NHL Scoring Problem

Hoss

Chris Johnston tweet: Colin Campbell says the NHL might have to consider larger nets eventually. Says he has four different kinds in his barn.

Friedman follow up: Really get the sense GMs only want bigger nets as a last resort.

Elliotte Friedman other tweets:

Compensation: there will be a discussion at BoG about scrapping it or modifying it.

There was a conversation about goalies being forced to wear tighter jerseys. Equipment would have to fit underneath

Edited by Hoss

I am ducking as I am typing this, but I would rather leave the size of the net alone and reduce the size of the equipment.  One way to assure the GT is still protected is to outlaw the new polymer sticks.  They have equipped everyone with a more dangerous shot.  Go back to white ash.  The great shooters will still be great shooters and and the rest will learn to pass.  When Wilt and Kareem came along they didn't raise the basket.

Oh and Get off My Lawn!

Edited by 3putt

I am ducking as I am typing this, but I would rather leave the size of the net alone and reduce the size of the equipment. One way to assure the GT is still protected is to outlaw the new polymer sticks. They have equipped everyone with a more dangerous shot. Go back to white ash. The great shooters will still be great shooters and and the rest will learn to pass. When Wilt and Kareem came along they didn't raise the basket.

Oh and Get off My Lawn!

I agree with the tweaking equipment way before messing with the nets. As far as the sticks go - no way. We don't need to take away one of the few offensive advantages at this point. Equipment should be rounds off and jerseys made to fit snug without restricting.

I agree with the tweaking equipment way before messing with the nets. As far as the sticks go - no way. We don't need to take away one of the few offensive advantages at this point. Equipment should be rounds off and jerseys made to fit snug without restricting.

Quid pro quo.  NHLPA will raise safety with regard to GT equipment size.  Remove the sticks and you undercut that argument to a large extent. The ting about the new sticks is that you dont have to be that good to create a hard heavy shot.  Some beer leaguers who couldn't lift a shot with a wood stick can put it where momma hides the cookies with the new one piecers

The problem with just going after the equipment is it doesn't address that goaltenders themselves are just larger human beings than they used to be. No matter what is done with the equipment, there's going to be less net to shoot at. The nets are the way to go.

I do agree that the nets were made for smaller goalies and could've/should've been adjusted because of it.

NHLPA has previously agreed to allow changes to goalie equipment. They made it more moderate than the original proposal was, but I don't think they're going to cry foul much.

Colin Campbell also said they will likely change the size of the nets if the recent tweaks in goalie equipment doesn't help.

I am ducking as I am typing this, but I would rather leave the size of the net alone and reduce the size of the equipment. One way to assure the GT is still protected is to outlaw the new polymer sticks. They have equipped everyone with a more dangerous shot. Go back to white ash. The great shooters will still be great shooters and and the rest will learn to pass. When Wilt and Kareem came along they didn't raise the basket.

Oh and Get off My Lawn!

This is false. Shots are no harder with composites than they ever were with wood. In fact wood sticks are capable of stiffer flex numbers than most composites. Most players don't use sticks that are any more powerful than a plain old wood stick.

The only benefit of composites is weight and that they "flex out" slower than wood. The lightness of the stick allows for faster puck handling. That's about it. It's worth a lot to skilled players, but it doesn't make it and less safe to goalies.

Caught these just now nestled among the many Tweets re daily fantasy sports (NYS AG says they're illegal forms of gambling and must be shut down in NYS)

Definitely sounds like all sides support shrinking goalie equipment in time for next season.

Mo

Realistically, NHL goalies shoulder pads and pants could be streamlined in time for next season. Rough prototypes could be ready in Jan.

More
Edited by That Aud Smell

This is false. Shots are no harder with composites than they ever were with wood. In fact wood sticks are capable of stiffer flex numbers than most composites. Most players don't use sticks that are any more powerful than a plain old wood stick.

The only benefit of composites is weight and that they "flex out" slower than wood. The lightness of the stick allows for faster puck handling. That's about it. It's worth a lot to skilled players, but it doesn't make it and less safe to goalies.

It is the same principle as loading a steel golf shaft vs a graphite one. It takes less overall skating and balance ability to load a composite than wood. Thus the skill level required to load it and be accurate with it is less. The danger to goaltenders is that shots across the board are better and the goalie has less reaction time. I will look for the article I read but this came from the Hawks equipment manager as well. Great shooters get little to no benefit while poorer shooters become better.

It is the same principle as loading a steel golf shaft vs a graphite one. It takes less overall skating and balance ability to load a composite than wood. Thus the skill level required to load it and be accurate with it is less. The danger to goaltenders is that shots across the board are better and the goalie has less reaction time. I will look for the article I read but this came from the Hawks equipment manager as well. Great shooters get little to no benefit while poorer shooters become better.

It makes it easier to shoot. It doesn't make the shots harder.

Caught these just now nestled among the many Tweets re daily fantasy sports (NYS AG says they're illegal forms of gambling and must be shut down in NYS)

Definitely sounds like all sides support shrinking goalie equipment in time for next season.

Mo

Realistically, NHL goalies shoulder pads and pants could be streamlined in time for next season. Rough prototypes could be ready in Jan.

More

Thank god. I don't understand why with todays technology we have goalie pads the size of those fake sumo suits you rent for kids parties. 

Dean Lombardi tried to change the rules/get an exception to let Eichel be on Team USA for the World Tournament

"I tried to get an exception, like let us pick one or two guys, like Eichel," Lombardi said in a side chat with Craig Custance and myself Tuesday during a break in the NHL general managers meeting at the league’s Toronto office.

The NHL’s answer was a firm No.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/40048/team-usa-sought-exception-to-losing-all-players-under-24-for-world-cup

We've had some discussion on this in the "Around the NHL" thread, so I figured it'd be worth it's own thread. Mods, would it make sense to migrate some of those posts?

In a surprise to many, the NHL is considering larger nets if the tweaks in goalie equipment don't help scoring:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-not-ruling-out-bigger-nets-in-the-future/

Darren Dreger shared some tweets last night on the goalie changes coming as soon as next year

With carbon fibre, Kevlar, etc, league sources say there is no fear NHL goalies will face risk of injury with smaller equipment.

I would love to hear NHL goaltender views on smaller pads. I'm particularly interested in who this would favor and who it would disadvantage. Would GMTM still have a preference for larger goaltenders if smaller pads put a premium on quickness? Would "positionally sound" be an attribute that remains necessary, but becomes no longer sufficient?

I see organizational depth charts re-arranging.

Edited by N'eo

I have never thought there was a scoring problem.

Last year the most goals scored by any team was 269. That is good enough for 19th 20 years ago (I used 1993-94 since 1994-95 was a shortened season).

There was a total of 6,292 goals last season. There was a total of 7,081 goals in 1993-94. That's a decrease of 789 goals (or 13%) despite the league adding four teams (276 more games - yes, that's calculated using the 84 games each team played in 93-94). That's a difference of 1.4 goals per game in the NHL.

I know that's a single year, but I'm willing to bet you'd get similar numbers any other year in those time frames.

You've stated your position before. Why don't you think there's a problem when the eye test, the numbers, the officials, the media, the fans and the players all think otherwise?

Last year the most goals scored by any team was 269. That is good enough for 19th 20 years ago (I used 1993-94 since 1994-95 was a shortened season).

There was a total of 6,292 goals last season. There was a total of 7,081 goals in 1993-94. That's a decrease of 789 goals (or 13%) despite the league adding four teams (276 more games - yes, that's calculated using the 84 games each team played in 93-94). That's a difference of 1.4 goals per game in the NHL.

I know that's a single year, but I'm willing to bet you'd get similar numbers any other year in those time frames.

You've stated your position before. Why don't you think there's a problem when the eye test, the numbers, the officials, the media, the fans and the players all think otherwise?

Some of the most exciting hockey I watched as a Sabres fan was during a time that if we scored twice, we were probably going to win. Who cares how many goals are scored as long as it's a good game?

I like the brand of hockey the NHL is giving us this year (with how it's being called). It's more physical. The speed of the players may have slowed, but the speed of the passing is way up.

That, and I think the league average will go up dramatically this year simply by the Sabres not tanking anymore. :lol:

We've had some discussion on this in the "Around the NHL" thread, so I figured it'd be worth it's own thread. Mods, would it make sense to migrate some of those posts?

In a surprise to many, the NHL is considering larger nets if the tweaks in goalie equipment don't help scoring:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-not-ruling-out-bigger-nets-in-the-future/

Darren Dreger shared some tweets last night on the goalie changes coming as soon as next year

With carbon fibre, Kevlar, etc, league sources say there is no fear NHL goalies will face risk of injury with smaller equipment.

If only we had pressure sensor technology and approximately 9 months to test shots on the new goalie equipment versus the old stuff... like an actual experiment... with variable. 

Seriously the NHL be dumb at times. Get a couple different designs for smaller pads with different materials and test shots against them to see how they disperse and absorbed the force. The control could be the current pads.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.