NHL Scoring Problem

Hoss

Well, I'm pretty sure if they switched to less bulky gear, it would be just as protective as it is now. They're not going to be wearing what you're wearing, they'd be wearing top of the line gear designed to protect against NHL caliber shots. Just removing all of the puck blocking (non-protective) bulk is what people are talking about.

This is just an outrageous claim. Have you seen pro level gear? There's no way to maintain protection. De-bulking will inherently reduce it. Take the pro version of what I wear. http://www.goaliemonkey.com/warrior-chest-protector-ritual-g2-pro.html?gclid=CLTIxN_-k8sCFQUIaQodWv0PRQ

These guys aren't wearing giant plastic elbow protectors for fun. This stuff is bulky because it is serving a purpose.

This is just an outrageous claim. Have you seen pro level gear? There's no way to maintain protection. De-bulking will inherently reduce it. Take the pro version of what I wear. http://www.goaliemonkey.com/warrior-chest-protector-ritual-g2-pro.html?gclid=CLTIxN_-k8sCFQUIaQodWv0PRQ

These guys aren't wearing giant plastic elbow protectors for fun. This stuff is bulky because it is serving a purpose.

Hmmm, well those shoulders don't look nearly as bad as the ones in that video on the twitter that was posted earlier. The elbows are pretty massive, they're a lot more square compared to the non-Pro version.

Whatever, make the goals bigger.

I would be happy just changing the pads and the glove. A case can be made leaving everything else alone (maybe not the blocker or shoulders), but the pads and the glove in some cases now is downright comical.

I would be happy just changing the pads and the glove. A case can be made leaving everything else alone (maybe not the blocker or shoulders), but the pads and the glove in some cases now is downright comical.

return the leg risers down to mid 80's height and reduce the shoulders somewhat, even if just a little, and make the sweater more form fitting.  Opens things up along the ice and gives a little more target up top. 

I think changing the leg pads to prevent butterfly from blocking the entire ice from post to post would help the most.

Edited by We've

Glad you guys are finally coming around to the make the nets bigger argument. It's the simplest way to accomplish it with no pissing and moaning about player safety. They should be wider and slightly taller so the entire bottom of the net can't be covered when they drop to their knees. That should help until the league starts recruiting basketball centers to replace their 6'4" Viking goalies with 7 foot tall black guys (and once that happens we can widen the nets again).

Glad you guys are finally coming around to the make the nets bigger argument. It's the simplest way to accomplish it with no pissing and moaning about player safety. They should be wider and slightly taller so the entire bottom of the net can't be covered when they drop to their knees. That should help until the league starts recruiting basketball centers to replace their 6'4" Viking goalies with 7 foot tall black guys (and once that happens we can widen the nets again).

I don't think anyone new is on the bigger nets kick.  LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it looks like the NHL is going to give a small amount of lip service to this, but nothing more.

Smaller pads are coming, the league has prototypes ready (chest protector, pants) and are looking to test it out during the World Cup of Hockey in September, quite possibly enforcing it as early as next season.

So has goalies becoming larger human beings. Can't legislate that with equipment size. Nets are the answer.

Equipment has grown larger, chest protector and pants are ridiculous these days.   Streamlined gear will open up more holes.

Edited by pi2000

Equipment has grown larger, chest protector and pants are ridiculous these days.   Streamlined gear will open up more holes.

Of course, but it's not some kind of magic bullet. You can put 1970s-sized equipment on the goalies, but they're still going to cover more of the net than the 1970s goalies because they're 3 inches taller.

Of course, but it's not some kind of magic bullet. You can put 1970s-sized equipment on the goalies, but they're still going to cover more of the net than the 1970s goalies because they're 3 inches taller.

That's ok; the skaters have advantages now that they didn't have then.

Sure the goalies are taller, but smaller gear means there will be more net to shoot at than there is currently.    

If that gets us to more 6-7 goal games than 3-4 goal games,  it's a success.   

However, my primary concern is that changing goalie equipment size won't change how the game is played.   Sure there will be more goals per game, but does that mean the game gets more exciting to watch?   You're still going to have the same "get the puck back to the point, shoot it through a crowd and hope it finds the net" type of strategy.    To open up the flow of the game we need 90ft wide rinks (5ft wider), and maybe enforce illegal defenses (like basketball).

Edited by pi2000

Sure the goalies are taller, but smaller gear means there will be more net to shoot at than there is currently.    

If that gets us to more 6-7 goal games than 3-4 goal games,  it's a success.   

I don't think shrinking the equipment by the amount they're likely to will have any meaningful effect on scoring, certainly not nearly doubling it. It's kind of why I'm getting tired of the entire goalie equipment debate--the amount of change we're talking about is like going on a diet by cutting back on salad dressing while keeping the 16oz steak every other night on the menu.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.