Laptop advice

Hoss

So I'm in the market for a new laptop, preferably as cheap as I can go with something that has a long battery life, and can handle software IDE's and manipulation such as Eclipse, Netbeans, etc. Also looking for something that can handle a linux and Windows OS, though really I think any laptop can do that. 

I hate touch screens, and the 2-1 thing where the keyboard can come off.

How about this? http://www.abt.com/product/98090/Toshiba-Satellite-L50-Satin-Gold-Laptop-Computer-L55C5340.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sc&utm_campaign=L55C5340&camptype=cpcUSGooglePLA&kwid=productads-adid^77416723924-device^c-plaid^169455246724-sku^98090-adType^PLA

On Linux and Windows: some laptops newer make it pretty difficult to install Linux (in the traditional way) as they lock the boot sequence (for your safety, of course). I'm not saying it's impossible, but you might need to look at other boot methods. I briefly had an AMD-based Dell laptop that I gave up on trying to get it to boot off anything other than the internal Windows disk. Crazy, I tell you. I ended up with another Dell, an Inspiron 13.3" 2-in-1 which is pretty nice. 1920.x1080 screen, 8GB RAM. 500GB HD which holds it back a bit, but at least I can drop an SSD in at some point and solve that. I got it on sale last year for $650, regularly $750 (surprisingly, Bestbuy beat Dell.com).

My rule of thumb for that purchase was screen is important, memory is important (unless you can upgrade it later, which is hit and miss with current laptops), and then processor (avoid Celeron or other lower end CPUs for what you're doiing). Those are the things you can't always upgrade later. Disk you can upgrade most of the time (but check to make sure) or use external drives. If you're going to use a monitor a lot, you could cut back on the screen to save some case.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Is 8GB of RAM really necessary? The price difference is about $200 

Never, ever, buy RAM upgrades from a laptop manufacturer. Just make sure you choose a laptop that you can replace the existing DIMM or that has an empty slot for an upgrade. A single 8GB DIMM will run you around $30, and ~$17 for a 4GB upgrade.

Never, ever, buy RAM upgrades from a laptop manufacturer. Just make sure you choose a laptop that you can replace the existing DIMM or that has an empty slot for an upgrade. A single 8GB DIMM will run you around $30, and ~$17 for a 4GB upgrade.

DIMM? How do I go about replacing that?

I doubt an extra 4GB is $200 more. There has to be more to it. It's important to match RAM so if they offer 8GB, I'd take it. No need for 16GB. Some are about matching the same brand RAM as well, and on some laptops the first pair is hidden inside so you can't see exactly what it is. And system identification doesn't always give full details.

You didn't say what your max price was. Reason I asked about graphics is some laptops have the Intel graphics, but be leery about that. Find one with a dedicated card. I found a couple last night with a dedicated card, 8GB and 1080 resolution for under $750.

Is a-n-a-l really a bad word?

Bought an ASUS this January with 16 G Ram and a 1TB HD with intel 7 chip forget the HZ but really fast and can handle multi apps open easy at microcenter $850 GEForce vid card. Plays Sabre games nicely.

Check out microcenter.com and its deals.

Edited by North Buffalo

So I can buy. 4GB RAM, a 4GB DIMM, and just insert it for 8GB RAM? Is this different than the SSHD?

Assuming there's an empty DIMM slot, yup, it's that simple. And yea, title different than an SSD.

BTW, congrats, this discussion has convinced me you're less of a nerd than I thought you were :p

Assuming there's an empty DIMM slot, yup, it's that simple. And yea, title different than an SSD.

BTW, congrats, this discussion has convinced me you're less of a nerd than I thought you were :P

Let's just say I didn't do so well in my hardware architecture class :lol:

So do you have an addition DIMM and an SSD?

Honestly man, can you just tell me what you have, so I can research that?  :lol:

Edited by WildCard

It's just odd hearing, I guess. RAM always seemed like a concept natural to all computers, not a product. Though, the same thing can be said with a CPU, and those definitely have different brands

When matching up RAM, if you get the size and speed the same, 99% chance you'll be fine regardless of mixing brands. There are other differences like timing and voltage that vary from RAM to RAM, so when some people upgrade RAM on a laptop they try to match the part number to a brand, that way the timing and voltage are equal. 

A lot of laptop manufacturers use this brand. 

https://www.skhynix.com/eng/index.jsp

Anything running Window 7 will do just fine.

Everything seems to run Windows 10. I might just run linux instead, as my laptops with Vista are already being kicked off of Chrome, and they'll only continue to not support earlier versions of OS's

If I get a laptop that already has an SSD instead of an HDD, with 4GB, then I can still install a DIMM to upgrade it to 8GM RAM?

That's not always the case these days. Some of the ultrabook systems have hard-soldered memory and don't take DIMMs, or only have one memory slot so you can't do 4+4GB, you'd have to buy an 8GB DIMM and replace the existing 4GB.. If you get narrowed down to a couple models, dig around on the vendor's support site and see if you can find a service manual for it. You don't really need to read it per se, but looking through the topics will hopefully give you an idea what can be upgraded and what cannot. The Dell manual for my laptop is mostly pictures anyway so it's pretty easy to follow.

I'm currently using 3GB without that much open. Word, Excel, a pdf, 6 tabs in Chrome.

:unsure:

I'm running a personal tax software, corporate tax software, Simply Accounting, Word and Excel, and 2 tabs in chrome + my email ... I am no where near 3GB usage.

I have 4GM on my Toshiba and never even come close to it.

:unsure:

I'm running a personal tax software, corporate tax software, Simply Accounting, Word and Excel, and 2 tabs in chrome + my email ... I am no where near 3GB usage.

I have 4GM on my Toshiba and never even come close to it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Only other big item I have running is Malwarebytes for like 250mb of usage. I guess I'm being nickel and dimed to death with small system stuff.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.