Summer movies/TV 2015

nfreeman

Re-boots start from the begging. The first Hulk movie provided the origin, the 2nd Hulk movie continues with Banner already on the run and continues the same story line with Betty and Colonel Ross. 

Reboots are are complete do overs. Take the Batman movies, the Spiderman movies, and soon, the Fantastic Four movies, they have all been rebooted.

Oh I see what you're saying. I think they're generally considered completely separate movies. Incredible Hulk was made after Marvel re-aquired the rights to the character.

In the Incredible Hulk they do a quick cover of his origin in the first minute or so during the opening credits.

A reboot doesn't have to be a re-telling of the origin story. For example X-men:DoFP rebooted the X-men series. The new Spiderman coming out may not go back to his origin, but it is most definitely a reboot.

X-Men DOFP and X-Men: First Class are prequels. Under your example of Spiderman than the new Batman Vs. Superman movie is also a reboot.  

One movie I do has trouble defining is Superman Returns. For me it is a sequel because it follows the timeline, I can totally understand why it is considered a reboot. 

Edited by DeLuca1967

X-Men DOFP and X-Men: First Class are prequels. Under your example of Spiderman than the new Batman Vs. Superman movie is also a reboot.

First class is definitely a prequel, but DoFP was not. DoFP reset the timeline so that X2 and X3 never happened in the cinematic universe. That's not a prequel, that's a reboot.

BvS isn't a reboot either because Batman and Superman have never shared a cinematic universe. It's a brand new thing. It a semi-reboot in the sense that Batman is t the same one from the Dark Knight trilogy, but Superman is the same guy from Man of Steel, and like I said this is DC's first stab at a shared universe so nothing is starting over.

First class is definitely a prequel, but DoFP was not. DoFP reset the timeline so that X2 and X3 never happened in the cinematic universe. That's not a prequel, that's a reboot.

BvS isn't a reboot either because Batman and Superman have never shared a cinematic universe. It's a brand new thing. It a semi-reboot in the sense that Batman is t the same one from the Dark Knight trilogy, but Superman is the same guy from Man of Steel, and like I said this is DC's first stab at a shared universe so nothing is starting over.

reboot carries a conitation of a complete do over. Personally I have been using the term clean slate if something just starts over (spiderman vs amazing spiderman). Reboot or retool works for me in the case of xmen dofp

X-Men DOFP is an established X-Men story line. Time travel and altering of time lines is part of that story line and is consistent within the X-Men universe. Everything bad that happens in the beginning of DOFP happens after X-Men The Last Stand. Any changes caused by DOFP is consistent.

X-Men Apocalypse should be really interesting.  

apocalypse-mystique-sinister-to-contribu

I don't actually care which Xmen film takes place in which continuity, but First Class was far and away better than every other X-men film.  After I saw it, I immediately assumed they'd make a direct sequel.  Future Past was OK, but it confused the hell out of me that it wasn't much like First Class.

X-Men - First Class, Days of Future Past and Wolverine did a great job of laying down the origin story of the X-Men. The X-Men universe is almost as large as the rest of the Marvel Universe combined. There is so much content that they can make movies for the next 100 years. I was disappointed in the first three X-Men movies, I think they have made up for them with the more recent X-Men movies and Wolverine. I hope future movies include some of my favorites like Mr. Sinister, Stryfe and Cable.  

Went to go see Fantastic Four last night. Bitter sweet, loved the re-telling of the origin, hated the rest of the movie. 

The origin part was well written and really made a lot of sense, they did a great job of taking the characters and putting a modern take on how the Fantastic Four received their powers. Unfortunately they didn't spend much time on the rest of the story and completely wasted one of the iconic super-villains in Dr. Doom. They should have left Dr. Doom for the sequel. I'm not sure why they continue to force Dr. Doom into the origin story. There should be enough there to be a stand alone origin story.  My disappointment over the second half of the movie outweighs the job they did in the first half. It really seemed, IMO, that the writers could not come up with anything regarding story line beyond the origin and they just rehashed what was done in the first go around with the Fantastic Four. It reminded me of Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 where I thought he did a great job with the first half of the story and really disappointed in the second half.  

If you are planning to see this movie, I suggest the early morning showings at AMC which are less than $6. I wish I hadn't spent full price to see this. A movie with half a writing effort should only charge half price. 

Anyone who is into fantasy football should definitely watch The League. Completely outrageous, yet totally hilarious. If you only like "realistic" comedy it's probably not for you, but I think it's pretty awesome.

Not remotely realistic but the writing is hilarious, the cast is solid (starting w/ people that were unknowns/ relatively unknowns usually seems to result in shows w/ higher quality writing IMHO), great NFL cameos, and very good guests (Ray Liotta, Jeff Goldblum, Timothy Oliphant are just a few). 2nd funniest show currently on TV next to Sunny IMHO. Not as good overall as JCS, but it is funnier.

Anyone see the latest Mission Impossible movie? Enjoyed the first 4. 

I saw it today -- very good, IMHO.  I think if you liked the 1st 4 you'll definitely like this one.

Anyone who is into fantasy football should definitely watch The League. Completely outrageous, yet totally hilarious. If you only like "realistic" comedy it's probably not for you, but I think it's pretty awesome.

Not remotely realistic but the writing is hilarious, the cast is solid (starting w/ people that were unknowns/ relatively unknowns usually seems to result in shows w/ higher quality writing IMHO), great NFL cameos, and very good guests (Ray Liotta, Jeff Goldblum, Timothy Oliphant are just a few). 2nd funniest show currently on TV next to Sunny IMHO. Not as good overall as JCS, but it is funnier.

I saw 3-4 episodes and thought it was occasionally quite funny but often spotty.  I'll give it another try on your recommendation though, if you're really standing behind it.

How can you not like the first Captain America? I thought it nearly on par with the first Ironman. The latest Avengers was just...too much packed into one movie. I liked it, but it came off superficial compared to something like Cap 2, which is one of my favorites from Marvel.

Saw Inside Out, finally. I am a Pixar fan, and this had its moments, not unlike Wall-E, but it wasn't as clever as Wall-E, in my opinion, and no where close to their best. Pixar's best is The Incredibles.

FWIW, consider this a PSA: unless it's a movie I'm really excited about, for which I'll pay full price at the AMC, I wait until films make it to the Four Seasons in the Falls. The price is right, I dig the retro 70's vibe, and their popcorn is the best theater popcorn in the region.

I saw it today -- very good, IMHO.  I think if you liked the 1st 4 you'll definitely like this one.

I saw 3-4 episodes and thought it was occasionally quite funny but often spotty.  I'll give it another try on your recommendation though, if you're really standing behind it.

It is definitely juvenille and at times can be cringe-worthy, but overall it doesn't take itself too seriously and IMHO hits far more than it misses. Have just about all the episodes DVR'd.

Mr. Robot continues to be the best new show I've seen on a long time. Extremely original. Hidden away on USA, but whenever this comes out on streaming services online it'll be a huge hit.

So, I don't watch much TV, but is it true that there is this show called Mr. Robot, that's actually about people, and another show called Humans that's actually about robots?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.