UPDATED: Sabres sign 2 yr Deal w/Cody Franson

Brawndo

Franson is going to help our power play a lot. Hope we can hide him on the other end.

He and Weber on pair three will be exposed badly by speed.

Freeman, I'm not sure if it's me or Webster that is the biggest Pysyk fanboy, but I think you need to offer one of us a friendly Derrico-style avatar wager on him: if he finishes top four in average minutes among Sabre defencemen this season, I pick you summer avatar, if not you get to pick mine.

Glad to see the concerns over him insisting on (and possibly getting) 4 years were misplaced.

There's a Yahoo write-up on him that seemed to indicate that he's much less of a liability than most people think. I will look for a link.

Also, as to Pysyk, I'm not sure why his body of work to date would provide fans with anything but hope and cautious optimism.

Ah, here it is.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/what-we-learned--why-are-teams-waiting-on-cody-franson-195830601.html

It's a solid move, though its not one I'm drooling over.

You can never have too many NHL defensemen, and the Sabres finally have depth.

Franson won't be hard to spin come the spring. 

This pretty much sums it up. On a roster that is going to carry a good deal of youth it's good to add 400 NHL games of experience. 

Good signing. Short term, fair cash even. Will help on PP (as has been said many times) and should be able to play consistent 3rd pair minutes.

Top 6 looking like - Bogosian, Pysyk, Ristolainen, Gorges, Franson and Weber. Improved from last year.

I would hope either MC, or Pysk rounder out one of those bottom six with Franson. I think Weber is the 7th. Edited by DirtDart

Freeman, I'm not sure if it's me or Webster that is the biggest Pysyk fanboy, but I think you need to offer one of us a friendly Derrico-style avatar wager on him: if he finishes top four in average minutes among Sabre defencemen this season, I pick you summer avatar, if not you get to pick mine.

So you want summa dis?

It's an interesting idea.  However, I don't want to take a bet that will cause me to root against a Sabre.

I will say that he reminds me quite a bit of Chris Butler, whom Webster was also quite high on -- and who did not justify Webster's love.

Take that, Pysyk fanboys.

Franson is going to help our power play a lot. Hope we can hide him on the other end.

He and Weber on pair three will be exposed badly by speed.

Oh I like this idea a lot.

So you want summa dis?

It's an interesting idea.  However, I don't want to take a bet that will cause me to root against a Sabre.

I will say that he reminds me quite a bit of Chris Butler, whom Webster was also quite high on -- and who did not justify Webster's love.

Take that, Pysyk fanboys.

That's a fair response.

By the way I'm well on board the Pysyk train.  Pysyk looked like one of the teams best Dmen last year when called up.  I still think he was sent back down due to the tank.  But ofcourse a spin could be Murray wanting to give him a ton of minutes down in Roch.

Edited by Derrico

Good. We needed someone on the pp and we needed a additional vet that wasn't some washed up 8th defender.  Franson had his best offensive year last year. Should be fun to see how he plays against the Leafs, wonder if Gorges and him will joke about what might have been in Toronto.  Either way, out blueline is more solid today than it was.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.