Trade: Lehner and Legwand to Buffalo

Mustache of God

Lack is also the better goaltender. Looking at what Murray has built on the forward ranks, Lack would have given the Sabres a better chance to do some serious winning. IMO, we will likely still be looking for a goaltender over the next few years. I have a feeling it is going to mirror what's going on with the Bills and their search for a QB. At this point Lehner is equivalent to Manual. 

Lack has had one decent season. It isnt night and day between them

Lack is also the better goaltender. Looking at what Murray has built on the forward ranks, Lack would have given the Sabres a better chance to do some serious winning. IMO, we will likely still be looking for a goaltender over the next few years. I have a feeling it is going to mirror what's going on with the Bills and their search for a QB. At this point Lehner is equivalent to Manual.

Perhaps the thought is a goalie like lack can be picked up at any point in any given year. But Lehner could possibly be a homerun. Perhaps the thought is a goalie like Lack can be picked up at any point in any given year. But Lehner could possibly be a homerun. to make a comparison maybe this is more like Jim Craig versus Steve Jansak?

Lack has had one decent season. It isnt night and day between them

Two decent seasons. His 2013-14 seasons is pretty close to the 2014-15 season. An example of consistency. 

Perhaps the thought is a goalie like lack can be picked up at any point in any given year. But Lehner could possibly be a homerun. Perhaps the thought is a goalie like Lack can be picked up at any point in any given year. But Lehner could possibly be a homerun. to make a comparison maybe this is more like Jim Craig versus Steve Jansak?

Hopefully Murray is dead on with this one. My concerns won't be quelled until Lehner is in the Blue & Gold winning some games.  

Two decent seasons. His 2013-14 seasons is pretty close to the 2014-15 season. An example of consistency. 

Hopefully Murray is dead on with this one. My concerns won't be quelled until Lehner is in the Blue & Gold winning some games.  

Look at Lehner's 2013/2014. Pretty similar to Lack's

I've never been big on spending a lot on a goaltender because I just don't think they are a huge commodity any more based on how much the position has leveled off over the years; Price and Lundqvist being outliers. But one thing to consider in Murray spending more to get a goaltender is that he has none. He was pressed to get one and didn't want to chance waiting it out. Benning and Sather had the benefit of waiting it out hoping for a better deal (didn't work) because they have starting goaltenders and had the benefit of playing the waiting game. Murray had to offer more to ensure getting it done. 

If Lack only garners a 3rd and a 7th, #21 is ridiculous. 

I think everyone else is still on a Eichel / ROR high.  The 21 was ridiculous, especially when they were forced to also take Legwand.

If the Sens were forced to throw in say a '16 2nd round pick then maybe it would be ok. 

I think everyone else is still on a Eichel / ROR high.  The 21 was ridiculous, especially when they were forced to also take Legwand.

If the Sens were forced to throw in say a '16 2nd round pick then maybe it would be ok. 

I've come around to actually kinda liking the Legwand add. You could do a lot worse for your 4th line center, he only has 1 year left on his contract, and it's another great vet to have in the room for the kids. It's not like we need the cap space this year, and McCormick is wholly unreliable at this point (apologies to Lil' Whiskey Bottle of Emotion).

Edit: Oh, and others' point about Lehner's contract status in comparison to Lack and Talbot isn't nothing.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

it was a huge over-payment no other way to look at it.

It was an overpayment. But it does depend how Lehner performs. He is still seen as a top prospect. The goalie market was hugely inflated when we bought in. It later collapsed.

We might have the goalie for our cup run. I would pay that time and time again over a one year 29 year old UFA

It seems like an overpayment for Lehner, but time will tell.  I think we're seeing that Murray zeroes in on "his guys" and doesn't particularly care what he spends to get them.  That we have so many picks and prospects makes it relatively easy to "overspend" for a particular player.

The more I think about Legwand, the more it makes sense.  We can easily take on his $3 mil. salary for the coming season and Leggy only has one year left on his current deal.  Leggy give some flexibility with regard to Samson.  If Samson isn't physically ready to slot into the #3 center role this season, Leggy can take that role and Samson can play in Rochester until he is ready.  Either way, veteran depth down the middle isn't a terrible thing to have while our two rookie centers learn the pro game.

I have to say this- compared to HFBoards, SS has presented a much more balanced picture of this trade. Anyone who tried to discussed any upside there was vehemently shouted down. Taken by itself, this trade is a head scratcher, but looked at in total with the ROR trade it does represent a major upgrade for the team.

Also on HF, this trade is used as an example of why GMTM is a bad GM. I see it differently. He obviously has a vision for the team and is methodically assembling it. I'd much rather see a GM build his vision than "win trades." So maybe it's a terrible trade but it shows more vision than Darcy ever did.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.