NHL Scoring Problem

Hoss

Sooo, that doesn't really tell us anything, then, and something is bad,... unless it's good.

#fancystatsrock

It's not really a commentary on the scoring problem, but more just a look at the goalie mindset of what makes the game easier for them.

I guess if we want to increase scoring, we ought to make things less comfortable for goalies. I don't know where I'm going with that.

It's not really a commentary on the scoring problem, but more just a look at the goalie mindset of what makes the game easier for them.

I guess if we want to increase scoring, we ought to make things less comfortable for goalies. I don't know where I'm going with that.

Interesting. So you are saying that higher corsi numbers keep goalies sharper leading to more saves and lower scoring games?!

Mind. Blown.

Sounds pretty normal to me.

I would say that it is normal for a team's average per game. To me these games where tight defensive affairs that where 1-0 till late in the third and a team had to press in order to try and get a tying goal to send it to overtime. The press led to a few 2 on 1's the other way, an empty net goal and you get a 3.6 goals per game for a team. Not fun hockey. 

Also the average goals per game I think should be around 5 for both teams to be fun hockey. 

I would say that it is normal for a team's average per game. To me these games where tight defensive affairs that where 1-0 till late in the third and a team had to press in order to try and get a tying goal to send it to overtime. The press led to a few 2 on 1's the other way, an empty net goal and you get a 3.6 goals per game for a team. Not fun hockey.

Also the average goals per game I think should be around 5 for both teams to be fun hockey.

Yes and yes. I used to love me a shutout but they're so common now that the value is lost (just like the too many goals argument).

I'd much rather watch more 5-4 games than 2-1 games. I can't be the only one. Unfortunately even teams with a ton of forward talent like Dallas are winning more of the 2-1 variety than the 5-4. :angry:  

When I looked through the schedule just before the start of the season I would've put a $100.00 bet on the over of a Sabres / Stars game of 5 Goals. Just thought it would have been a fun and fast  game of offensive stars ruining goalies save percentages. Saturdays game was the white bread of the bakery world.

I'd much rather watch more 5-4 games than 2-1 games. I can't be the only one. Unfortunately even teams with a ton of forward talent like Dallas are winning more of the 2-1 variety than the 5-4. :angry:

You're not the only one. I hate defense.

When I looked through the schedule just before the start of the season I would've put a $100.00 bet on the over of a Sabres / Stars game of 5 Goals. Just thought it would have been a fun and fast  game of offensive stars ruining goalies save percentages. Saturdays game was the white bread of the bakery world.

#lindyruffhockey

#lindyruffhockey

Lindy to the best as I could see throughout the game wasn't playing a 1-2-2 defensive game. Send 1 forechecker in to the O zone, use the other 2 forwards at the red line to make are the first pass out of the zone is along the boards and bottling up the neutral zone. That is what the Sabres where doing. Something a coach would do to try and even out the skill differential and keep the game low scoring and hope for a lucky bounce. #TedsNolanHockey

26 regulation goals scored last night by a total of 14 teams...under 2 per team for the night.

According to the latest stats, we are down to 2.65 goals per game for the year so far. That is the lowest in almost 15 years.

It is also the greatest drop from one season to the next since 06-07 to 07-08 (not only is scoring bad, but it is getting worse at an increasing rate).

The thing is....shots per game haven't changed all that much over the years....very close to 30 per game per team...it is goalies save percentages that are much higher.  Is that a function of the goalies being too good or too much equipment (bigger nets needed)? or is it more a function of the quality of shots being a lot worse (coaching and D-zone play?)

26 regulation goals scored last night by a total of 14 teams...under 2 per team for the night.

According to the latest stats, we are down to 2.65 goals per game for the year so far. That is the lowest in almost 15 years.

It is also the greatest drop from one season to the next since 06-07 to 07-08 (not only is scoring bad, but it is getting worse at an increasing rate).

The thing is....shots per game haven't changed all that much over the years....very close to 30 per game per team...it is goalies save percentages that are much higher.  Is that a function of the goalies being too good or too much equipment (bigger nets needed)? or is it more a function of the quality of shots being a lot worse (coaching and D-zone play?)

Yes to all of it.

Rise of analytics, decline in scoring. Coincidence?

Absolutely the result of analytics, in a way.

Coaches use analytics as a tool to help teach players.

GM's determine player value on analytics. 

The league has put a greater value on two way players and has a way to value a player other shots/assists/goals. 

The net result is a league of skilled 2 way players that are in shot lanes and blocking pucks with over-sized goalies. How on earth could shots per game and goals remain constant?

Edited by Woods-Racer

Rise of analytics, decline in scoring. Coincidence?

I suspect the decline in scoring (see Dead Puck Era) predates the rise of analytics.  I might even posit that analytics is a result of the decline in scoring.  With games so tight everyone is looking for the slightest edge.

Maybe with coaching getting more and more involved (more coaches per team than a couple decades ago, great use of analytics helps coaching).....well, scoring is down because of 'better' or 'more complete' coaching.

I have heard something a few times on the radio (once or twice on WGR and a few times on 590 out of Toronto)....you can't teach offensive talent, but you CAN teach/coach defense.

Edited by mjd1001

You're not the only one. I hate defense.

Include me in on that........ It's been painful to watch many of these games this year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.