NHL Scoring Problem

Hoss

Perfect article for this discussion, provided a lot of history and insight.

So the solution is really simple it turns out, and everyone here will love it. It is literally to get rid of Bettman

Holy crap!

I never knew it could be that simple. It's the whole 2 birds with 1 stone thing.

Who here is good a getting petitions going? This has to happen.

So the solution is really simple it turns out, and everyone here will love it. It is literally to get rid of Bettman

I didn't read it, but my first thought is that Bettman works for the owners. The governors vote on all these rule changes, they don't come down from Bettman. The state of the game is what the owners have created and apparently want.

Welp, I started it and scanned the rest. It looks interesting and probably has some value. But, man, it's hard to get past who wrote it — an anti-Sabre voice for sure — and that first paragraph, which is as sloppy as it gets. I guess I shouldn't be surprised he found a way to slight the Sabres:

"The 1992-93 season is often seen as being among the best ever. Mario Lemieux beat cancer and had 160 points in 60 games. Teemu Selanne obliterated the rookie scoring record with 76 goals. A new wave of Russian stars such as Sergei Fedorov, Alexander Mogilny and Pavel Bure was dazzling fans. And the league saw 14 players hit the 50-goal mark, and 20 reached 100 points."

Kill the loser point, 3pt system with losers getting nothing.  Make offsides like icing, once you hit center ice, anything goes. Increase net size by 5-10%. Reduce goalie equipment by 10%. Stop letting defenders grab passing offensive players after they shoot the puck past them. Now can we get back to some fun hockey?  Also great article, thank you!

Since 1994 the scoring has gone from 6.48 to 5.46 in 2014.  :sick:

Edited by LGR4GM

I didn't read it, but my first thought is that Bettman works for the owners. The governors vote on all these rule changes, they don't come down from Bettman. The state of the game is what the owners have created and apparently want.

Welp, I started it and scanned the rest. It looks interesting and probably has some value. But, man, it's hard to get past who wrote it — an anti-Sabre voice for sure — and that first paragraph, which is as sloppy as it gets. I guess I shouldn't be surprised he found a way to slight the Sabres:

"The 1992-93 season is often seen as being among the best ever. Mario Lemieux beat cancer and had 160 points in 60 games. Teemu Selanne obliterated the rookie scoring record with 76 goals. A new wave of Russian stars such as Sergei Fedorov, Alexander Mogilny and Pavel Bure was dazzling fans. And the league saw 14 players hit the 50-goal mark, and 20 reached 100 points."

Bettman is an old curmudgeon that gets by on the *see how much money I keep making for you* dance every year. Change is suicide in his mind. He's not smart enough (hockey wise) to know that he needs to tweak for entertainment value. In 1929 they knew hockey was boring and changed it. I believe there was still only six owners and over diner they could make it happen, a lot different today.

That's why Bettman is such a let down. He presents and gets passed rules or tweaking of rules (video replay, foot in crease) that discourage scoring. Why? Because he's hockey stupid. 

It's a nice day. I'm going out to gather some fire wood. Burning Bettman  on a stake seems like a good why to give thanks on Thanksgiving.

Edited by Woods-Racer

But, Woody (I know you're not Racy), everybody has a boss. Gary has 30 of them. I think we have to step away from Bettman and ask why things are the way they are. Do traditionalists wield too much power? Do the owners benefit when scoring is down, because goals cost them money at contract time? Is low scoring a way to even out talent and promote parity, making more teams profiitable?

But, Woody (I know you're not Racy), everybody has a boss. Gary has 30 of them. I think we have to step away from Bettman and ask why things are the way they are. Do traditionalists wield too much power? Do the owners benefit when scoring is down, because goals cost them money at contract time? Is low scoring a way to even out talent and promote parity, making more teams profiitable?

I think this is a very valid question.  Until TV viewership stops rising, I don't think the NHL and the Owners will be very worried about scoring. 

Money ruins a lot of things sadly.

Actually it is to come up with another revolutionary rule change similar to the allowance of the forward pass in 1930. So what radical change is like this? Fewer players (4 v 4?), no offsides/icing and body sized goalie pads (think baseball catcher's shin pads) are the three I can think of. 

Bettman is an old curmudgeon that gets by on the *see how much money I keep making for you* dance every year. Change is suicide in his mind. He's not smart enough (hockey wise) to know that he needs to tweak for entertainment value. In 1929 they knew hockey was boring and changed it. I believe there was still only six owners and over diner they could make it happen, a lot different today.

That's why Bettman is such a let down. He presents and gets passed rules or tweaking of rules (video replay, foot in crease) that discourage scoring. Why? Because he's hockey stupid. 

It's a nice day. I'm going out to gather some fire wood. Burning Bettman  on a stake seems like a good why to give thanks on Thanksgiving.

We are gonna have steak burning?! Oh hosanna!! I'll get the torches, anyone with rope, who is gonna collect the wood??!

And the owners have millions of bosses. It appears to me that the bosses of the owners are not going to games, just my personal observation from watching, because hockey is *boring*.

If the owners gather today and ask Bettman what should be done? He is after all very highly paid employee that should know these things. I'd bet Bettman would say something like *Scoring is down and I have the solution! We will reinstate  the two line pass rule, because when we had that rule there was more scoring! *

That's what I think he brings to the league.

We are gonna have steak burning?! Oh hosanna!! I'll get the torches, anyone with rope, who is gonna collect the wood??!

North Buffalo...I got the wood and beer. Just bring the rope, torches and steaks. Oh, and some of those new fangled portable chairs that fold up and get put in a bag. Start the party around 2 and the burning at 6?

Edit.

Almost forgot. pA you can call me what ever you want, just don't call me late for dinner!

Edited by Woods-Racer

Anyway we can make this a money making venture sell tickets and advertisements. $10 a head, free if you bring NHL front office heads with you

Cool, we just need to burn the heads. Won't need near as much wood, or the rope for that matter. $10.00 is good. And of course all proceeds will benefit the children.

Cool, we just need to burn the heads. Won't need near as much wood, or the rope for that matter. $10.00 is good. And of course all proceeds will benefit the children.

Widows and Orphans fund! also to pay off the refs the way the Cheatatriots and Habs do.

? What Venue should we use, barge on Lakie Erie or wooden raft above the falls?

What are you thinking?

Lining the shores of the Niagara River with ticket holding guests and releasing a wooden boat with the heads of the NHL just above the falls?  Any fan willing to spend an extra $10.00 on a ceremonial torch (proceeds to the Widows and Orphans of course!) get to throw it at the wooden boat to make a Viking-esque send off over the falls?

Cause I think we can make this happen.

Edited by Woods-Racer

26 regulation goals scored last night by a total of 14 teams...under 2 per team for the night.

According to the latest stats, we are down to 2.65 goals per game for the year so far. That is the lowest in almost 15 years.

It is also the greatest drop from one season to the next since 06-07 to 07-08 (not only is scoring bad, but it is getting worse at an increasing rate).

The thing is....shots per game haven't changed all that much over the years....very close to 30 per game per team...it is goalies save percentages that are much higher.  Is that a function of the goalies being too good or too much equipment (bigger nets needed)? or is it more a function of the quality of shots being a lot worse (coaching and D-zone play?)

It's due to the rise of the tall goalie.   Tall goalies are effective because the size of their upper body equipment takes away the top the net allowing taller, slower moving goaltenders to make positional vs reactionary saves.

The solution is simple... reduce the size of their equipment (namely chest/arms pads, make the gloves and blocker smaller by removing the "cheater" part of the pads).    This will force goalies to make reactionary saves vs just butterflying on their knees at the correct angle to take away 97% of the net.   As a result, taller, slower goaltenders will become less popular.

One misconception is that the tall goalie is more athletic these days.   The fact is that there have ALWAYS been tall goaltenders... they just haven't been very good because with appropriately sized equipment they were forced to make more reactionary saves, so smaller quicker athletes were preferred between the pipes.

Edited by pi2000

What are you thinking?

Lining the shores of the Niagara River with ticket holding guests and releasing a wooden boat with the heads of the NHL just above the falls?  Any fan willing to spend an extra $10.00 on a ceremonial torch (proceeds to the Widows and Orphans of course!) get to throw it at the wooden boat to make a Viking-esque send off over the falls?

Cause I think we can make this happen.

Awesome I think we have a plan, might need permission from Canadian authorities unless we make sure boat is channeled between the three sisters and goat island

Sorry but your fancy stats are not view-able without me spending $49 per month.  ​I will accept they are not declining from 2005 and have held steady at around 17500. That is what I think it said around the edges of the fancy stat add that I couldn't get rid of.

My quote from up thread...

It appears to me that the bosses of the owners are not going to games, just my personal observation from watching, because hockey is *boring*.

You can stat me to death on ticket sales, my eye ball test is that fans are not attending. Having season tickets is one thing. Not using them and not having buyers through stub hub or any place like that to unload them when you can't go doesn't seem to be working. It's a gut feeling from seeing empty seats at games.

The other gut feeling. Reporters/journalist that cover hockey are feeling it to. That is why there seem to be more and more pieces on scoring. 

I watch a lot of hockey (too much?), probably equal number of Sabres games and non Sabres games. The only time I'm frustrated by the lack of scoring in the NHL is when I'm watching the Sabres.

That sounds like I'm being silly, but rarely (like, never) does the amount of goals in a game even enter my mind when watching other teams. I can completely see how this could be a non-issue with more casual fans who don't know where we are historically with GPG.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.