Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

They turned the ASG into a circus, a joke of an event. Why should they care if Scott made it? You can't just disqualify certain players they don't want in the roster. The asked the fans what they wanted,  the fans responded. Many fans are pissed that he's taken hitting and fighting out of the league, whether or not that's why the fans voted for Scott I don't know. But the clearly wanted a goon there. Napoleon is stabbing the fans in the back, and he'll continue to do so as long as fans keep coming back. Sooner or later it'll be too late to turn it around. I know I'm not going to watch now. 

I'm not as pissed about not seeing John Scott, I'm pissed at watching Bettman ruin this sport. 

Anaheim absolutely taking Dallas to the woodshed. 4-0 with 4:23 left in the first. Lindy is doing that thing where his entire head turns beet red. Memories....

Edit: not firing Julien seems to have been a good choice. For all the wailing and gnashing of teeth earlier in the season, they're only three points out of a playoff spot right now.

Edited by Sabres79

John Scott was the only reason I was interested in the all-star game.

When I was kid (maybe it was because I was a kid) it file like they picked players on merit and the game was real.

I haven't paid attention to it for at least 20 years.

Edited by dudacek

I really think the ASG is for kids and corporate schmoozing. If you're not eight years old or employed in upper management at some large company spending a ton of money on NHL related marketing, and thus collecting your free booze and swag over the course of the weekend, I don't get the appeal.

The shittiest part is, Montreal will never call him up this season.  Think what you want of John Scott, he didn't deserve to see his NHL career end this way.  Super ###### move by league.

Agreed. The whole situation is an absolute farce and I feel bad for John Scott. It grinds my gears the more I think about how the whole situation was handled.

They turned the ASG into a circus, a joke of an event. Why should they care if Scott made it? You can't just disqualify certain players they don't want in the roster. The asked the fans what they wanted,  the fans responded. Many fans are pissed that he's taken hitting and fighting out of the league, whether or not that's why the fans voted for Scott I don't know. But the clearly wanted a goon there. Napoleon is stabbing the fans in the back, and he'll continue to do so as long as fans keep coming back. Sooner or later it'll be too late to turn it around. I know I'm not going to watch now. 

I'm not as pissed about not seeing John Scott, I'm pissed at watching Bettman ruin this sport. 

I pretty much agree about Bettman. He is closing in on being the longest serving commissioner in the history of professional sports. At this point he is taking the game where he wants it to go and pretty much ignoring the fans who I conjecture want a game that favors skill and scoring over interference and shot blocking.

The way I see it, going to 3-on-3 for overtime is a grand admission that the game is boring and nobody can score. Making the all-star game 3-on-3 is the same. It is no longer a game, but a glorified skills competition.

I really think the ASG is for kids and corporate schmoozing. If you're not eight years old or employed in upper management at some large company spending a ton of money on NHL related marketing, and thus collecting your free booze and swag over the course of the weekend, I don't get the appeal.

I agree that flying into town for the game is a waste of money.

I was offered my regular season ticket seats for the all-star game weekend at a jacked up price. Had to buy both Saturday (skills competition) and Sunday (ASG). I did so because I figured it was a once in a lifetime chance to attend an All-Star weekend. But, I really only want to see the skills competition on Saturday.

They have a whole bunch of NHL-related crap going on at the convention center across the street from Bridgestone Arena all weekend long. Cost is $15 for season ticket holders, $20 for everyone else. I'm curious, so I might check it out one of the days.

I think they should just get rid of the ASG, not only in hockey, but all sports.

The only one that has some merit (very little) is MLB.

The NHL is all about hitting and preventing goals at all costs, yet the ASG ends up something like 12 - 10.  The NBA is even worse.  No defence played in a defence first league and you get scores like 175 - 168.

What a joke.

I failed to mention that Pro Bowl thing on purpose.

Why do so many people get so worked up over the ASG? Yes it's not hockey (in the NHL sense). Yes it's stupid. Yes it means nothing, but that's what the value of it is. It's just for fun.

It is still okay for someone to have fun, isn't it?

I'll watch it. I always have. I've always enjoyed it, too.

Why do so many people get so worked up over the ASG? Yes it's not hockey (in the NHL sense). Yes it's stupid. Yes it means nothing, but that's what the value of it is. It's just for fun.

It is still okay for someone to have fun, isn't it?

I'll watch it. I always have. I've always enjoyed it, too.

Apparently not.

Count it! That’s eight more years for Anze Kopitar in a #LAKings uniform. OFFICIAL >> http://lakings.com/KopitarExtension 

CY3ThrzVAAAIfn_.png

Kopitar year by year: $14 mil, $13 mil, $12 mil, $11mil, $8mil, $8mil,$7mil,$7 mil. No move clause immediately and first 4 yrs.

Edited by Hoss

Travis Yost had a wonderful rant this morning over the hypocrisy of the league taking steps to overrule the fans on Scott because he's not good enough, while handing Pekka Rinne (he of .902 SV% this season) an "earned" spot.

I would have loved to have heard  that. 

It's a joke.  The NHL ASG is a joke.  They should have removed fan voting a long time ago (and never included it).  

The level to which they are stooping with John Scott is insane.  Frankly, he should sue them and claim a conspiracy. If there is evidence they asked him to decline and THEN when he doesn't they send him down?  Bring it... John Scott suing to be the Commish of the NHL.  :)

But really.. he was voted in and I do believe they get some money for that right?  So are they not depriving him of his ability earn money? 

Hmmm.. Hagelin to Pittsburgh for Perron and Clendening.  - http://www.tsn.ca/penguins-get-hagelin-in-three-player-trade-1.423977

Also quoted Bob Murray - ""There's more than just him that's probably out there available right now, let's leave it at that," Murray said. "We're looking at a whole bunch of things. We know he's there, but there's a few others out there, too, that haven't requested trades.""

So Anaheim trades Etem for Hagelin.  Etem is gone from NYR and now Hagelin is gone.  Perron never fit in Pittsburgh and he's gone from the trade last season to Pittsburgh.

The jockeying has begun.  Perron a UFA just freed Hagelin's $4M from Anaheim over the summer.  Picking up Clendening could potentially pave the way for them to move Fowler?

Apparently John Scott had made up some nice t-shirts thanking his teammates for their support that he was going to give them at the ASG

Personally, who cares who is playing in the ASG, its a meaningless game thats supposed to be fun for the fans, so what if Scott didn't "Earn the right" to play in it. Do you think half the players in the game feel "honored" to be chosen to play in it or are just happy they can now use it to bump up their pay in negotiations? Atleast you know that he knows he wasn't voted in because of his stats and was atleast going to have fun with the guys out there.

I think they need to take the ASG and the "winter classic" which had its lowest ratings ever this year, and merge them into the same event. One outdoor game each year that will be held in february as the NHL ASG. They can play around with the format, or add some incentives to it to get the players interest in it up, and take away the fans voting in the players (if thats such a worry that Scott might make it in the game). They could really make it interesting by having the teams vote in their representative, or have some independent group select the players based on stats or 'metrics'

Hmmm.. Hagelin to Pittsburgh for Perron and Clendening.  - http://www.tsn.ca/penguins-get-hagelin-in-three-player-trade-1.423977

Also quoted Bob Murray - ""There's more than just him that's probably out there available right now, let's leave it at that," Murray said. "We're looking at a whole bunch of things. We know he's there, but there's a few others out there, too, that haven't requested trades.""

So Anaheim trades Etem for Hagelin.  Etem is gone from NYR and now Hagelin is gone.  Perron never fit in Pittsburgh and he's gone from the trade last season to Pittsburgh.

The jockeying has begun.  Perron a UFA just freed Hagelin's $4M from Anaheim over the summer.  Picking up Clendening could potentially pave the way for them to move Fowler?

I think anaheim is the best fit for Drouin -  But it won't be for fowler though, I think Yzerman will ask for theodore.   That is a contract he can control longer.

If Drouin to the ducks don't make it, I think Ennis will come into play.

I think stamkos will ask for more than kopitar, and it will be hard to swollow for Yzerman coming from a detroit background.