Laptop advice

Hoss

I'm currently using 3GB without that much open. Word, Excel, a pdf, 6 tabs in Chrome.

Chrome will eat whatever memory it can allocate. But in Wildcard's case, he's a developer (IIRC). At some point, I'm betting he'll need to run VMs to test code on or whatnot, that's why I'd recommend 8GB for him. Not required, but it's nice to have a couple VMs up when you need them. I find it a lot easier than installing "server" software directly on the base OS.

That's not always the case these days. Some of the ultrabook systems have hard-soldered memory and don't take DIMMs, or only have one memory slot so you can't do 4+4GB, you'd have to buy an 8GB DIMM and replace the existing 4GB.. If you get narrowed down to a couple models, dig around on the vendor's support site and see if you can find a service manual for it. You don't really need to read it per se, but looking through the topics will hopefully give you an idea what can be upgraded and what cannot. The Dell manual for my laptop is mostly pictures anyway so it's pretty easy to follow.

Chrome loves RAM, it will destroy it. That's why it runs so fast

Chrome will eat whatever memory it can allocate. But in Wildcard's case, he's a developer (IIRC). At some point, I'm betting he'll need to run VMs to test code on or whatnot, that's why I'd recommend 8GB for him. Not required, but it's nice to have a couple VMs up when you need them. I find it a lot easier than installing "server" software directly on the base OS.

Yeap, definitely going to be needing some VM's.

That's not always the case these days. Some of the ultrabook systems have hard-soldered memory and don't take DIMMs, or only have one memory slot so you can't do 4+4GB, you'd have to buy an 8GB DIMM and replace the existing 4GB.. If you get narrowed down to a couple models, dig around on the vendor's support site and see if you can find a service manual for it. You don't really need to read it per se, but looking through the topics will hopefully give you an idea what can be upgraded and what cannot. The Dell manual for my laptop is mostly pictures anyway so it's pretty easy to follow.

Ah I see, thanks. I found this website, which apparently tells me if a laptop is capable of handling certain upgrades.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/pavilion-15-%28intel-5th-gen%29

Not sure how reliable it is though

Chrome loves RAM, it will destroy it. That's why it runs so fast

Yeap, definitely going to be needing some VM's.

Ah I see, thanks. I found this website, which apparently tells me if a laptop is capable of handling certain upgrades.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/pavilion-15-%28intel-5th-gen%29

Not sure how reliable it is though

Crucial.com has been around forever, and was/is my go-to for looking for memory upgrades. I will say that once in awhile it'll have a limit fo XGB for a device but if you do put more memory in it'll work. Granted, that was a long time ago so I'd hunt around the Google for other reports on your model before you go buy a 16GB DIMM for a machine that says it only accepts 8GB. :)

Crucial.com has been around forever, and was/is my go-to for looking for memory upgrades. I will say that once in awhile it'll have a limit fo XGB for a device but if you do put more memory in it'll work. Granted, that was a long time ago so I'd hunt around the Google for other reports on your model before you go buy a 16GB DIMM for a machine that says it only accepts 8GB. :)

So before I begin this hunt one more time, if you don't mind, can I run a quick check list by you?

CPU: i3 is good, i5 is better. Probably going to need i5 for what I do

RAM: Look for 4GB, then upgrade it with DIMM, which is more memory.

SSD: Upgrades from HDD to Solid State Drive, thereby faster due to it being flash memory. Not associated with RAM, but very nice to have.

So, is that all correct?

So before I begin this hunt one more time, if you don't mind, can I run a quick check list by you?

CPU: i3 is good, i5 is better. Probably going to need i5 for what I do

RAM: Look for 4GB, then upgrade it with DIMM, which is more memory.

SSD: Upgrades from HDD to Solid State Drive, thereby faster due to it being flash memory. Not associated with RAM, but very nice to have.

So, is that all correct?

Yep, that's all correct. For reference, my work computer (HP 9470p ) is very nice but pricey. I can run a couple VMs (RHEL7, Mint, Windows 7, though I generally don't run all three at once) on it with GUI without getting into too much trouble. It has 8GB, Intel i5-3437U, and an SSD. In terms of disk performance, even with the software-based disk encryption on my work system (which slows down everything), disk is still faster than the non-encrypted hard disk on my home laptop. Very nice to have indeed. This model is a few years old so I think a new system with similar performance (and not the fancy "business" model) would come in a lot cheaper than the $1000+ it was new.

Once you get it narrowed down, I'd check on whether the boot loader is unlocked and how well the network card works in Linux (since you mentioned running it). Luckily, Linux drivers for the network will only come into play if you run Linux on the laptop natively; if you run Windows on the hardware and Linux in VMs the Linux only needs to know about the VM "hardware" so there's no driver issues.

Both my work HP and home Dell can boot Linux fine; I've even played around with an Android boot for the home machine. Android-x86 isn't very polished, but it was kind of fun to have a 13" Android tablet for a day.

Edited by MattPie

There's nothing wrong with Windows 10 as long as you don't mind the privacy invasion. Windows 8 can be made to look and feel just like Windows 7 in about 30 seconds, won't even have to look at those ugly metro tiles. There are some updates in Windows 8 that need to be hidden to prevent Microsoft from downloading and installing Windows 10. 

I haven't used Chrome OS long enough to give an accurate comparison. I'm using Windows 8 with 'start is back' app and that makes it run just like Windows 7. 

Somewhere around here is a list of updates to hide. 

Alright, I found this, HP Pavillion Flagship 15 for $385 from Amazaon. 

Specs: 

CPU => i5

RAM => 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM (I don't know what this means)

HD => 1 TB HDD

Upgrades: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/pavilion-15-%28intel-5th-gen%29

According to that website, I can install 4GB of RAM with an SODIMM (???) for $22, and an internal SSD for $70. So really all said and done the total cost is about $500. No Bueno 

There's nothing wrong with Windows 10 as long as you don't mind the privacy invasion. Windows 8 can be made to look and feel just like Windows 7 in about 30 seconds, won't even have to look at those ugly metro tiles. There are some updates in Windows 8 that need to be hidden to prevent Microsoft from downloading and installing Windows 10. 

I haven't used Chrome OS long enough to give an accurate comparison. I'm using Windows 8 with 'start is back' app and that makes it run just like Windows 7. 

Somewhere around here is a list of updates to hide. 

How bad are the privacy invasions?

Three of the updates that need to be hidden, and of course the Windows 10 update that doesn't have a 'KB' ID. 

KB2976978

KB3044374

KB3123862

How bad are the privacy invasions?

http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-actually-1722267229

I don't like that Windows 10 automatically downloads updates without my knowing. 

I don't mind 10, it's a lot less frustrating than 8. JJ is right, however, that with some work you can make 8 less annoying. As for the updates, Windows 7 and 8 are making it hard to not accidentally update to Windows 10. I'm really disappointed that Microsoft is taking that tack, but whatever. You'll spend some time trying to keep Windows 8 from downloading and installing 10 from time to time when Microsoft changes their insidious tactics. I'm not sure if that's more or less work than disabling the privacy stuff from 10. Just run Linux, it's easier. :)

EDIT: ChromeOS: I don't think it's going to do what you need. You can do some work and get regular Linux running within ChromeOS (or install Linux over the top of ChromeOS), but ChromeOS is more like a tablet than a computer. No VMs, no compiler (I think), etc.

Edited by MattPie

Hey, Mattpie, you said you have a Dell Inspirion with Windows 10, no? How do you like that? I found two models, one at Best Buy for $474, 1 TB HDD, and 6GB RAM, and the other at Staples for $499, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, both with 6th gen i5's. For the 128 GB, sounds like I'll need an external

Here's the problem. I'm wondering why the Staples version is only$20 dollars more (aka, where's the catch?) and there is a review on there that says the display driver constantly crashes, due to Windows 10. I'm wondering, do you have any issues with that?

For the 128 GB, sounds like I'll need an external HD, no? True, you have an SSD, do you use an external?

Hey, Mattpie, you said you have a Dell Inspirion with Windows 10, no? How do you like that? I found two models, one at Best Buy for $474, 1 TB HDD, and 6GB RAM, and the other at Staples for $499, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, both with 6th gen i5's. For the 128 GB, sounds like I'll need an external

Here's the problem. I'm wondering why the Staples version is only$20 dollars more (aka, where's the catch?) and there is a review on there that says the display driver constantly crashes, due to Windows 10. I'm wondering, do you have any issues with that?

For the 128 GB, sounds like I'll need an external HD, no? True, you have an SSD, do you use an external?

I'm pretty happy with it, although to be honest it's "my wife's" computer and I don't use it too much. She likes it well enough.

Nvm, I found a Lenovo 17" for $429 with 8 GB RAM and 1 TB, able to upgrade both, and great reviews. Going to grab it tomorrow

Cool. For a developer, there's a lot to be said for getting a big laptop as you're going to be staring at it a lot. :) And, being a young dude it's not the end of the world if you back-pack it around. When I was younger and stupid I carried an old HP 17" work laptop (must have been almost 2" think) to England and back; that thing must have weighed 15 lbs including the gigantic power supply. The doesn't sound like much except I also had my "normal" work laptop in the same pack.

I'm pretty happy with it, although to be honest it's "my wife's" computer and I don't use it too much. She likes it well enough.

Cool. For a developer, there's a lot to be said for getting a big laptop as you're going to be staring at it a lot. :) And, being a young dude it's not the end of the world if you back-pack it around. When I was younger and stupid I carried an old HP 17" work laptop (must have been almost 2" think) to England and back; that thing must have weighed 15 lbs including the gigantic power supply. The doesn't sound like much except I also had my "normal" work laptop in the same pack.

It didn't happen to be a ZD8000, did it?

15lbs is a little large to be hiking around with  :lol: 

Well, the Lenovo was sold out. So I'm looking at an Asus, for about $70 more, same specs. Only difference is, it's max RAM is 8GB, so no upgrade for me. Is 8GB enough?

It didn't happen to be a ZD8000, did it?

Not quite that old, but you're in the right neighborhood; it's not the ZD8000, but it is the ZD8000's Compaq cousin, the nx9600!

"While a lot of laptop manufacturers are producing slimmer and lighter desktop replacements, HP goes the opposite route with the nx9600 Notebook PC's design. The dark-gray system measures a considerable 15.7 inches wide by 11.1 inches deep by 2 inches thick and weighs a hefty 9.4 pounds by itself or 12 pounds with the enormous, three-pronged AC adapter. These dimensions put the nx9600 Notebook PC in hernia-inducing territory, but they also allow for several excellent design features."

It's still in the lab here at work, it's as thick as the external CDROM drive that was on the shelf next to it.

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-compaq-nx9600-notebook-pc/#!

15lbs is a little large to be hiking around with  :lol:

Well, the Lenovo was sold out. So I'm looking at an Asus, for about $70 more, same specs. Only difference is, it's max RAM is 8GB, so no upgrade for me. Is 8GB enough?

It's an interesting time for computers, not as much emphasis is being put on Windows/Mac/Linux with the rise of the tablet so the resource requirements have slowed down too. It's already at the point where 5-7 year old laptops are still competent as long as you accept some limits, so buying a decent laptop now (8GB over the standard 4GB) will probably do well for at least 4-5 years and be fine for backup/light usage for years after that.

It's an interesting time for computers, not as much emphasis is being put on Windows/Mac/Linux with the rise of the tablet so the resource requirements have slowed down too. It's already at the point where 5-7 year old laptops are still competent as long as you accept some limits, so buying a decent laptop now (8GB over the standard 4GB) will probably do well for at least 4-5 years and be fine for backup/light usage for years after that.

My old one lasted nearly a decade. It still works, but it gets its ass kicked even when booting up. Couldn't handle the IDE's I needed to use

Can't say enough to True, JJ, and MattPie for help on this. Thanks a ton, guys

Not quite that old, but you're in the right neighborhood; it's not the ZD8000, but it is the ZD8000's Compaq cousin, the nx9600!

"While a lot of laptop manufacturers are producing slimmer and lighter desktop replacements, HP goes the opposite route with the nx9600 Notebook PC's design. The dark-gray system measures a considerable 15.7 inches wide by 11.1 inches deep by 2 inches thick and weighs a hefty 9.4 pounds by itself or 12 pounds with the enormous, three-pronged AC adapter. These dimensions put the nx9600 Notebook PC in hernia-inducing territory, but they also allow for several excellent design features."

It's still in the lab here at work, it's as thick as the external CDROM drive that was on the shelf next to it.

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-compaq-nx9600-notebook-pc/#!

Man that's a monster! Yeah I've still got my old ZD8000 laying around here somewhere. Still works fine, a little slow for today's needs. But it was one hell of a laptop in the day. Once those fans kicked in, it would wake the neighbors. 

You're right, fortunately for desktop and laptop enthusiasts advancements have slowed to a crawl. Back when you built a high end desktop PC, it would be outdated in a year or two. Now a Sandy Bridge/1155 build can still keep up with the best of them four years later. 

My old one lasted nearly a decade. It still works, but it gets its ass kicked even when booting up. Couldn't handle the IDE's I needed to use

Can't say enough to True, JJ, and MattPie for help on this. Thanks a ton, guys

Have fun with the new Lenovo!

This is pretty cool, I'm just going to leave it here:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DevelopersCanRunBashShellAndUsermodeUbuntuLinuxBinariesOnWindows10.aspx

MS has created an emulation layer to run real Linux binaries on Windows (10, maybe others). This isn't virtualization or recompiling, they've written software that takes the Linux system calls and translates them on the fly to Windows system calls. If anyone is familiar with WINE on Linux, this is the opposite direction.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DevelopersCanRunBashShellAndUsermodeUbuntuLinuxBinariesOnWindows10.aspx

MS has created an emulation layer to run real Linux binaries on Windows (10, maybe others). This isn't virtualization or recompiling, they've written software that takes the Linux system calls and translates them on the fly to Windows system calls. If anyone is familiar with WINE on Linux, this is the opposite direction.

Well, that's awesome. I know pretty basic Linux syscalls and workings, so I'll be using this

I just feel so out of the loop.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.