Ted Black and Sabres "mutually part ways"

Weave

Drane always spoke highly of Black and claimed to communicate with him.

My hypothesis is Drane is not Drane. Rather he is Black's highly sophisticated anti-marketing construct designed to get the hardcore fan on board with Pegula's decisions and set the table for damage control for Pegula's failures.

Witness the success of his Bylsma lobby and his ability to deflect attention away from Pegula in the Penn State scandal.

Pegula was never completely comfortable with this strategy and drane's inability to avoid getting banned was the last straw.

I suspect one of our newer posters is Russ Brandon and will be monitoring this situation closely.

My hypothesis is Drane is not Drane. Rather he is Black's highly sophisticated anti-marketing construct designed to get the hardcore fan on board with Pegula's decisions and set the table for damage control for Pegula's failures.

Witness the success of his Bylsma lobby and his ability to deflect attention away from Pegula in the Penn State scandal.

Pegula was never completely comfortable with this strategy and drane's inability to avoid getting banned was the last straw.

I suspect one of our newer posters is Russ Brandon and will be monitoring this situation closely.

iTInSn!  I knew it!

If we get new jerseys I will immediately assume mjd1000 is Russ Brandon. He loves new threads.

I wonder if Brandon will see this as a priority. Lord knows we've been complaining about it for years already, they have to know we want the old sweaters back, right?

As an aside, this has to come with a pay raise for Brandon, no? Out of curiosity, does anyone know/can ball-park what his salary is? Could it be into the 7 digits?

Some of us love the Navy and just wish to see some metallic gold.

And this will not affect RJ's future at all.  RJ is in charge of his future, and that's that.

Edited by Eleven

Of course Drane is Ted Black.  I've been telling all who cared to listen since 2012.  You all said I wore tinfoil on my head.  Now, who's wearing the tinfoil, funnyman?

That is to say, I agree with you.

I emailed/texted with Black a couple of times.  He always seemed very committed to getting the fan experience right (from all angles) because he had an enormous amount of respect for how much the fans loved the team.  He'll probably be remembered for the jersey, not handling the Buffalo News jerks well in a presser, and the revenue sharing thing, but he should also be remembered for having a hand in the improvement in the broadcast quality (especially straightening out MSG's when the Sabres played in NYC/NYI/NJ) and broadcast personnel (moving out Danny Gare, bringing in Brian Duff, convincing Rick to stay, bringing in Dan, putting Kevin on the radio), having the owners/front office/players deliver season tickets, bringing in several world championship tournaments, bringing in the draft next year, securing the combine (and nailing it), and probably a whole list of other things, some we'll probably never know.  I think the Sabres have become a better franchise off the ice in recent years, and Teddy helped that.  He also never seemed above of doing anything he could do to help: I'm sure many of us saw him take tickets or hand out programs in the atrium before games, simply because they needed an extra hand or he wanted to learn the different jobs and experiences in the business or he wanted be with the fans and see what they saw.

It's easy to dump on the guy for high-visibility shortcomings, but he did a lot of good work.

I like Ted Black. And I pretty much don't like Lawyers. I also like Russ Brandon.

I want to thank Ted for his contributions for us and congratulate Russ for what is an unimaginable position he has attained.

I emailed/texted with Black a couple of times. He always seemed very committed to getting the fan experience right (from all angles) because he had an enormous amount of respect for how much the fans loved the team. He'll probably be remembered for the ###### jersey, not handling the Buffalo News jerks well in a presser, and the revenue sharing thing, but he should also be remembered for having a hand in the improvement in the broadcast quality (especially straightening out MSG's ###### when the Sabres played in NYC/NYI/NJ) and broadcast personnel (moving out Danny Gare, bringing in Brian Duff, convincing Rick to stay, bringing in Dan, putting Kevin on the radio), having the owners/front office/players deliver season tickets, bringing in several world championship tournaments, bringing in the draft next year, securing the combine (and nailing it), and probably a whole list of other things, some we'll probably never know. I think the Sabres have become a better franchise off the ice in recent years, and Teddy helped that. He also never seemed above of doing anything he could do to help: I'm sure many of us saw him take tickets or hand out programs in the atrium before games, simply because they needed an extra hand or he wanted to learn the different jobs and experiences in the business or he wanted be with the fans and see what they saw.

It's easy to dump on the guy for high-visibility shortcomings, but he did a lot of good work.

Good post.

Of course Drane is Ted Black.  I've been telling all who cared to listen since 2012.  You all said I wore tinfoil on my head.  Now, who's wearing the tinfoil, funnyman?

That is to say, I agree with you.

you do wear tinfoil hats! but you said it was because it brings out the color in your eyes

It looks like Terry Pegula came into the situation needing an Alternate Gov.

He was originally thinking that Ted Black was da Alternate Gov.  Dis guy good, he says.

Then he met this guy at da Bills, and he was like, wowee zowee, dis guy is da buziness!

He agrees wit everyting I say!  Everyting!!!

So he say to Black, why you not be more like Brandon?

And he pester, Brandon do this, why you do that?

And before the moment when Black explodes into the inevidible, "THEY ARE DIFFERENT SPORTS!," They reach a mutual agreement to part ways amicably.

"That's a great idea, Terry!"

Move aside Ted Black.  Russ Brandon can handle this. 

You have been indeed and it appears TP is one of those who thinks highly of him.  I do not.

Because he was a big part of the organization, and eventually ran it, during a terrible and lengthy period in Bills' history during which they made one awful decision after another -- and during which, I do not believe, that his responsibilities/influence were limited to marketing.

Terrible decisions on his watch, off the top of my head:

Toronto series

Gregg Williams

Mike Mularkey

Dick Jauron (including his contract extension)

Chan Gailey

Buddy Nix

Mike Williams

Aaron Maybin

Derrick Dockery

Robert Royal

Jason Peters

EJ Manuel

Trade for Watkins

Failure to bring in a decent QB

I say again:  yuck.

Dumbdon sucks.   The worse the Bills got, the more promotions that jerk got;  those were decisions made by an addled Ralph Wilson Jr,  a man who was firmly ensconced in senility and dotage at the time.  

Everybody in the world can love him and respect - I think he's the living embodiment of the Peter Principal,  oh, and the fact that a PT Barnum like huckster/bean counter like Dumbdon excels at shameless self-promotion and aggrandizement.  

I blame Battista for this

Batista+%252828%2529.jpg

I posted this before but it just seemed so weird, and I'm wondering if it isn't an insight to the guy...

On one of Ted's WGR segments they got onto a conversation about how Jeremy White would soon be doing pay-by-play for one of the local college hockey teams.  Ted congratulated him for becoming "the first woman play-by-play brodacaster" for whatever team it was. 

Aside from being not funny, it just seemed like such an inappropriate thing for the President of the Buffalo Sabres to say on the radio.  Not that horribly offensive...just weird and out of touch.  I doubt it had much to do with yesterday, but doesn't strike me as the kind of joke the Pegulas would find funny. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.