Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

This no apparent injury portion of how they discipline is one big fckn joke. Using your stick as a weapon should be automatic 20 games. This league will never, ever get it.

Every player in the league uses his stick as a weapon in one format or another. Gratuitous slashes and whacks are rampant in the league but most of them fall on places protected by equipment and are harmless but the difference between harmless and a penalty/suspendable is a matter of inches in most instances. If Kadri is 6 inches lower with his cross check he hits him on the back and the game goes on.

Last night Stafford took a high stick but the player hit him in the shoulder with just the very tip of the stick catching Stafford in the face. An inch lower and it's just a stick tap on the arm.

Every player in the league uses his stick as a weapon in one format or another. Gratuitous slashes and whacks are rampant in the league but most of them fall on places protected by equipment and are harmless but the difference between harmless and a penalty/suspendable is a matter of inches in most instances. If Kadri is 6 inches lower with his cross check he hits him on the back and the game goes on.

Last night Stafford took a high stick but the player hit him in the shoulder with just the very tip of the stick catching Stafford in the face. An inch lower and it's just a stick tap on the arm.

That's like saying drunk driving should be legal unless you kill/injure someone.

That's like saying drunk driving should be legal unless you kill/injure someone.

I don't think so, that's not a part of this conversation so kindly keep it out of it. I'm saying that every player on the ice uses their stick to whack at opponents and sometimes they "miss" resulting in a penalty. Doesn't mean every player should sit 20 games for it.

Kadri aimed straight for the head.  He wasn't trying to hit the nameplate.

Ok, I don't buy into the Vanek is lazy thing, but that was very funny.

I don't think so, that's not a part of this conversation so kindly keep it out of it. I'm saying that every player on the ice uses their stick to whack at opponents and sometimes they "miss" resulting in a penalty. Doesn't mean every player should sit 20 games for it.

Can we agree that there are WAY more obvious situations than others and Kadri/Keith's were two of them. It's pretty simple to identify if you ask me...

Can we agree that there are WAY more obvious situations than others and Kadri/Keith's were two of them. It's pretty simple to identify if you ask me...

I am ok with an "I know it when I see it" standard if that's where you're headed.

It's very obvious.

There are hockey plays, even normal penalties, that occur that result in an injury.

Then there are plays that have no hockey value that result in injury.

Sitting on your butt and swinging a stick at someone's head it not a hockey play.

Cross-checking a guy in the head is not a hockey play.

Let's not pretend they are that hard to tell apart.  You may get a few well disguised "intent to injure" situations, but the vast majority are quite clear.

Kadri is a dick, he had injurious intentions no doubt.

Yes, I agree this is the case.

It's very obvious.

There are hockey plays, even normal penalties, that occur that result in an injury.

Then there are plays that have no hockey value that result in injury.

Sitting on your butt and swinging a stick at someone's head it not a hockey play.

Cross-checking a guy in the head is not a hockey play.

Let's not pretend they are that hard to tell apart.  You may get a few well disguised "intent to injure" situations, but the vast majority are quite clear.

I think they both should have gotten at least 10 games.

Soupy playing in his 1,000th NHL game tonight, or was it last night?

helluva player, and a really nice career.

campbell was one of my favourite sabre skaters ever (as in, one my favourites to watch skate, if you follow). what a set of wheels on that guy.

also, here's to a career path that involves exhausting your junior eligibility (i'm pretty sure that was the case) and then spending the bulk of three seasons in the A.

Panarin has the most points by an NHL rookie since Malkin.

Here's the list of players ahead of him in scoring right now:

Patrick Kane

Jamie Benn

Sidney Crosby

Erik Karlsson

Joe Thornton

Johnny Gaudreau

Joe Pavelski

That's a short list, but not one short on superstars. Pretty impressive! Early in the year I had a lot of resentment for Panarin because I obviously wanted Jack to capture the Calder and believed (still do) that a 24 year old KHL veteran shouldn't compete with the 18-20 year olds that have never played professionally. After conceding that the NHL rules are what they are and realizing Panarin was pulling away, I've finally began appreciating and enjoying his play alongside Kaner.

Here's the list of players ahead of him in scoring right now:

Patrick Kane

Jamie Benn

Sidney Crosby

Erik Karlsson

Joe Thornton

Johnny Gaudreau

Joe Pavelski

That's a short list, but not one short on superstars. Pretty impressive! Early in the year I had a lot of resentment for Panarin because I obviously wanted Jack to capture the Calder and believed (still do) that a 24 year old KHL veteran shouldn't compete with the 18-20 year olds that have never played professionally. After conceding that the NHL rules are what they are and realizing Panarin was pulling away, I've finally began appreciating and enjoying his play alongside Kaner.

Gives me hope for Nelson as a late bloomer to make an impact in NHL. 

I think they both should have gotten at least 10 games.

I cannot disagree. That said I think Keith's actions were worse than Kadri's overall... maybe not by much.  However, Kadri should have been already suspended too.

TSN did a Panel on the calder race. Jack Eichel was not even mentioned. Sounds like 7th year pro Panarin will be the NHL rookie of the year.

http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-s-expert-panel-tackles-awards-questions-1.466001

Didn't check the link but my guess is Eichel will finish 4th or more likely 5th in the voting. (W/ friggin' 'worth more than 3 2nd rounders' finishing 4th :angry: TM should've added a third. :p Dog it! :censored:)

Didn't check the link but my guess is Eichel will finish 4th or more likely 5th in the voting. (W/ friggin' 'worth more than 3 2nd rounders' finishing 4th :angry: TM should've added a third. :P Dog it! :censored:)

Short version was he had panelists vote and Panarin, McDavid and Gothiesbere were the choices but Panelists could write in whoever they wanted. One panelist wrote in Larkin but Eichel was not even mentioned. General consensus was Panarin is eligible and has been the best "rookie".

Personally I think after this year they need to change the Rookie Rule to if you have played 4 years in a professional league or are over the age of 23 you can't be a calder nominee.