GDT Buffalo at Ottawa 9-26-15 7 PM WGR 550

Brawndo

I missed the game, but I've heard that the EEK line was simply incredible. Anyone think they'll stay together for the regular season?

I prefer the KEE line to the EEK line. And no, I don't. Next year maybe, but not this year--as good as he is, I don't want Eichel facing the other team's best players as a rookie.

Edit: I should add that if it evolves that way over the course of the season, that's fine (and if Eichel earns it then where in for a pretty awesome next 15 years). I just don't think it would be wise to have that line right out of the gate.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I prefer the KEE line to the EEK line. And no, I don't. Next year maybe, but not this year--as good as he is, I don't want Eichel facing the other team's best players as a rookie.

Edit: I should add that if it evolves that way over the course of the season, that's fine (and if Eichel earns it then where in for a pretty awesome next 15 years). I just don't think it would be wise to have that line right out of the gate.

EEK, as in what the goalie says when he sees 'em coming at him.

I get your point on the rookie thing & somewhat agree.

I'll give you that I haven't seen him win many battles along the boards, but he hasn't been there that much. Play away from the puck looked ok to me, but it was a small sample size. He very well could/does need more work on that. Will it improve more going against NHLers or AHLers? My guess is that will improve more against better competition.

I wouldn't overweigh his expectations based on being the 2nd overall pick last year. It was a weaker than typical draft and he was (IIRC based on posts here) the 1st 1st forward selected that didn't enter the NHL fulll time at 18 since Dumont. He looks to be on track to be a solid NHLer, maybe very solid/special.

His passing and his vision seem to be ready for the big league. Not sure how much beating AHLers would improve that.

Insight .... particular developmental opportunities in one league vs another. Grateful ...

I missed the game, but I've heard that the EEK line was simply incredible.  Anyone think they'll stay together for the regular season?

I don't know the answer, but Bylsma has never been known as much of a line juggler in the past. I could see him trying both. 

They are a really fast line. 

It really is too early in pre-season for clubs to match lines (especially with Buffalo),  but I really think KOE makes more sense on the road, KEE at home. 

watched those highlights, and -- man, oh, man.

i accept that the team may be a playoff bubble team this year (or even further out than the bubble). but i also know that they're going to be so much more fun to watch than they have been in recent memory.

Although it's really difficult to judge the team by the highlights I've seen also, the upgrade in team speed and aggressiveness is so apparent it's going to be hard to keep expectations down. If nothing else the games will be astronomically more exciting to watch this year. Realistically the young guys need to learn the nuances of the NHL but once that kicks in, they are going to be load to play. Thank goodness we're also not in the West, that conference looks stacked.

Our roster is constructed in such a way that he can be shifted around between the 5th and 10th forward spot and get 11-14 minutes a night with solid players, playing against second or third liners and never be asked to carry the team. He can pile up enough points on the PP to keep his confidence up and grow into a second-line role. He'll learn way more about the NHL by being in the NHL. 

Good points.   However, I just think he'd be better off getting 18-20min a night playing on a top-line in Roch (w/ Bailey and Baptiste?).   They could develop some nice chemistry down there, get lot of time on the PP and learn the pro-game.

Playing 3rd line minutes with less offensively talented players won't help him develop into a 1st or 2nd line skill player.... see Grigorenko, Mikhail.      I'd rather plug a guy like Larsson onto the 3rd line with a guy like McGinn and Girgensons.   All 3 are strong on the puck, can win most battles, score the odd goal, etc.. .which is what you need from your third line.     I'd let Reinhart bake in Roch until he's ready for take over 2nd line duties from a guy like Gionta.  

Good points. However, I just think he'd be better off getting 18-20min a night playing on a top-line in Roch (w/ Bailey and Baptiste?). They could develop some nice chemistry down there, get lot of time on the PP and learn the pro-game.

Playing 3rd line minutes with less offensively talented players won't help him develop into a 1st or 2nd line skill player.... see Grigorenko, Mikhail. I'd rather plug a guy like Larsson onto the 3rd line with a guy like McGinn and Girgensons. All 3 are strong on the puck, can win most battles, score the odd goal, etc.. .which is what you need from your third line. I'd let Reinhart bake in Roch until he's ready for take over 2nd line duties from a guy like Gionta.

Samson has first line hockey IQ and hands. Playing a limited 3rd line role with vets will definitely help develop him into a top 6 forward. The next step for Samson is to acclimate himself to NHL speed, which I don't think will take very long. Grigorenko is nowhere near the player Samson is away from the puck or between the ears.

Taro said it recently: Samson can't learn NHL game speed in the A.

Samson has first line hockey IQ and hands. Playing a limited 3rd line role with vets will definitely help develop him into a top 6 forward. The next step for Samson is to acclimate himself to NHL speed, which I don't think will take very long. Grigorenko is nowhere near the player Samson is away from the puck or between the ears.

Taro said it recently: Samson can't learn NHL game speed in the A.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree :)    He already thinks the game at NHL speed, his skating has gotten better, but still needs work and he needs to get stronger on the puck and along the wall.   He'll develop faster playing top line and PP in Roch than he will 3rd line in Buffalo.    It'll be a big boost for his confidence as well, which is important for young players to have success early in their career.    The AHL isn't a garage league, it's faster than juniors so he'll it's not like he'll be regressing down there.

Will be interesting to see where is ends up.  

Good points.   However, I just think he'd be better off getting 18-20min a night playing on a top-line in Roch (w/ Bailey and Baptiste?).   They could develop some nice chemistry down there, get lot of time on the PP and learn the pro-game.

Playing 3rd line minutes with less offensively talented players won't help him develop into a 1st or 2nd line skill player.... see Grigorenko, Mikhail.      I'd rather plug a guy like Larsson onto the 3rd line with a guy like McGinn and Girgensons.   All 3 are strong on the puck, can win most battles, score the odd goal, etc.. .which is what you need from your third line.     I'd let Reinhart bake in Roch until he's ready for take over 2nd line duties from a guy like Gionta.

This team's 3rd line will not get significantly less time than the top 2 lines as the season progresses. Playing in Buffalo, he'll be on the #2 PP and can catch the occasional shift w/ O'Reilly or Eichel. If he's ready to play in the NHL, he'll learn more there than he will dominating AHLers. From the little bit I've seen, IMHO he's ready.

Give him the chance on day 1 and if he's not ready, explain what he needs to work on, send him down, and let him know how he earns his next crack at it. The kid is not Eichel, but he isn't a Bailey nor Baptiste (both of whom could have very good, long NHL careers, but aren't ready to begin them yet) either.

His play in Ra-cha-cha down the stretch; seeing in person how much bigger he is than last year; and the little I've seen of this preseason have converted my opinion from being start him in Ra-cha-cha and break him in slowly to let him try it here and give him the support to keep the game from happening too quick for him to process. Being successful between Gionta and McGinn AND on the #2 PP will accelerate his development more than being an AHL AS; again IMHO. Had Ra-cha-cha been an option last year, that would have been the place for him.

And Grigorenko was a special case of mis-management; he is very difficult to use as an example of why Reinhart should be in Ra-cha-cha because they used him in the worst possible manner in his brief (but too long to delay his ELD from kicking in) stays during his 1st 2 years.

They demonstrated last year that they won't do to Sam what they did to Mike.

Anyone know how Grigo has looked early on with Colorado?  I'm assuming very few follow them but any tidbits from the media?

There's remarkably little being said about him in Colorado.  In a preview of the season, he's listed in their "Key Additions" list and he's shown as the 3rd line center.  The writeups basically talk about disappointment in Buffalo following success under Roy in the Q.

Reinhart doesn't need to go to the AHL where virtually all of our best prospects have suffered concussions. Also, if they are going to pair him with Gionta on the 3rd line they better damn well put some muscle at left wing with them in the form of McGinn, Foligno, or Deslauriers. I don't want to see him run head first into the boards with only the likes of Gionta, Larsson, and someone like Colaiacovo and Donovan on defense.

I'll give you that I haven't seen him win many battles along the boards, but he hasn't been there that much. Play away from the puck looked ok to me, but it was a small sample size. He very well could/does need more work on that. Will it improve more going against NHLers or AHLers? My guess is that will improve more against better competition.

I wouldn't overweigh his expectations based on being the 2nd overall pick last year. It was a weaker than typical draft and he was (IIRC based on posts here) the 1st 1st forward selected that didn't enter the NHL fulll time at 18 since Dumont. He looks to be on track to be a solid NHLer, maybe very solid/special.

His passing and his vision seem to be ready for the big league. Not sure how much beating AHLers would improve that.

This is exactly where I stand as well. Reinhart is going to learn the most and develop quickest from being up with the big club.

You are absolutely correct on the pucks on the wall.

As for his play away from the puck, I'd advise you to take another look at the Leaf game, but with a different focus.

If you are looking for puck pursuit and overpowering guys defensively, you will always be disappointed by Samson.

His game is about finding and using open spaces and moving to where the puck is going. He will never reach the same stature, obviously, but his play style is very Gretzky-esque. As he grows you are going to see how the puck will start following him around.

Watch how when a teammate has the puck he almost always finds a soft spot offensively. The Deslauriers goal was a great example. He slowed down to create a seam, then moved into it. When backchecking he always has his head up, drops down low and fills potential danger spots. I rarely saw him out of position.

In my view he is much better served in the NHL because the key to improvement for him is adapting to NHL speed — not in terms of his own skating, but in terms of how quickly holes open and close.

He can only do that by playing at NHL speed.

Our roster is constructed in such a way that he can be shifted around between the 5th and 10th forward spot and get 11-14 minutes a night with solid players, playing against second or third liners and never be asked to carry the team. He can pile up enough points on the PP to keep his confidence up and grow into a second-line role. He'll learn way more about the NHL by being in the NHL. 

Precisely.

Unless Moulson - O'Reilly - Girgensons functions as the top line. Then Kane - Eichel - Ennis may be able to play as the more protected 2nd line.

Although other teams could possibly key on the Eichel line in that case, even if it was our "2nd" line. I guess it depends how good that potential O'Reilly line would mesh.

Still think Kane - O'Reilly - Ennis is the most likely top line to start.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.