Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Imagine if the NHL draft happened at 19 instead of 18... well there is a group getting together this summer to discuss that and other things of interest to the NHL. The organizer of this meeting is Pat LaFontaine.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-making-the-nhls-development-model-better/

That’s an intriguing idea. But, from an NHL perspective, the newsiest item surrounds the draft. Current rules allow anyone who turns 18 by Sept. 15 of the draft year to be taken. But, there’s conversation about going to age 19 across the board.

What’s most interesting is that several sources believe this talk is serious, and, while it would be a mistake to say anything is imminent, many of the stakeholders would like to see it happen. Apparently, it’s been a topic of conversation at NCAA and CHL games in recent weeks.

From executives to agents to coaches, they’ve heard the rumours. One NHL goalie coach reached out to suggest that even if skaters are still allowed to be drafted before age 19, netminders shouldn’t be.

Imagine if the NHL draft happened at 19 instead of 18... well there is a group getting together this summer to discuss that and other things of interest to the NHL. The organizer of this meeting is Pat LaFontaine.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-making-the-nhls-development-model-better/

1.  I think it's fine the way it is.

2.  If they change it, look for a lot more kids to start out in college.  Then college will force them to declare or not at the end of their freshman or sophomore year.  Then it gets screwy for the kid.

3.  It would be hilarious if someone fired Pat about halfway through this project.

If anything it should go the other way.   Auston Matthews should've been in the NHL this season (which would've helped his cocaine addiction right?).

I get the why.  There is much more risk in drafting a player at 18 than 19.  They want to draft kids that are more developed so there is less risk in making the choice. 

I'm not so sure. NCAA players come out older than 18 and that's still a crab shoot. In fact, I would argue there is much less risk in the NHL draft, currently, than there is in the NCAA drafts, despite the age differences.

I'm not so sure. NCAA players come out older than 18 and that's still a crab shoot. In fact, I would argue there is much less risk in the NHL draft, currently, than there is in the NCAA drafts, despite the age differences.

???

NCAA kids get drafted by NHL teams at 18.  Are you thinking of FA's at the end of their college careers?  those are the leftovers.

And crab shoots are not like shooting chickens in a barrel, either. 

GO SABRES!!!

I dunno. NHL draft pick success rate is not high, especially once you leave the 1st half of rd 1. NFL mid round picks make it rather often.

Yep top 3 rounds are near locks to be NFL players. Everyone after the top 10 is just a roll of the dice in the NHL.

Yep top 3 rounds are near locks to be NFL players. Everyone after the top 10 is just a roll of the dice in the NHL.

Being part of a what? 64 man roster? Qualifying as an NFL player isn't hard. That'd be the same as qualifying every AHL player as an NHL player

Being part of a what? 64 man roster? Qualifying as an NFL player isn't hard. That'd be the same as qualifying every AHL player as an NHL player

I think once you get into the later second and third rounds on the NHL draft those picks aren't even that likely to stick in the AHL long-term.

Did I miss something ?

Oh, nothing.

Nothing, maybe, other than pi's somewhat bizarre level of hatred for (and casual character assassination of) the top prospect in the upcoming draft. It may be that pi's feelings toward the young man are based in fact. If they are, I'm unaware of those facts.

At least. I think it's pi who's posited the theories about how Matthews's choice to go play for money in Europe is indicative of a troubling character defect, etc.

It was so obvious Napoleon was stringing this out to 20 games no matter what happened, couldn't they have put it off one more day to make it 20 games officially?

I hope the NHLPA gets involved in this. move that I hope ends in a lawsuit. 

The NHL is slowly becoming as corrupt as the NFL.