GDT: Buffalo @ Detroit, 7:30 pm est, 12/14/2015

WildCard

Well, for the record, Kane and Eichel have a combined 9 assists.

Girgensons and Gionta have 10. :ph34r:

I knew Larsson could score with the right linemates. :ph34r:

The idea that Jack Eichel is garbage is killing me. And I'm the contrarian...

The way Jack has re-ignited your hope might be my favourite development on the board this year.

Sam needed to commit to a defensive move there. He let the legend of Datsyuk psyche him out.

I agree. If you check the replay, he was moving to Datsyuk and Bogo waves him off. He stalled and got caught in no man's land.

Risto has been bad tonight. This game is too close to not have our best offensive weapons on the power play unit.

He was just too casual too often. He looked like Franson when Helm blew past him on the breakaway.

Larson couldn't score in a college town if he were the star QB and had just won the big game...Larsson couldn't score in a morgue. Larsson couldn't score in whorrr house if he had all of TPegs money Not even Johan Larsson could miss that one.

:D See, all he needed was the right encouragement

Hollllyyyy ######. What kind of wizardy ###### did Chad Johson just pull???

Chad was very good tonight and better this season than I thought he could be.

I for one loved Risto's bomb. Love the risk-reward analysis he made there. Icing? So what, really? He had more than a 50 percent chance of ending the game right thurr. Loved the reaction too. Never change (but he will).

Me too. I was expecting to find a GoDD dress-down on this thread, but I guess he's not really about obvious targets.

One more thing, that penalty shot, what a joke!!  I watched the replay several times and couldn't see how Jurco was taken down, other than he felt a stick blade touch him and he fell like a stack of wet dishes.  There ought to be replay challenges on those things too.

A one-handed slash that did nothing to disrupt the rush. Weak, but at least the shot matched the call.

I saw Mike Weber below the circle twice tonight in the offensive zone, and he had an assist on Larsson' goal.

Good on ya Larsson, the puck seemed to be finding him all game with Zemgus bulling through

The team structure is starting to come through more with fewer lapses each game, tighter coverage in their own zone

I think Kane belongs with O'Reilly and Reinhart but McGinn has alot of chemistry with them as well and has played well beside them. Just seems like Kane is more comfortable with them than Kane right now?

A few weeks ago the Sabres were a couple points behind Detroit before Detroit went on an 8-0-5 run and now Detroit is a few points from 1st place Montreal. String a few together here and who knows what this season holds

A one-handed slash that did nothing to disrupt the rush. Weak, but at least the shot matched the call.

I think getting slashed would be disruptive. I'd argue for a lower threshold for calling penalty shots. More penalty shots would be great for the game. What's needed more than anything is a standard and consistency.

My game notes:

- CJ didn't quite steal that game, but the Sabres got game-winning, difference-making goaltending from him.

- I thought the first period was a bit slow and close to the vest but the 2nd and 3rd were pretty exciting. Detroit had more good chances but the Sabres had a number as well. And CJ saved their bacon a couple of times.

- that might've been Kane's best game as a Sabre. He was flying and aggressive.

- I thought Larsson played well against LA and last night. Quite a bit of sandpaper on both ends. DDB also had him on the ice at the very end last night, and praised him in the post-game pressed. I haven't gotten a chance yet to review the shot of his lukewarm attitude noted by dudacek following the GWG in LA, but I'm hopeful now that it was an unkind camera angle or exhaustion or something else -- because he has something to give.

- Zemgus has been skating well and playing aggressively recently but his hands seem to have turned into clubs. I'm not seeing any finish or playmaking.

- good hustle and passion from Foligno and Deslauriers.

- another fantastic game from ROR.

- we have been privileged to have been hockey fans during Datsyuk's career. If he isn't the best Russian player of all time he's freaking close.

- we have been privileged to have been hockey fans during Datsyuk's career. If he isn't the best Russian player of all time he's freaking close.

Lots of good stuff in there. I thought this deserved a nod -- if he isn't the greatest Russian hockey player ever, then he's at least been my favourite such player to watch. Well, maybe outside of those glorious days when #89 was terrorizing opponents for the Sabres.

ROR is tied for 19th in league points and is only 2 points out of a tie for 10th.

Ristolainen still sits at 5th for defenders and ranks in a tie for 48th in points for the league. Other players with the same number of points as Rasmus, Tavares, Larkin, Stamkos, Sharp. 

ROR is tied for 19th in league points and is only 2 points out of a tie for 10th.

Ristolainen still sits at 5th for defenders and ranks in a tie for 48th in points for the league. Other players with the same number of points as Rasmus, Tavares, Larkin, Stamkos, Sharp. 

Wow, that puts into perspective how good he's been.  He didn't seem to be quite as dominant last night as normal but he was fine.  The color guy was sure pumping his tires.  He will start getting league recognition soon if he keeps his play up.

90% of the game is half mental.

No, you're right Rob Ray. :) (I do think you're right, BTW, Wing and Center are similar but not the same thing. It seems like most Centers can play some wing, and some Wings can play Center, but there are bound to be players that just don't do well switching.

The Sabres Johnson stood tall in net tonight.  His inconsistencies are very random.  For example, if this were a Thursday night, would that last good chance for the Wings have gone in?

Johnson has been excellent. I thought Neuvirth and Lindback were very good also last year.

[ I said it before and I'll say it again, I still think GM Murray made a mistake trading a 1st rounder for Lehner.]

This just occurred to me:  The Sabres aren't very good in 5v5 play (just look at the +/- numbers), but last night, we beat the Wings based on 5v5 play.  I hope that's significant and not just a fluke.

fluke

DET should've tied it, won it actually....  both Buffalo goals were of the lucky variety

fluke

DET should've tied it, won it actually....  both Buffalo goals were of the lucky variety

What?  I beg to differ.  The first was a garden-variety deflection; lots of goals are scored that way.  And while a player might not be able to control exactly where a deflection goes, the intent to get it off the line the goalie is blocking is there.  And the second goal came from a point shot into a high traffic area.  A bit more luck involved perhaps in terms of the puck coming to Larsson, but his shot was solid; I wouldn't call that lucky either.  By your standard, every goal is lucky.

fluke

Detroit should have won it, but not because our goals were lucky. They failed to cash in. I remember an awful lot of Sabres games at the beginning of the year just like that

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.