Everything Sabres Uniform Related - Royal Blue Please!

CallawaySabres

Just caught this.  Do you identify as someone from NYS or as a Buffalonian?  Definitely the latter for me.  I don't feel any connection to the rest of the state at all.  This isn't Pennsylvania.  NYS doesn't really have a state identity like most states do.

The state identity is tied to NYC.  Most people in the state (like 90% from what Google tells me) live in Metro NYC.  There's a great big land area outside of metro NYC that does not identify with NYC.  The upstate area doesn't have that identity, but the population is only about 10% of the state.  So can you say NYS doesn't have an identity?  90% of the population would disagree.

The state identity is tied to NYC.  Most people in the state (like 90% from what Google tells me) live in Metro NYC.  There's a great big land area outside of metro NYC that does not identify with NYC.  The upstate area doesn't have that identity, but the population is only about 10% of the state.  So can you say NYS doesn't have an identity?  90% of the population would disagree.

7MM or so people is 10% of the state?

:huh:

Full list:

Scandella - 6

Nelson - 8

Josefson - 10

Baptiste - 13

McCabe - 19

Fasching - 24

Fedun - 27

Pominville - 29

Pouliot - 67

Beaulieu - 82

Nylander - 92

Antipin - 93

Bailey - 95 

Beaulieu's number is gross and will be hard to disassociate with Foligno. I'm glad Rip decided the kids could pick their own. We should be much more aesthetically pleasing than last year with all of the 50s and 70s

Don't think it was Rip's call.

Full list:

Scandella - 6

Nelson - 8

Josefson - 10

Baptiste - 13

McCabe - 19

Fasching - 24

Fedun - 27

Pominville - 29

Pouliot - 67

Beaulieu - 82

Nylander - 92

Antipin - 93

Bailey - 95 

Beaulieu's number is gross and will be hard to disassociate with Foligno. I'm glad Rip decided the kids could pick their own. We should be much more aesthetically pleasing than last year with all of the 50s and 70s

Thought Beaulieu wore 28 in Moe-ray-all. Did youexpect Girgensons to give it up?

Besides, he SHOULD'VE worn 71.

Foligno, that is.

Thought Beaulieu wore 28 in Moe-ray-all. Did youexpect Girgensons to give it up?

Besides, he SHOULD'VE worn 71.

Foligno, that is.

I would feel weird coming to a team and immediately wearing the jersey number of someone who was on it the season before. I think I would even avoid it. But I understand if Baloo really likes 82 or something. 

I would feel weird coming to a team and immediately wearing the jersey number of someone who was on it the season before. I think I would even avoid it. But I understand if Baloo really likes 82 or something.

C'mon, the number is important. Even in lousy men's league, we want OUR number. And if it isn't available, we find something thst's close. Foligno is gone. There isn't a mourning period. For crying out loud Tucker got 7 & LaFontaine's 16 went to Taylor. If THEIR #'s can be reassigned, so can Marcus'.

C'mon, the number is important. Even in lousy men's league, we want OUR number. And if it isn't available, we find something thst's close. Foligno is gone. There isn't a mourning period. For crying out loud Tucker got 7 & LaFontaine's 16 went to Taylor. If THEIR #'s can be reassigned, so can Marcus'.

Right. But I would feel weird as a player. I'm conscious of optics and I would hate the optics of being associated with a player that fans were like 50/50 on. 

Right. But I would feel weird as a player. I'm conscious of optics and I would hate the optics of being associated with a player that fans were like 50/50 on.

:huh: Not sure what you mean by the optics of a 50% fan favorite.

The metro area, not just NYC.  It's about 18 million, after taking out NJ, PA, CT.

There's 19MM in NYS. There's 12MM in "greater" NYC (NYC, LI, Suffolk, etc.) which puts 7 MM elsewhere in state. ~2.4MM in WNY, 1.6 in Greater Ra-cha-cha, 3MM in ST, SYR, ALB, Adironacks.

The WHOLE ####ing state is 19MM. You REALLY believe 18MM of that is NYC? If so, you definitely are a product of RPI.

:huh: Not sure what you mean by the optics of a 50% fan favorite.

There's 19MM in NYS. There's 12MM in "greater" NYC (NYC, LI, Suffolk, etc.) which puts 7 MM elsewhere in state. ~2.4MM in WNY, 1.6 in Greater Ra-cha-cha, 3MM in ST, SYR, ALB, Adironacks.

The WHOLE ####ing state is 19MM. You REALLY believe 18MM of that is NYC? If so, you definitely are a product of RPI.

It's just weird. "Oh hey, there's that guy with Foligno's number". Eh. Ehhh.....

I'll pick something else. My fav beer league number so far has been 94. It was totally random and I like it. My choices have been 23, 13, and 22 in the past. 

It's just weird. "Oh hey, there's that guy with Foligno's number". Eh. Ehhh.....

I'll pick something else. My fav beer league number so far has been 94. It was totally random and I like it. My choices have been 23, 13, and 22 in the past.

Shoot, since they went back to "Sabres colors" I've seen Schoeny, May, Spacek, and several others. It ain't weird, it's getting old. :p

oh-yeah-gif-obama.gif

Just basing it on Justin Bailey's story. He said he was sitting watching tv one day and received a text asking if he had a choice to switch numbers, would he do it or nah and if so, to what #? Bailey thought nothing of it and gave them a legit reply and said yeah, 95. And then said okay, we'll see what we can do and few days later they approved everything. Bailey said he wasn't sure why they decided to text him when they did but thinks the new regime wants it's players to have more personality and freedom.

So, it's possible Rip send that text message out, but anyone here will know that is a very unlikely scenario. haha

Just basing it on Justin Bailey's story. He said he was sitting watching tv one day and received a text asking if he had a choice to switch numbers, would he do it or nah and if so, to what #? Bailey thought nothing of it and gave them a legit reply and said yeah, 95. And then said okay, we'll see what we can do and few days later they approved everything. Bailey said he wasn't sure why they decided to text him when they did but thinks the new regime wants it's players to have more personality and freedom.

So, it's possible Rip send that text message out, but anyone here will know that is a very unlikely scenario. haha

I get not letting 4, 6, 9, 10, & 19 out to a guy who'll only get a cup of coffee in the show, but if he wants 13 or 26 what does it hurt?

I get not letting 4, 6, 9, 10, & 19 out to a guy who'll only get a cup of coffee in the show, but if he wants 13 or 26 what does it hurt?

lol yeah... it's that whole "gotta earn it" old school hockey mindset. I personally never liked it, and happy that someone knew to the organization felt it wasn't needed too.

Interesting....

Plus it is REEEEAAALY apples & oranges. There isn't a Penn, PA with which people would get confused with College Station.

Whereas that NYSU city location would naturally get confused w/ the largest city in the US that just happens to share the same name w/ the state.

There are MANY people around the country that think NYS is one large city & that Buffalo is a suburb of NYC. Though describing it as SUNY at Buffalo is technically correct, describing it as UB conveys where it is much better IMHO.

Anyone who's lived, or even traveled, a decent distance from NYS knows that's true, and it's one of the big reasons I don't want any "New York" nonsense on the Winter Classic sweater.

Anyone who's lived, or even traveled, a decent distance from NYS knows that's true, and it's one of the big reasons I don't want any "New York" nonsense on the Winter Classic sweater.

I've had a person grew up in the Hudson Valley ask me how far Buffalo was and was shocked at the answer. At least in PA I can say, "Buffalo's as far west as Pittsburgh but 3 hours north."

I am surprised/not surprised to hear that. I regularly get the people who think Vancouver Island is part of Vancouver. The Island is 300 miles long and a two-hour ferry ride from the city.

And then there are the people (Americans, always Americans) who find out I'm Canadian and wonder if I know so and so from Toronto.

Well, it is 2,500 miles away and has five million people.

Edited by dudacek

I just take a map of the northeast and add a circle centered on NYC with a radius just inside of Rochester.  Most people are surprised to see that the following are closer (as the crow flies) to NYC:

All of NJ, RI, CT, MA and DE, plus D.C.

Nearly all of MD (just that weird piece including Garrett and Allegany counties is not)

Much (technically, majority) of PA, VT and NH

Parts of ME, WV and VA

• 2 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.