Trade: Lehner and Legwand to Buffalo

Mustache of God

I think larsson been doing fine as a 3C, could score more but we can say that about a lot of guys on this team.

I like his game too, but recall GMTM publicly stating "peeps need to know their role" earlier in year and "maybe you're not a top 6" type stuff which seemed to be directed at him.  Get a guy like Legwand in the room, while at a different phase of career of course, it's a nice add to even things out.  "don't worry bro, I got 4th line covered and I'm good with it, 3rd is yours, do it."

• 1 year later...

Admittedly, there are way too many threads going right now and I've only just gotten out of work to begin reading. Also, I'm sure someone with much more knowledge than me has a more accurate tally. But here's what I've got....

Thomas Vanek was traded for:

• G Robin Lehner (starter)
  • C David Legwand (3rd/4th line)
  • LW Matt Moulson (2nd line)
  • C Cody McCormick (4th line, enforcer)
  • D Josh Gorges (2nd pairing, 3rd pairing in a couple years, Alternate captain)
  • C Eric Cornel – still in CHL
  • D Brycen Martin – still in CHL
  • F Jack Nevins (AHL enforcer)
  • NY Islanders’ 2015 2nd round pick (to be selected tomorrow morning)
  • Montreal Canadiens’ 2016 7th round pick
Let's not talk about four 1st-round picks from Edmonton, at least for a little while.

So basically whatever we get for Lehner.

I didn't post in this thread until the 16th page.

I have to say this- compared to HFBoards, SS has presented a much more balanced picture of this trade. Anyone who tried to discussed any upside there was vehemently shouted down. Taken by itself, this trade is a head scratcher, but looked at in total with the ROR trade it does represent a major upgrade for the team.

Also on HF, this trade is used as an example of why GMTM is a bad GM. I see it differently. He obviously has a vision for the team and is methodically assembling it. I'd much rather see a GM build his vision than "win trades." So maybe it's a terrible trade but it shows more vision than Darcy ever did.

....and I still got it wrong.

Was it given enough time? I still question the real question he was fired.

He wasn't fired because of the team vision. He was fired because of his terrible relationship building skills and probably his defense of Bylsma. Also that report he called Kim Pegula something unpleasant. 

You didn't though. GMTM had a vision for the team and he did execute it. The issue was the vision ended up sucking. 

I was wrong in that I was in favor of XGMTM building out his vision and didn't see it for the depthless quagmire it was.

Giggity giggity.

Yes, you went there.  Admit it.

Was it given enough time? I still question the real question he was fired.

Honestly I think it was lack of year-on-year improvement in terms of standings points.  I think TPeg set a required metric and it was not met.  Period.

Add in that his moves for a quick rebuild saddled the team with awful contracts. Going into the offseason, you knew Gorges was a 7th D at best. Moulson didn't belong in the nhl and bogo would give you 55 games max. That's 14M of the cap wasted and entirely by TM.

I'm just glad we got rid of him before he panicked and made a move like signing Okposo.

I have to eat some crow. The early response to the Lehner trade was very negative.

I'm actually surprised that my response was so negative. I don't recall hating the move that much but I suppose I did. 

Same, went back and looked at mine because I couldn't really remember. I was still in love with Murray at that point so I could have been spinning for him. Nope, did not want.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.