UFA & Trade - Dmen

IvanPutski

Campbell was arguably part of the core of the last SC-contending team the Sabres had.

Who was *the core* of that team? Drury, Briere are the easy ones. I think Dumont belongs there as well. Vanek? Lydman/Tallinder - almost like one guy. Can't omit Grier. And I'm just talking skaters, of course.

That was a damn good team.

Campbell was arguably part of the core of the last SC-contending team the Sabres had.

Who was *the core* of that team? Drury, Briere are the easy ones. I think Dumont belongs there as well. Vanek? Lydman/Tallinder - almost like one guy. Can't omit Grier. And I'm just talking skaters, of course.

Right. That was a good core. I'd put Kalinen in there too. 

IIRC, Dumont was there the first year, but was traded for cap reasons after Danny Briere got his fat arbitration award. I could have that all mixed up though.

IIRC, Dumont was there the first year, but was traded for cap reasons after Danny Briere got his fat arbitration award. I could have that all mixed up though.

that's right - no dumont in 2007. likely part of the reason the team couldn't push through that year.

Edited by That Aud Smell

OK, so now that Oduya has taken his talents to Dallas, where does that leave us?

Risto-Bogo

Gorges-Pysyk

Weber-??

Possibilities for #6 & #7:

Coliacovo (apparent front-runner)

McCabe (probably not yet ready for prime time)

Sanguinetti

Donovan

Eeeeeeeessssshhhh.

I know a bunch of us (including me) are hoping for a pre-training camp gift from heaven like the Islanders got last year, but that seems like a pretty long shot to me.

UFAs still available:

Ehrhoff -- I think GMTM is NFW on this one.

Visnovsky -- he's turning 39 but played top-4 minutes for the Islanders last year.

Zidlicky -- he's 38 but played over 21 min per game last year

Gonchar -- he's 41 and doesn't seem like a GMTM guy.

Franson -- turning 28 and has good size but also the stink of the Leafs on him.

I suppose I'd be satisfied with Visnovsky, Zidlicky or Franson -- or at least more satisfied with one of those guys than with no addition, which I don't think can be a real option.

Good write up. I think the bolded is key: I really think we need to add someone.

I think Franson can fit in reasonably well as the 4th D. He had 36 points last year, he will help drive offense from the back-end. He does leave something to be desired in his own end, but I think he's a good option. He's certainly an improvement over Weber or Colaiacovo, one of which he would knock down to #7.

I'd go with:

Ristolainen - Bogosian

Gorges - Franson

Colaiacovo - Pysyk

I really like Pysyk, and once he finds his groove I can see him moving up to the second pair on the right side, and Franson can move to the third pair.

I still love the idea of Brian Campbell for a homecoming... Mainly for sentimental value since he's on the decline.

I like this idea too, and for the same reasons. Although I think his veteran presence could definitely help out the young guys on D.

Lets put this into perspective.  Oduya, who most here believe is a.cornerstone top 4 had 2 goals and 8 assists and a +5 during the 2015 season excluding playoffs.  Is that such a high bar for Pysik, McCabe or a yet tbd asset buried on another team?  I trust GMTM to be able to find that wo mortgaging the farm. 

For the record, they didn't trade Dumont, they walked away from his arbitration award. Most believe they chose Kotalik over Dumont. I believe this was actually the beginning of the end.

For the record, they didn't trade Dumont, they walked away from his arbitration award. Most believe they chose Kotalik over Dumont. I believe this was actually the beginning of the end.

This is spot on. What a mistake that decision was. Dumont was very upset about this as well. He was part of the heart and soul of that '06 run.

Good write up. I think the bolded is key: I really think we need to add someone.

I think Franson can fit in reasonably well as the 4th D. He had 36 points last year, he will help drive offense from the back-end. He does leave something to be desired in his own end, but I think he's a good option. He's certainly an improvement over Weber or Colaiacovo, one of which he would knock down to #7.

I'd go with:

Ristolainen - Bogosian

Gorges - Franson

Colaiacovo - Pysyk

I really like Pysyk, and once he finds his groove I can see him moving up to the second pair on the right side, and Franson can move to the third pair.

I like this idea too, and for the same reasons. Although I think his veteran presence could definitely help out the young guys on D.

Allthough murray says he doesn't mind trying it out, i hardly believe he is looking for this.

Gorges - Risto

- Bogo

Colaiacovo - Pysyk

Weber

the best choice for the ? spot at this point for me is Erhoff, very unlikely but lets just run with McCabe then ffs.

Don't ###### want franson, smells like failure :D

I'd sign franson at 4 mill for 5 years, meaning he won't ever touch #1 - #2 spots in D, but on the right side we are set with risto - bogo - pysyk so no :p

Edited by Heimdall

With Pysyk saying he played LD last year, I think the best we can do with the current group is:

Pysyk Bogosian

Gorges Risto

Weber Donovan

Colaiacovo

Risto and Bogo get 24 minutes each

Gorges and Pysyk get 20

Donovan is the PP guy and gets 16 along with Weber

Colaiacovo fills in during the nicks and bruises and rough patches

McCabe comes up at some point and improves the unit.

It could be rough, but Risto, Pysyk and Bogo are going to have to carry the load when we are good.

Might as well get them started now.

Franson is a right handed D man k believe. Also he will be looking for a payday I imagine. Not necessarily in contract size but in length. A very weird free agency this year. Very slow. I guess because lots of contenders have cap issues and lots of free agents want to be on contenders or near contenders (Dallas)

Franson is a right handed D man k believe. Also he will be looking for a payday I imagine. Not necessarily in contract size but in length. A very weird free agency this year. Very slow. I guess because lots of contenders have cap issues and lots of free agents want to be on contenders or near contenders (Dallas)

The guy is slower or as slow as any Defensemen we got on our current roster, don't want him tbh.

At this point I really don't think it matters what Franson is looking for. If a team were inclined to approach his terms, I think they would have by now. I bet he signs a pretty short and cheap deal somewhere when all is said and done. He's not a world beater by any stretch, but I think his offensive abilities are something our current D corps lacks, so I think he could be useful to us in sheltered minutes with powerplay time. 

At this point I really don't think it matters what Franson is looking for. If a team were inclined to approach his terms, I think they would have by now. I bet he signs a pretty short and cheap deal somewhere when all is said and done. He's not a world beater by any stretch, but I think his offensive abilities are something our current D corps lacks, so I think he could be useful to us in sheltered minutes with powerplay time. 

So Georges could get sheltered time and PK minutes and Franson could get sheltered time and PP minutes.  Looks like we're going to see a ton of Risto, Bogo and hopefully Pysyk at ES.  Sounds like I'll be holding my breath whenever anyone else is on the ice but those 3.  Start praying Pysyk is as good as we've seen in +/- 70 games and Bogo stays healthy.....

I don't want to rush things at all but even if we sign Franson, McCabe will have a real look at this.

So Georges could get sheltered time and PK minutes and Franson could get sheltered time and PP minutes. Looks like we're going to see a ton of Risto, Bogo and hopefully Pysyk at ES. Sounds like I'll be holding my breath whenever anyone else is on the ice but those 3. Start praying Pysyk is as good as we've seen in +/- 70 games and Bogo stays healthy.....

I don't want to rush things at all but even if we sign Franson, McCabe will have a real look at this.

That's the exact setup I picture with a Franson signing. I also read that part of Franson's problem in Nashville was being asked to play the left side, so any signing needs to be predicated on high confidence Pysyk can play on his off side at the NHL level.

Anybody interested in acquiring Yandle? One year left on his deal at 2.625M(50% was retained by Arizona). 28 yr old LHD who doesn't miss time and is career Avg PPG is over .5.

The rangers are too tight to the cap to resign all of their RFA's and could look to move Yandle. Seems like a good fit if we can get him for a decent price. However the Rangers gave up some pretty significant assets to acquire him so he may cost more then I'd be comfortable spending.

I could see Murray talking to Winnipeg also, they have 10 defenseman under contract and I believe Josh Morrissey will make the team.

I'd be happy to see Murray get a guy like Enstrom. He's under contract for 3 years at an AAV of 5.75M which is quite a bit but nothing that would cripple us. He's exactly .5PPG in his career, with 2 50pt seasons. He rarely shoots the puck and mostly racks up assists. If he started shooting I could see him getting 50 pts for us.

The Flyers are likely looking to move a defenseman. They have several prospects who need room and currently have 8 guys on one way deals. Andrew MacDonald has 5 more years at 5M AAV and is a left hand shot, he's 28 years old. Mark Streit is 37 and has 2 years left at 5.25M, he's also a lefty. Neither are particularly nasty but they can move the puck.

No to both. Definitely not McDonald.

The Flyers are likely looking to move a defenseman. They have several prospects who need room and currently have 8 guys on one way deals. Andrew MacDonald has 5 more years at 5M AAV and is a left hand shot, he's 28 years old. Mark Streit is 37 and has 2 years left at 5.25M, he's also a lefty. Neither are particularly nasty but they can move the puck.

Sanheim, Provorov, or gtfo philly

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.