New year, tons of firepower, still cant score.

matter2003

I've wondered if the merciful end of the tank and the arrival of Eichel, Kane, O'Riley et. al. might just lead to fan meltdown when the team didn't turn into the '87 Oilers immediately. 

The team is so, so much better than it's been.  Baby steps.  If we're still looking at 1.8 goals per game come the spring then I think it'll be worth asking some pointed questions.  I do not for one second think it'll come to that.

No, the fans will be looking for progress.  The progress so far:

. The team is watchable

. First goals by Eichel, McCabe, Samson

. First win under DD

. Playing TB so much better this last time

There have been setbacks too, not the least of which is losing Lehner early.  Also, because DD is still messing with line combinations, chemistry is slow to form. 

I expect his tinkering to slow down and more established lines (or at least pairs) to emerge soon (but wouldn't be shocked to see another 5 games of tinkering).  Players will become less concerned with the tendencies of their linemates (because they'll become second nature) and offensive creativity will increase. 

I have given in to the 20 game idea. Let's see what the record is then. I think that is a fair amount of time to get an idea where the team is at. Like I have said a hundred times - this is not a playoff team.

Another concern is Kane. The guy has been busting his ass. The goals will come. My concern is will continued loosing bring out the bad in him.

Another issue is lack of depth. An injury or two to a forward and it is Matt Ellis time.

Edited by sicknfla

I'm still going to say the season turned on the offsides challenge..... Nah, but admittedly we are more fun to watch.... I don't know specifics, but our analytics must be up a lot from last year (corsi, possession, etc) time to beat some goalies

And some starting goalies, at that. It's been nice seeing them again.

I have given in to the 20 game idea. Let's see what the record is then. I think that is a fair amount of time to get an idea where the team is at. Like I have said a hundred times - this is not a playoff team.

Another concern is Kane. The guy has been busting his ass. The goals will come. My concern is will continued loosing bring out the bad in him.

Another issue is lack of depth. An injury or two to a forward and it is Matt Ellis time.

I do not think so.  Injuries will give the Sabres an opportunity to take a look at the other farm hands like Carrier, Baptiste, Rodriguez, Schaller and possibly Bailey. Although on D it could mean Donovan.  

I do not think so. Injuries will give the Sabres an opportunity to take a look at the other farm hands like Carrier, Baptiste, Rodriguez, Schaller and possibly Bailey. Although on D it could mean Donovan.

The guys you mentioned so far have a combined ZERO goals. Ellis has 3. Of course it is early but I think if those guys are not lighting up the AHL Murray is not going to waste their time in the bigs. Let them develop down there and bring up someone that can fit in. Hello Matt Ellis!

Edited by sicknfla

An Ellis/Reinhart pairing is eminent.

As a side note..

Reinhardt is the auto correct for Reinhart, so it's not the author it's their computer's fault.

Reinhardt comes up as the third choice on my phone. Perhaps it's user driven. Not sure how these tiny thinking boxes work but I think it may derive off user history.

I think Ellis is further down than that, but yeah I know what you mean.  But honestly I think we're kind of okay, at least at the forward positions.  The center depth is already on the team where a couple of passable centers are playing wing just to have a spot.  I could see where Rodrigues would be called up, or Fasching or Bailey or whomever.  I think the defensive depth is shallower and we're exposed this year but things will improve as the boys down on the farm get some experience.

I trust Disco Dan to handle personalities like Kane.  There will undoubtedly be some level of frustration until the chemistry develops.  That may actually be part of the reason DD is changing up the lines so much, so that the players can blame it on him instead of themselves, until the chemistry emerges.

I seem to remember the 05-06 Sabres starting out extremely poorly.  No, I'm not saying this team can or will reach those heights....yet.  Just trying to lend some perspective.

This year's Blue Jays started out poorly.  So did the Texas Rangers.  They were both sub-.500 at the All Star break and both won their divisions.  I know baseball =/= hockey, but a slow start can be overcome in both.

No, the fans will be looking for progress.

That there has been progress is not really up for debate. Yet, I'm still seeing Joe McGrath style "WE'RE LOSING!!!!" freak outs. Not limited to here and not calling anyone out. It's been five games. Game five was tons better than game one. It'll come together.

There is progress. We're 11th in the league in CF%, as opposed to dead last last season. 

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/teamstats.php?disp=1&db=201516&sit=5v5&sort=CFPCT&sortdir=DESC

They're generating way more scoring chances than they did last season, and giving up fewer.   They've had some tough matchups earlier on here against some of the elite teams in the conference, TB twice and OTT.    They have some better matchups here in the next few weeks, TOR, NJD, PHI (twice),     I expect goals.

No, the fans will be looking for progress.  The progress so far:

. The team is watchable

. First goals by Eichel, McCabe, Samson

. First win under DD

. Playing TB so much better this last time

I'll add: the Sabres are not giving up many shots. Whatever the math is, I'd guess about 4 fewer shots per period than last year. 

I seem to remember the 05-06 Sabres starting out extremely poorly.  No, I'm not saying this team can or will reach those heights....yet.  Just trying to lend some perspective.

Yes and no. They won six of eight to start then lost seven of nine. Just before Thanksgiving they went on a torrid tear that lasted through March.

The guys you mentioned so far have a combined ZERO goals. Ellis has 3. Of course it is early but I think if those guys are not lighting up the AHL Murray is not going to waste their time in the bigs. Let them develop down there and bring up someone that can fit in. Hello Matt Ellis!

I am not saying they stay, but they get a showcase.  Matt Ellis is where they want him.  Now my opinion is based on the "this is a developmental year" philosophy.  If we are in the hunt in March Schaller and O"reilly could be your callups.

The Sabres out shot the Lightning 16-3 in the first period.  They out shot a team that is favored to be in the SCF mix again this year.  

When was the last time the Sabres had a +13 in shot differential in a single period... hell in a whole game?

I'm happy.

This team wasn't supposed to be a playoff team.  it was supposed to improve dramatically and then next year continue that momentum.  So... away we go.

For those who still can't get on board.. think of this perspective.  The next time you watch a game listen for the phrase "but not out".  You won't hear it as much anymore.  Be happy about that.

Ok. wasn't there something like an 8 goal loss to Ottawa in there somewhere too?

10-4 loss at home. They also got pounded twice in Ottawa in the early going. The second of those losses, in mid-November, marked the beginning of 36-7-5 stretch. Incredible.

I still think Ottawa in fall 2005 was one of the most dominant teams i've ever seen. 

Ottawa was loaded that year.  That's why beating them in the playoffs (albeit with Dominik out with an injury) remains one of the post-French Connection franchise highlights.

Ottawa crushed the Sabres several times that year until the Sabres figured out that they (the Sabres) were really good too.  I was never a Vanek fan, but he had one of his finest moments as a Sabre when the Sabres finally beat them -- he broke out the "around the world" move in the shootout to beat Dominik.

And then of course there was 7-6.

Ah well.  It was sweet while it lasted.

For those who still can't get on board.. think of this perspective.  The next time you watch a game listen for the phrase "but not out".  You won't hear it as much anymore.  Be happy about that.

BAM.  There's a big part of the difference from last year's team in three words.

Looking over some random numbers, the Sabres are a significantly improved team through their first 5 games. Corsi is way up, time of possession is way up, and shots against are way way way down. Statistically speaking we are under producing according to what should be our baseline. I would expect that we see a return to what we actually are sometime in the next couple weeks. The team will finally build chemistry and players will start to slide into their long term roles. The return on investment is coming.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.