Trade: Lehner and Legwand to Buffalo

Mustache of God

This crap pisses me off, and what I didn't like about the Kings and Jets trades.  Just because you have a lot of picks, you don't have to hand them out like candy.

I agree. All these 1st and 2nds shouldn't be given away easily. If Murray keeps making trades and setting the market he is gonna get owned by other GM's

I'm hoping Murray doesn't choose Strome or Marner now at 2

This crap pisses me off, and what I didn't like about the Kings and Jets trades.  Just because you have a lot of picks, you don't have to hand them out like candy.  

GMTM gives away draft picks like Oprah gave away cars. 

You get a draft pick and you get a draft pick and you get a draft pick!

I'd take Anderson over Lehner for that much. 

Yuck, you're smoking more than I am at this point.  Pass that ######.  Anderson is 34, signed for 3 more years, and is great then terrible.  I'd take the 23 year old.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

That's only because you have a mancrush on Anderson :P

I'd agree Anderson is currently the better goalie, but he's also injury prone and old. Lehner, even if it doesn't work out, is a better fit for where the team is at.

Lehner is young, on his ELC and is an RFA in 2 years when his contract expires. If this trade works out, we have our goalie for when we contend. Big if though

Yeah I don't like the trade and taking emotions out of it what you're saying makes a lot of sense. There's a lot of the day still to come and GMTM has time to redeem himself.

Actually, redemption will come from what Lehner does on the ice.

If you go to the HF Sens boards, while the overriding sentiment is that they like the deal, there is a fair amount of pessimism about trading Lehner in the division and having it come back to haunt them.

That's what Ben Bishop did to them.

If you're ok with the 21st for Lehner...

If Samsonov really was their likely pick there, maybe Murray thinks Lehner is a better prospect.

He certainly will help the team more over the next five years.

Lehner is young, on his ELC and is an RFA in 2 years when his contract expires. If this trade works out, we have our goalie for when we contend. Big if though

Lehner was always the guy I wanted from the goalies who were available.

Edited by dudacek

This is a horrible, horrible move.  I don't care if Murray is a savant hockey scout, we have seen our share of dumb-ass, fool moves and this is one of them.

Pick 21 in a deep draft for a goalie, a goalie who is JUST coming off a severe concussion?  With all of the other assets, you mean to say there was no way to get this done otherwise?

You couldn't exercise patience, and instead act like a child holding a $100 bill in a toy store?

Bad, bad, I mean, beyond bad judgment here, and a lack of self-control, on Murray's part.  The goalie market is as much of a buyer's market as it has been; there was no reason to waste such a valuable asset like pick 21 on this.

Murray can dig himself out of this hole, but he's going to have to do some impressive conjuring to do so.

If Samsonov really was their likely pick there, maybe Murray thinks Lehner is a better prospect.

He certainly will help the team more in the next five years.

Same

Also Lehner is ready to be our goalie when we are ready to compete. A goalie drafted this year would likely be too young

Edited by ThirtyEight

He certainly will help the team more in the next five years.

I think that's probably the best way to look at it. If Samsonov really was their pick at #21, the question becomes would you rather have Samsonov or Lehner? I'll take Lehner

...and I still think both of those options are bad :(

How good does Lehner need to be to justify this trade? Name a goalie. Would a in his prime Miller be good enough?

Well, at 21 the prospect is a coin flip to make the NHL and the likely outcome if he does is a 3rd line player. So...league average starter?

Note that all the picks we have are courtesy of Regier.  Murray hasn't added any, he just gives away the stuff he predecessor built up for him.  

Horrible trade.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.