Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

2nd in points and goals at 19 with ###### lines and he doesn't get mentioned. What a ###### joke

No other way to slice it. I can understand arguments for Jack finishing 4th, but below Larkin would be people having a laugh.

On the Calder: The Calder Memorial Trophy is an annual award given "to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League (NHL)."

I would argue that Eichel was more proficient than McDavid in his first NHL season. McDavid was better in the games he played, in his personal sample size, but Eichel had a much more complete season. It's not an award for "best rookie", which if it was, McDavid should win. It's for first year proficiency, of which I think "first year" is key. The amount of games played matters.

Ghost is a closer call, but I give Eichel the edge over Ghost too, due to Ghost being 3 years older.

Pananrin is so statistically ahead, he should win. Jack not getting a nomination, with a 56 point rookie season, at 19, with who he played with for a large portion of the season, finishing 2nd in goals, 3rd in assists, and 2nd in points, and NOT getting a nomination, would be in my view a farce.

These discussions taking place on various sports outlets, with Eichel not garnering even a mention strikes me as completely odd and potentially rooted in some sort of bias, and grinds my gears.

Edited by Thorny

Per Kypreos

Hearing #Coyotes management shake -up coming as early as today in Arizona. Maloney expected to relieved of his duties.

Interesting. I thought they had a nice year and he's done some good work recently. The returns on Yandle and Vermette in particular were pretty good.

Interesting. I thought they had a nice year and he's done some good work recently. The returns on Yandle and Vermette in particular were pretty good.

Only thing I can figure is that ownership is willing to trade OEL for Matthews, but if that is the case why not wait until after the draft lottery?

Only thing I can figure is that ownership is willing to trade OEL for Matthews, but if that is the case why not wait until after the draft lottery?

Only 3 months until the drat and 1 month before the lottery, that's not too much time really. These teams/GMs start preparing for the draft long before now 

The way the media has handled Toronto's tank compared to the tanks of last year is an embarrassment to the journalism profession.

Probably could have done that as a Match Game round 1 Q.

The way the media has handled Toronto's _____ is an embarrassment to the journalism profession.

And just about anything you put in there, providing it's disparaging to the beat writers for fawning would be appropriate.

Can we please separate sportswriting from journalism?  Finally?

No. I grew up w/ Dick Johnston & then Jim Kelley. Sportswriters CAN be professional, talented, & informative. We need to hold them to that standard. Just not sure how to go about it.

I think they'll need to make some strong off season moves to bolster that roster.

They will but they, unfortunately, have some really nice young pieces. If they do land the Loaf fan dream summer they won't be world beaters, but will be in the discussion for playoffs. Hopefully they don't get a real goalie nor any additional D help for Gardiner & Reilly.