Summer movies/TV 2015

nfreeman

How can you not like the first Captain America? I thought it nearly on par with the first Ironman. The latest Avengers was just...too much packed into one movie. I liked it, but it came off superficial compared to something like Cap 2, which is one of my favorites from Marvel.

Saw Inside Out, finally. I am a Pixar fan, and this had its moments, not unlike Wall-E, but it wasn't as clever as Wall-E, in my opinion, and no where close to their best. Pixar's best is The Incredibles.

FWIW, consider this a PSA: unless it's a movie I'm really excited about, for which I'll pay full price at the AMC, I wait until films make it to the Four Seasons in the Falls. The price is right, I dig the retro 70's vibe, and their popcorn is the best theater popcorn in the region.

Dunno about anyone else, but I didn't like the first Captain America movie as much because of the villain.  Why did they have to go cartoonish and make him look like a red alien?  Totally unnecessary and just silly, IMO.  Otherwise a good movie, and the second one was a rare case where the sequel was better than the original.

Dunno about anyone else, but I didn't like the first Captain America movie as much because of the villain.  Why did they have to go cartoonish and make him look like a red alien?  Totally unnecessary and just silly, IMO.  Otherwise a good movie, and the second one was a rare case where the sequel was better than the original.

Red Skull has always been the main villain for Captain America.  They're running with the source material there.

Red Skull has always been the main villain for Captain America.  They're running with the source material there.

Ahh, I did not know that.  Well then I guess I can understand them being true to the original story, but it still looked silly to me.  Other than that, I didn't mind the movie at all.  From a technical standpoint it was impressive how they made him look so scrawny at the beginning of the story.

He's all red because his skin is gone.

Totally realistic.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from seeing Straight Outta Compton.

..... Damn that ###### was dope!

That movie was terrible.  I can't believe I wasted two and a half hours of my life watching that masturbatory revision of the lives of a bunch of d-bags.  Dr. Dre is Jesus, and not at all a woman beater.  The music performance scenes were good, nice energy.  Elsewise, that was the perhaps the worst movie I've ever seen.

That movie was terrible. I can't believe I wasted two and a half hours of my life watching that masturbatory revision of the lives of a bunch of d-bags. Dr. Dre is Jesus, and not at all a woman beater. The music performance scenes were good, nice energy. Elsewise, that was the perhaps the worst movie I've ever seen.

Yeah, they erased all the bands sins. And yeah it was a moviefied version of their Behind the Music. But I enjoyed it very much.

That movie was terrible.  I can't believe I wasted two and a half hours of my life watching that masturbatory revision of the lives of a bunch of d-bags.  Dr. Dre is Jesus, and not at all a woman beater.  The music performance scenes were good, nice energy.  Elsewise, that was the perhaps the worst movie I've ever seen.

Yeah, I won't be going to see it either. If it were an honest portrayal of NWA then I'd think about it. But clearly it panders to the world as they see it. Wouldn't want to acknowledge ones mistakes would we? Nah, just sweep all the stuff that makes us look bad under the carpet. 

That movie was terrible. I can't believe I wasted two and a half hours of my life watching that masturbatory revision of the lives of a bunch of d-bags. Dr. Dre is Jesus, and not at all a woman beater. The music performance scenes were good, nice energy. Elsewise, that was the perhaps the worst movie I've ever seen.

These complaints make it a terrible documentary, not a terrible movie :p

Saw Inside Out and Ant Man recently. The whole family enjoyed both.

More of a tv guy, and I tend to watch series (they're like a really long movie!) from beginning to end. This summer it's been Treme. Would recommend and the whole series is on Amazon Prime.

We "cut the cord" in 2008 and haven't looked back.

Edited by EastsideOasis

It was from last summer, but I watched Dumb and Dumber To the other day. Why did they feel the need to make that movie?

I was excited about that movie when I saw the trailer. But then some time went by and I realize that hadn't seen Dumb and Dumber for so long that I was actually just excited about that. So I went home and popped in the original. So good.

Although I do still want to see hot tub time machine 2. Call it a guilty pleasure.

I was excited about that movie when I saw the trailer. But then some time went by and I realize that hadn't seen Dumb and Dumber for so long that I was actually just excited about that. So I went home and popped in the original. So good.

Although I do still want to see hot tub time machine 2. Call it a guilty pleasure.

Both fell into the same "wait until I can see it for free" category for me.  I didn't expect much from either, but I did expect a little more from Dumb and Dumber To.

No, you do not.

Anyone watching The Brink?  Fantastic spoof of international diplomacy.

Late to the party here since I don't have HBO, but my friends in MD do and I watched the last 4-5 episodes of this with them. What a great show! I can't believe how many big-name people are in it.

Haven't seen dumb and dumber 2 (or dumbest 1) yet but that scene in the trailer where he's reaching under the covers in that old ladies hospital bed was hilarious. And then he blows the dust in buddies face. Classic dumb humour.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watch Falling Skies? 5th and final season just wrapped up. Sci-Fi with an American Revolution feel. Executive produced by Spielberg. Would recommend for anyone into action/sci-fi.

It was good until the last season. Nothing special to me, but it had some well-executed story lines. I think the spikes were the best aspect of the show.

Some of those flaws for me were:

1) Did not enjoy the whole Lexi storyline. Glad when that was over.

2) The Masons were untouchable. You knew they wouldn't die, even Ann. My wife's and I joke phrase was "Superhero Tom". I also sympathized somewhat with Pope on that aspect.

3) The last episode was rushed and the last "battle" was eerily reminiscent of Frodo vs. Shelob in LOTR. I also thought the aliens popping like popcorn at the end was lame.

I thought the show in its entirety was good.  There were some flaws, but I can't think of any show I've watched that doesn't have some.  It was a sci-fi genre show afterall.

Anyone watching Narcos on netflix ? Watched the first episode and it was good. 2nd tonight and we'll see if its worth continuing. The story of Pablo Escobar and the Columbian cartels rise from smugglers of anything contraband to the #1 producer and distributer of cocaine in the world.

Also can't wait to see Black Mass with Johnny Depp. Looks fantastic.

Falling Skies was a decent show but it was a turd of a finale. The final battle was about as anti-climatic as it gets.

I agree with the point that most shows tend to screw up their finales though. The only ones I can think of that I actually liked were Six Feet Under and Breaking Bad. Even the Dexter finale was a bit of a let down.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.