenty in the one Capitals game alone. It's hard to blame the coach or the system. It points to a lack of offensive talent, something intangible like the uncanny knack for taking advantage of a chance at a critical time. Funny, I haven't heard much lately about puck luck or "regressing to the mean" when it comes to opponents' save percentages ("progressing to the mean" in teams of shooting percentage?). Maybe this team is what it is. Offensively challenged, minus a few obvious exceptions.

Edited by PASabreFan

This is a smart idea.  Bylsma is not using Moulson correctly at all, and this is a good way to start changing that.

This is a smart idea.  Bylsma is not using Moulson correctly at all, and this is a good way to start changing that.

IF they do that, and there's no reason to expect it to happen, I'd like to see Kane back on line 1, and McGinn & Gionta w/ Larsson on a true 3rd line. Leave the 4th line alone (that I do expect to happen).

IF Moulson does get his head on straight, suddenly Ennis is odd man out / expendable if he gets healthy. Wouldn't have seen that happening prior to the start of the season. Moulson brings little to the 3rd / 4th line (same for Ennis); he needs a shot on the 2nd line while Ennis is out and absolutely has to make something happen IF he gets that chance or he could be a high priced Amerk next year. (I really don't see him bought out this off-season - not when it keeps him on the books 6 more years.)

If he gets healthy, Ennis should be far more valuable in trade than the $5MM man.

People have been championing for this all season, it's a great idea. They tried it once, but as ink notes, it was very brief. I made the argument Moulson was overrated (and Okposo) given that their success comes primarily from the arrival of Tavares. Seems pretty true given Moulson's decline when parred with lesser talent

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.