Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn traded to Sabres

LGR4GM

From my observation neither does GMTM.

Zadorovs play style is too risky/reward for predictable success imo. He can blow up the play and get on the highlight reel but he can also lose his man and cost a goal. That's too inconsistent for playoff hockey for me.

Good luck Zads

Good take

How long before he gets a bar in South Buffalo named after him?

How long before the Sabres get the luck o the Irish ?

Zadorov will probably be an all star defenseman in the next three years. But ROR will be too on a line with Eichel and kane. So what's the issue here? We're deep at defenseman, why not improve the top six? Might be late to this convo since I've been celebrating the moves but c'mon, this is awesome. 

Don't we need to resign him after this year? Does he want to be here? Are you comfortable trading Zadorov, Grigorenko, and Compher if ROR doesn't resign? 

So we need to get O'Reilly signed now right?

I'm assuming the O'Reilly deal was contingent upon an extension?

I predict he signs a new deal next week. No way they haven't had talks already. 

GO SABRES!!!

This was my biggest worry as well -- but I saw a tweet from someone solid to the effect that they've got terms pretty much worked out.

Playoffs? I'm thinking Sabres/Flames Finals. 

My man!

Murray trades 1st round draft picks like he is throwing out junk mail. He has now traded away 7 players/picks from the 1st round in addition to 3 second round picks from the top 5 of the second round. 

Ten premium picks he has traded away. The short term should definitely improve, but he has unloaded some top prospects as a result. And still Cody Hodgson is a Sabre!

I loved the idea of Brendan Lemieux and JT Compher playing together for the Sabres, but now it's history.

The premium-ness of premium picks only matters if they turn into premium players.  Has that happened yet with a single one of those 10?  No. 

How many of those 10 do you think will turn into premium players -- i.e. better than Kane and ROR?

But who did he bring in?  You can't say everything we traded without saying everything we got in return.

Also true.

The loss of Compher is bitter and it seems to be going unnoticed on this board.

Well, he's a 5-11 forward who had 12 goals in 34 games as a college sophomore.  He could turn into a good player but a Brian Flynn-like NHL career is probably a more likely outcome.

I can fully understand if people are not blown away with excitement over the trade.

I absolutely cannot fathom what mindset the people who are outright against it must be in.

It's the end of a way of life. Being a Buffalo fan has always meant being disappointed. Those days are over and some folks don't know how to relate.

They have 9 first and second round picks remaining from the last three drafts.

Since January Murray has over turned the roster.  Here is who he brought in:  Evander Kane, Zach Bogosian, Jason Kasdorf,

Chad Johnson, Jack Nevin,  Robin Lehner, David Legwand, Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn   3rd (2016 conditional), 5th (2016),  7th (2016), 2nd (2017).   

He traded away:  Tyler Myers, Drew Stafford, Joel Armia, Brendan Lemieux,  Brian Flynn, Michel Neuvirth, Torrey Mitchell, Chris Stewart, Nakita Zadorov, Mikhail Grigorenko, J.T. Compher, 1st (2015-21), 1st (2015-25), 2nd (2015-31)

I think he got value and rid the Sabres of Darcy's mistakes.  The parlayed guys he picked up in trades for better talent.  Sure he got rid of 3 premium picks and young talent but he got very good talent in return.  The rebuild will not be very long.  No Edmonton model of suffering a decade for a chance to make the playoffs.  Murray wants to make the playoffs ASAP.  

Good info here boys. 

Mission accomplished.
We traded a flawed core away for futures.
We have now cashed in the futures for a new core.
Now we watch and see how they develop.

It's about Kane and Eichel and O'Reilly and Reinhart.
Zadorov is the only guy we traded with huge upside.
The Comphers and Lemieuxs are periphery.

1st paragraph -- great synopsis.

2nd paragraph -- I agree, but would add Lehner, Risto and Bogo to the core 4 you mentioned.  I would also add Myers to the huge upside category.

These moves....brought to you by THE TANK!

I have to admit -- there is a lot of truth in this.

But the value given up could have been retained if the Sabres waited until FA. This rush to stock the big club roster has drained the assets without fully restocking the system. That still may happen via trades, I.e Gus or Samson, but we did not address right wing, opened another hole on d and are loaded at center. We will have to pay Kane in 2 years and Risto and Gus. ROR is a nice player but a luxury not a necessity. I am glad he is generating excitement for many here, but he really doesn't do much for me. The key will be Eichel.

The goalie options in FA are debatable but probably reasonably close to Lehner -- but remember that Lehner will also be inexpensive for up to 4 more years.  A good FA goalie would've cost a good chunk of cap space. 

There are no forwards like ROR in FA this year.  There are, however, a few good defensemen, and I expect GMTM to bring one in.

2015 had been the greatest year in Buffalo sports history. Viva El Pegual!

Yessir!!

This is the anti-Black Sunday.  I told my dad this morning that drafting Eichel will officially put an end to all the misery in the post-Drury and Briere era.

Now it's *REALLY* the reverse of Black Sunday.  Instead of losing two centerpieces (literally top 2 centers), we're adding two centerpieces (and centers).  Eight years later, we're back.

Yes, brother!  Testify!

Thoughts from McKee

@JayMcKee74: Sabres fans - the Zadorov / O'Reilly trade is another win by Murray. 30 G's and 40 A's might be RO's cap, but Z is a headache in the L-room.

Interesting.

Separately:  Today is a great day to be a Sabres fan -- maybe the best since the Sabres beat Philly in game 5 in 2011 to go up 3-2 with game 6 coming up in Buffalo.

I think the next 4 years will be a lot better than the last 4 years.

Good info here boys. 

2nd paragraph -- I agree, but would add Lehner, Risto and Bogo to the core 4 you mentioned.  I would also add Myers to the huge upside category.

The goalie options in FA are debatable but probably reasonably close to Lehner -- but remember that Lehner will also be inexpensive for up to 4 more years.  A good FA goalie would've cost a good chunk of cap space. 

There are no forwards like ROR in FA this year.  There are, however, a few good defensemen, and I expect GMTM to bring one in.

Yessir!!

Yes, brother!  Testify!

Interesting.

Separately:  Today is a great day to be a Sabres fan -- maybe the best since the Sabres beat Philly in game 5 in 2011 to go up 3-2 with game 6 coming up in Buffalo.

Thanks for this and I agree. Its a freakin great time to be a Sabres fan.

When GMTM first came in he said he wants big tough players who play hard and who other teams hate to play against. GMTM clearly wanted Kane and he went and got him. He clearly wanted Lehner as his goalie and he went and got him. He clearly wanted O'Reilly and went and got him. He clearly wanted McDavid and he did EVERYTHING he had to do to ensure the tank and went and got Eichel.

He got rid of all the guys who may turn out or who were soft or problems or streaky. We will find out whether he has the right eye for talent although that is what he is known for.

The guy has a plan and he carries it out. This has been fun.

When GMTM first came in he said he wants big tough players who play hard and who other teams hate to play against. GMTM clearly wanted Kane and he went and got him. He clearly wanted Lehner as his goalie and he went and got him. He clearly wanted O'Reilly and went and got him. He clearly wanted McDavid and he did EVERYTHING he had to do to ensure the tank and went and got Eichel.

He got rid of all the guys who may turn out or who were soft or problems or streaky. We will find out whether he has the right eye for talent although that is what he is known for.

The guy has a plan and he carries it out. This has been fun.

Agreed. Now what of Hodgson. He's soft and easy to play against.

The best thing about these trades is that it signals the rebuild is over!  There are a lot of risky moves here but we don't have to suffer through another couple years waiting for draft picks and prospects to develop.  The most overrated asset in hockey is a young player unless they are a slam dunk like Eichel.  I'd trade a prospect for a solid player any day.  Most of these guys don't develop into great players or even good players.  And it appears Murray is getting rid of any player whose effort is questionable like Zabs and Gringo.   

Now the question is how good of a talent evaluator is Murray?  ROR, Bogs, Kane and Lehner.  Those are the keys and those young players have to hit their potential or we will end up an average team like the Sabres of the last decade.

Edited by smj

Some people need to relax.  This isn't a horrible trade.  It's not a great one, either.  It's medium.

But it lets all of us sleep in a little bit tomorrow, right?

No. It's a good trade that becomes great the second he signs an extension. I will not allow you to rain on this parade!

We kept Zemgus, and got rid of two young players that were more issues than anything else. I'm happy with it, still would have rather had Saad though  :lol:

How's your screen doors doing TrueBlue? Or is every door now a screen door in your house after today? :flirt:

We kept Zemgus, and got rid of two young players that were more issues than anything else. I'm happy with it, still would have rather had Saad though  :lol:

How's your screen doors doing TrueBlue? Or is every door now a screen door in your house after today? :flirt:

Was at a friend's, so my place is unscathed. I may have racked up some home repair debt though...

Was at a friend's, so my place is unscathed. I may have racked up some home repair debt though...

Most of the people we watched it with weren't hockey fans and I looked like a pregnant Byslma when Eichel and O'Reilly were announced. Robviously's right, this is anti-Black Sunday. We need to name this day.

And TSN thinks we done good

Verdict: Even if the Avalanche gain financial flexibility and already signed Carl Soderberg to offset some of the anticipated loss of production, the Sabres have to be considered winners in this deal. They made a bold move to get a player who can be a part of their long-term improvement and none of the pieces that they sent to Colorado are likely to leave the Sabres feeling massive regret in the long run.

In free agency you may find a veteran guy (which they still might) who could be a stop gap guy for a year or 2 and be decent, but outside of trading for Lack, there aren't very many guys who are projected to be franchise goalies. Most guys available are either guys banking off of a really good season or part of a season (talbot and dubynick) or backups (enroth). Niemi might be the best of what's available and he isn't all that special.

There's still FA and Murray said they would like to find 2 guys so they could still be looking at getting a solid number #2 guy

Good info here boys. 

Yessir!!

Yes, brother!  Testify!

Interesting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.