Laptop advice

Hoss

Alright ladies and gents... Anybody got some advice on cheap (under $500) laptops? I'm probably going to land one on Black Friday or Cyber Monday as my current one is on its last legs.

There's some good deals on HPs for $250-300 at Walmart, but I'm also strongly considering getting a Surface Pro 3 which I've heard nothing but great things about. Anybody have Surface Pro 3? Most reviews I read say it can replace your laptop with ease and it'll be under $500 for the next few days.

All I do with my laptop is the basic stuff. I used to Photoshop a lot, but I lost it about a year ago and haven't been able to get it back (I'll refrain from saying where I'm looking for Photoshop for SDS' sake). Can the Surface Pro 3 handle streaming like a regular laptop can? Can it handle downloading music, watching YouTube videos and possibly photoshop (just photos) with ease?

Just remember the keyboard is sold separately and its not cheap.  Pissed me off.  Every commercial shows the keyboard.  I bought two for my kids for Christmas last year and ended up on Amazon on Christmas day buying two keyboards.  Kids love them.

The surface pro 3 should be able to handle everything you use it for pretty easily.

For basic stuff, no game playing....the most processor you will need is an i3...and not even a current gen. I wouldn't bother to pay anything more for an i5 or i7.  You might even be able to get away with a cheaper Pentium (but don't go celeron). My computer has an i5, but the wifes new one is a Pentium, and with the SSD is is super fast for what she does (email, web browsing, word processing, excel docs, etc.)

The only thing you really should get is a SSD drive.  As long as you aren't playing games or doing serious editing on it...the SSD is the one single thing that will speed up your computer the most.

As far as a screen goes...1080 resolution is the sweet spot. You can get away with a lower res screen, but the 1080 will look good.  Anything over 1080 would be overkill for what you are working on.

One other thing to think about is if the screen is glossy or matte.  Most are glossy, but I looked for a matte screen for my last laptop and finally found one.  If you are going to be using it where there might be some reflections, you may want to find a matte screen.

Edited by mjd1001

Just remember the keyboard is sold separately and its not cheap.  Pissed me off.  Every commercial shows the keyboard.  I bought two for my kids for Christmas last year and ended up on Amazon on Christmas day buying two keyboards.  Kids love them.

Comes together here for $480

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-3-+-Type-Cover/productID.328113700?icid=FY16_Holiday_BF_Pre_ModF_S3typecover

Edit: nevermind, that's the Surface 3, not the Surface Pro 3. There goes that idea.

Edited by Hoss

The surface pro 3 should be able to handle everything you use it for pretty easily.

For basic stuff, no game playing....the most processor you will need is an i3...and not even a current gen. I wouldn't bother to pay anything more for an i5 or i7.  You might even be able to get away with a cheaper Pentium (but don't go celeron). My computer has an i5, but the wifes new one is a Pentium, and with the SSD is is super fast for what she does (email, web browsing, word processing, excel docs, etc.)

The only thing you really should get is a SSD drive.  As long as you aren't playing games or doing serious editing on it...the SSD is the one single thing that will speed up your computer the most.

As far as a screen goes...1080 resolution is the sweet spot. You can get away with a lower res screen, but the 1080 will look good.  Anything over 1080 would be overkill for what you are working on.

One other thing to think about is if the screen is glossy or matte.  Most are glossy, but I looked for a matte screen for my last laptop and finally found one.  If you are going to be using it where there might be some reflections, you may want to find a matte screen.

I couldn't imagine ever buying a computer today without an SSD. It's the single best general-purpose upgrade anyone can make.

I also agree on the 1080p matte screen, but finding one definitely pushes the price up several hundred dollars.

Surface Pro 3 is 1080. I don't know if they have a matte screen option, but considering I'm trying to be wallet conscious I might have to pass on that. I do love the idea, though. I'm a little hesitant with only one USB port as I like to use a mouse for my laptop when I can which would take that up.

Surface Pro 3 is 1080. I don't know if they have a matte screen option, but considering I'm trying to be wallet conscious I might have to pass on that. I do love the idea, though. I'm a little hesitant with only one USB port as I like to use a mouse for my laptop when I can which would take that up.

I'd be surprised if they did. Frankly, I'm not aware of any touch device with a matte screen.

Lenovo is formerly IBM. Have a great tablet from them and wouldn't hesitate to buy a medium to high end product from them. Lower end stuff just looking at reviews lately is a little scary.

I have a friend asking about a laptop for black Friday...I have told him his guidelines are i5, 8gb and 1tb drive. His budget to me was $350 and I said that cant be done. In the recent days I think those specs were found for $399 and one of them was with a small SSD. Oh the times they are a changing!!

Alright ladies and gents... Anybody got some advice on cheap (under $500) laptops? I'm probably going to land one on Black Friday or Cyber Monday as my current one is on its last legs.

There's some good deals on HPs for $250-300 at Walmart, but I'm also strongly considering getting a Surface Pro 3 which I've heard nothing but great things about. Anybody have Surface Pro 3? Most reviews I read say it can replace your laptop with ease and it'll be under $500 for the next few days.

All I do with my laptop is the basic stuff. I used to Photoshop a lot, but I lost it about a year ago and haven't been able to get it back (I'll refrain from saying where I'm looking for Photoshop for SDS' sake). Can the Surface Pro 3 handle streaming like a regular laptop can? Can it handle downloading music, watching YouTube videos and possibly photoshop (just photos) with ease?

Check out microcenter.com...  They have reviews and specs.   Depending on where your live there may be a store near you as well.  Just picked up an ASUS for $800, but they had a Toshiba or a Dell with 16 gig of RAM, but a Intel 5 chip with Windows 10 upgrade that was $500.  If you are going to run Photoshop, I highly recommend 16 gig of RAM, but at least 8.  Check this Toshiba out for $649.. http://www.microcenter.com/product/444735/Satellite_S55T-B5233_156_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Brushed_Aluminum_Finish_in_Satin_Gold

My laptop is shot also. I'm doing a full factory image reset now. Hopefully this will bring it back to being useable until I buy my new all in one in February.

I got 4 good years out of it and 2 useless years.

Hoss, how long do you plan on having your new laptop? I know your budget is tight, but you do get what you pay for with computers. Oh, and for what it's worth, my wife's HP lasted about a year longer than my Dell.

Update: Factory Image reset appears to have worked like a charm. First post from my laptop in over a year. Computer is running like new.

Edited by ubkev

No, not enough RAM, they both only have 4 Gig, like I stated you need at least 8 if not 16...  RAM or what is known as memory.

This one  would work: 

http://www.microcenter.com/product/454394/15-f118ca_156_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Black\

Also on New Egg  check out the refurbished 8 Gig of Ram deals, most are nice!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006740 600003943 600003986 600003988 600003982 600003973 600004804 &IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30

Thanks for the advice everybody. Anybody have experience with Lenovo's?

Lenovos are loaded with Chinese government spyware.

As for advice, go for the best processor, most RAM, and fastest hard drives you can afford. If you don't need a lot of storage, try and get a laptop with an SSD (solid state drive.) They are the fastest.  See if there is a Microsoft store near you. They are usually in malls and look exactly like Apple stores. They care a wide range of brands and decent prices. Best of all, anything you buy there is bloatware-free. Also you can bring any Microsoft OS computer (within a certain age) to them and they will work on it for free. That includes virus removal. This applies whether you bought the computer there or not. It's a great service.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

As for advice, go for the best processor, most RAM, and fastest hard drives you can afford. If you don't need a lot of storage, try and get a laptop with an SSD (solid state drive.) They are the fastest.  See if there is a Microsoft store near you. They are usually in malls and look exactly like Apple stores. They care a wide range of brands and decent prices. Best of all, anything you buy there is bloatware-free. Also you can bring any Microsoft OS computer (within a certain age) to them and they will work on it for free. That includes virus removal. This applies whether you bought the computer there or not. It's a great service.

the newest Intel processors are "Skylake" and "Devil's Canyon". i3 or i5 should be plenty. Minimum RAM should be at least 8GB, preferably 16. HP and Dell are known to come chock full of bloatware.

Here is a good article explaining the differences between HDD and SSD:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404258,00.asp

I have found ASUS to be a great bang for the buck, and great site for prices is newegg.com.

the newest Intel processors are "Skylake" and "Devil's Canyon". i3 or i5 should be plenty. Minimum RAM should be at least 8GB, preferably 16. HP and Dell are known to come chock full of bloatware.

Here is a good article explaining the differences between HDD and SSD:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404258,00.asp

I have found ASUS to be a great bang for the buck, and great site for prices is newegg.com.

Thanks for the advice gents. I feel relatively confident in selecting a new laptop for the misses, but it always helps to have a few comments to make sure I'm on the right track.

Does anyone have any experience with the refurbished models from Newegg? The one below has pretty good specs for the price point, including a small SSD (although the CPU is an older Ivy-Bridge 3000 series). She only uses the laptop for internet, facebook games and photo storage (we have an external 1TB hard drive). I figure this should be more than enough for her needs for only $470.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834264186&ignorebbr=1

I'll agree with the SSD comment. My work laptop and the laptop I just bought for my wife are in the same neighborhood in terms of RAM and CPU, but my work machine feels a bunch faster with SSD even though it has software-based encryption software installed. I want to upgrade the wife's machine to SSD but she won't green-light the money yet. :) That being said, CPU and screen (and sometimes RAM) aren't really upgradable, but I can put an SSD in for $80 right now. When I bought this machine, I decided to maximize the pieces I can't change and accept that I may need to upgrade later.

(Dell Inspiron 13, 2-in-1 with 1080p screen, 8GB RAM, and a Core i5. Bit out of your budget when I bought it at nearly $700, but that was earlier this year).

• 3 months later...

So I'm in the market for a new laptop, preferably as cheap as I can go with something that has a long battery life, and can handle software IDE's and manipulation such as Eclipse, Netbeans, etc. Also looking for something that can handle a linux and Windows OS, though really I think any laptop can do that. 

I hate touch screens, and the 2-1 thing where the keyboard can come off.

How about this? http://www.abt.com/product/98090/Toshiba-Satellite-L50-Satin-Gold-Laptop-Computer-L55C5340.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sc&utm_campaign=L55C5340&camptype=cpcUSGooglePLA&kwid=productads-adid^77416723924-device^c-plaid^169455246724-sku^98090-adType^PLA

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.