GDT: Buffalo @ Pittsburgh, 7:00 pm edt, 10/29/2015

WildCard

The Buffalo Sabres stroll into Pittsburgh on Thursday night with perhaps a little more bounce in their step after a thrilling OT winner in Philly on Tuesday night. Pittsburgh is also feeling good, coming off a 3-1 win against the EC giants that are the Washington Capitals, and even managing to find some chemistry with Malkin and Kessel. The Sabres fore-check will look to pin the Pens dynamic forwards in their zone to neutralize them, and Chad Johnson should have a hell of a game ahead of him. However, a very interesting stat, as wjag (I believe) pointed out, is the Sabres actually have 4 more goals than the apparently dominate Pens offense, pointing to chemistry issues for the Penguins.

HDDDB will look to exact some revenge on the team that canned him two years back in his first bout against the Penguins as a HC.

"“I look at the empty seats, I know 50 faces [that will be] in the stands tomorrow and where they sit,” the Sabres coach said. “I know where my family sat when they were here. There’s certainly going to be some emotions...Being here for a year last year, I probably became a little bit emotionally detached from the team and the city,” he said. “Coming in last night it felt different than probably the previous 400 days that I’ve been in Pittsburgh" -HDDDB

Game Preview

WEDNESDAY'S PRACTICE (NOTE: Reinhart & Ennis had a maintenance day, both are expected to start)

Forwards:

44 Nicolas Deslauriers – 90 Ryan O'Reilly – 59 Tim Schaller (Ennis)

22 Johan Larsson – 15 Jack Eichel – Assistant Coach Dave Barr (Reinhart)

26 Matt Moulson – 28 Zemgus Girgensons – 12 Brian Gionta

82 Marcus Foligno – 17 David Legwand – 88 Jamie McGinn

Defensemen:

Josh Gorges, 55 Rasmus Ristolainen,

29 Jake McCabe, 46 Cody Franson,

25 Carlo Colaiacovo, 3Mark Pysyk,

Mike Weber

31 Chad Johnson
35 Linus Ullmark

449792_1414889022966.jpg

Edited by WildCard

Catching them on the second day of a back-to-back including travel back from DC may mean a weary team.  Still, if the Sabres have a chance they're going to have to jump on them early and often and keep them off balance.  The Pens will undoubtedly get their shots at the net and with their skill the Sabres better score a few of their own.  The Caps outshot the Pens, but Fleury stole a game for them.  The Sabres need to pound him with shots and hope he can't steal two in a row.

With a little luck, they hopefully are looking past us after yesterday's nationally televised game versus the Caps. They have only scored 16 goals is 9 games but at the same time they have only given up 17. With the 3 big named players on that team are they really turning into a defensive juggernaut??? Go Sabres.

I expect Buffalo to win.  There is no reason to lose to a Pens team coming off of a hard game in Washington.  Buffalo needs to put away games like this.

I never "expect" any team I root for to win anything...EVER!  I just can't get there.  Every win is a pleasant surprise.  :bag:

I expect Buffalo to win.  There is no reason to lose to a Pens team coming off of a hard game in Washington.  Buffalo needs to put away games like this.

I'm not to the point of making such an affirmative statement, but a win is certainly possible.  Which is not something we could say last year.

WGR pointed out this morning that coming into tonight game the Sabres have the fourth best corsi number  and the Pens are ranked 25th(? if memory is correct).

The question asked just before  I turned them off:

When wast the last time Pens-Sabres match-up the Sabres had a better corsi number going in?

My guess 2006-07.

It's nice to see these little steps up the rung of Sabres hockey improvement.

Edited by Woods-Racer

I'm kinda hoping the Sabres' nascent resurgence brings back the guy who used to post here in a blind fury about Pittsburgh.  He had to live there because of his in-laws, was deeply unhappy about it and posted some outstanding rants.

Who was that?  We could probably find him by searching for Shitsburgh.... that was the guy, right?

WGR pointed out this morning that coming into tonight game the Sabres have the fourth best corsi number  and the Pens are ranked 25th(? if memory is correct).

They question asked when I turned them off:

When wast the last time Pens-Sabres match-up the Sabres had a better corsi number going in.

Corsi might not matter against a hot goalie.  My hope is that after last night Fleury is tired or resting (yeah, I'm not too proud yet and I can hope to get the other team's backup).

WGR pointed out this morning that coming into tonight game the Sabres have the fourth best corsi number and the Pens are ranked 25th(? if memory is correct).

They question asked when I turned them off:

When wast the last time Pens-Sabres match-up the Sabres had a better corsi number going in?

My guess 2006-07.

So they actually discussed hockey this morning?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.