NHL Scoring Problem

Hoss

I know you think it would help. I don't. And apparently guys who get paid to do it for a living don't either. 

Where does the article say that?   The underlying theme is that the game is much more tight these days.      Making the goalies smaller in the net will result in more goals scored.... will they be pretty?   No.   Does that make the game better?  

Maybe it forces defense to get even tighter, encouraging even more shot blocking since pucks hitting the net are more likely to go in.  Is that good for the game?    I think it's a step in the right direction, but to get back to the free flowing game of the 80's and early 90's they'll need rule changes, not just equipment adjustments.

Where does the article say that?   The underlying theme is that the game is much more tight these days.      Making the goalies smaller in the net will result in more goals scored.... will they be pretty?   No.   Does that make the game better?  

Maybe it forces defense to get even tighter, encouraging even more shot blocking since pucks hitting the net are more likely to go in.  Is that good for the game?    I think it's a step in the right direction, but to get back to the free flowing game of the 80's and early 90's they'll need rule changes, not just equipment adjustments.

Your last sentence is the recap of the article no? The players seem pretty aware that tweaking goalie gear is like chasing the magic dragon. 

Your last sentence is the recap of the article no? The players seem pretty aware that tweaking goalie gear is like chasing the magic dragon. 

I agree, tweaking the goalie gear isn't going to open up more offense.   However, something needed to be done to regulate it as it's gotten out of hand the last 10 years or so.   

Assuming these equipment changes go into effect next season, what does this mean for college, junior, and european leagues?   How does it impact scouting, etc... assuming those leagues don't enforce similar equipment rules.

I agree, tweaking the goalie gear isn't going to open up more offense.   However, something needed to be done to regulate it as it's gotten out of hand the last 10 years or so.   

Assuming these equipment changes go into effect next season, what does this mean for college, junior, and european leagues?   How does it impact scouting, etc... assuming those leagues don't enforce similar equipment rules.

It will affect the entire industry and the game at every level. Every manufacturer will have to re-tool their offerings to make NHL compliant gear, and they will only make NHL compliant gear. 

It will affect the entire industry and the game at every level. Every manufacturer will have to re-tool their offerings to make NHL compliant gear, and they will only make NHL compliant gear. 

But what's to stop non-NHL players from using old non-NHL compliant gear?     They'll still need to make 2XL pants for overweight rec players.     Will the KHL enforce the same rules?  It really up to them.    I just don't see how the NHL can enforce these regulations across all professional and junior leagues.   

I know you think it would help. I don't. And apparently guys who get paid to do it for a living don't either. 

Except for the guy who made that video that you don't agree with and the thousands of others that do, including some that talked about it at the GM meetings. I guess they should all just talk to you.

The three things I mentioned might not lead directly to goals going in, but they absolutely would lead to less rebound control which would lead to more goals.

Who cares? Companies love having reasons sell all new gear to people. Is that what you are mad at? You having to buy new gear?

Edited by SwampD

But what's to stop non-NHL players from using old non-NHL compliant gear?     They'll still need to make 2XL pants for overweight rec players.     Will the KHL enforce the same rules?  It really up to them.    I just don't see how the NHL can enforce these regulations across all professional and junior leagues.   

But players buy new gear and when the manufacturers stop making gear to the old specs you'll only be able to get the new spec stuff. 

The NHL, to be honest, will barely enforce it themselves. The other leagues probably wont either. Once players get past a certain level they start customizing their stuff anyway. But the real difference will be at the lower levels where players are forced to buy the new NHL spec gear.  

Except for the guy who made that video that you don't agree with and the thousands of others that do, including some that talked about it at the GM meetings. I guess they should all just talk to you.

Who cares? Companies love having reasons sell all new gear to people. Is that what you are mad at? You having to buy new gear?

That guy who made the video is still garbage. And as we are well aware with how this league is managed, the people at the top don't know what they're doing either. 

The question was just what other leagues will do. I answered it by noting that they'll have to use the NHL spec because that's how the manufacturers work. Everyone uses NHL spec. 

I get what you're saying, but to a degree "that's life". Almost all the beef in the US is supplied to McDonald's' standards because as the 800-lb gorilla they dictate what they'll buy and everyone follows. Sport motorcycles generally align to racing classes; you used to be able to buy 750cc sport bikes from everyone but now that there's no 750cc racing class, they're all-but gone. Things change at the top and it trickles down to the lower levels.

But players buy new gear and when the manufacturers stop making gear to the old specs you'll only be able to get the new spec stuff. 

The NHL, to be honest, will barely enforce it themselves. The other leagues probably wont either. Once players get past a certain level they start customizing their stuff anyway. But the real difference will be at the lower levels where players are forced to buy the new NHL spec gear.  

i still wear the same breezers I wore in 25 years ago in college.    The chest protectors and pants are not something you replace every year or even every +5 years.    

I imagine this will be an NHL, AHL, and ECHL rule only.    IMO college and junior leagues probably don't adopt these rules. 

That guy who made the video is still garbage. And as we are well aware with how this league is managed, the people at the top don't know what they're doing either. 

The question was just what other leagues will do. I answered it by noting that they'll have to use the NHL spec because that's how the manufacturers work. Everyone uses NHL spec. 

:lol:

This is now comical.

I can only imagine what you would say if someone tried get you to take some beer leaguer's word over someone who actually played in the NHL.

i still wear the same breezers I wore in 25 years ago in college. The chest protectors and pants are not something you replace every year or even every +5 years.

I imagine this will be an NHL, AHL, and ECHL rule only. IMO college and junior leagues probably don't adopt these rules.

College and junior will have to follow suit due to availability of equipment. A lot of those guys get new gear every year so they'll adopt the standards of whatever gear is being produced. For the average player it's whatever, but most leagues follow NHL spec for gear because it's all you can buy.

Not sure if you saw my edit about rebound control.

I think if you want to limit rebound control you have to make the padding harder. Leg pads especially. Although goalies are pretty good at directing pucks now instead of actually stopping them with the leg pads, so that might work the other way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Easier to do that, than make new nets at every level which would be next to impossible.

Easier to do that, than make new nets at every level which would be next to impossible.

There already are 3 different sized nets at every rink w/ a youth program. There initially would only be the bigger nets at the pro levels w/ major junior programs following next. They managed to go from the Art Ross nets to the more streamlined ones w/ no major issues. This could come to pass as well.

There are already a lot of rinks & youth programs buying cross ice boards (not just the cushions). Change happens. I used to believe the expense & hassle of new nets would be prohibitive; I don't now.

• 1 month later...

Wasn't sure where to plunk this, and I figured this thread would do because I'm sure there are discussions here re goalie equipment.

Below are pictures of an indoor lax goalie whose picture appears in today's BN (the picture from the BN will not post here (and he seems even bigger in the BN pic)).

There is someone -- I cannot think of whom (Schopp?) -- who's somewhat (in)famously said over the years that an NHL team needs to get like a 400 lbs. guy and stick him in goal. Looks like indoor lacrosse is ahead of the curve (?) on that ... approach.

Dave-Diruscio-CLax1.jpg

diruscio.jpg

The guy lists on Wiki as 6'3" and 300 lbs. If this guy is 300 lbs., I will eat my hat.

I wonder if I'd like indoor more. What are the rule differences?

Oh, you found outdoor to be boring?  I love outdoor lacrosse.

The rule differences are similar to the rule differences between soccer and indoor soccer.  One significant one is the goalie wears all this huge equipment indoors.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.