Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

I play soccer and hockey.  Soccer is much more physically demanding.  Stop it with this nonsense.

Come off it QWK I can guarantee in the league you play in they don't dive like the professionals do. Its why I stopped watching the game. I never questioned anyones toughness. I called them  pusssies for the theatrics. And on a side note running a marathon is more physically demanding than hockey. 

Come off it QWK I can guarantee in the league you play in they don't dive like the professionals do. Its why I stopped watching the game. I never questioned anyones toughness. I called them  pusssies for the theatrics. And on a side note running a marathon is more physically demanding than hockey. 

I get the impression that the theatrics have more to do with the pace of the game- the clock doesn't stop for injuries and substitutions are permanent.  So if a player needs the trainer he has to howl like he's been shot to get the attention of the trainer, and possibly for a stoppage in play from the officials.  If there were free substitutions I don't think you'd see this kind of thing.

That whole thing of the clock continuing to run doesn't really have an analog in the major North American sports.  Either the clock stops for an injury or the game isn't timed, and timeout can be called by the teams.

Its pathetic that this games athletes are acting like the pusssies that play soccer. Disgusting. This used to be a mans game. 

Ugh.

I play soccer and hockey.  Soccer is much more physically demanding.  Stop it with this nonsense.

Can confirm.

I'll third that, notwithstanding buno's clarification on what he's decrying.

I agree that the theatrics are a regrettable part of futbol. But ... I will tell you: I've had passionate, intelligent fans from Europe (Danes and Dutch) as well as South America (Uruguayans) try to explain to me that the theatrics are a part of the game -- maybe not a part of which everyone is always equally proud, but a part nonetheless.

In some twisted way, maybe not unlike fighting in the NHL? 

I get the impression that the theatrics have more to do with the pace of the game- the clock doesn't stop for injuries and substitutions are permanent.  So if a player needs the trainer he has to howl like he's been shot to get the attention of the trainer, and possibly for a stoppage in play from the officials.  If there were free substitutions I don't think you'd see this kind of thing.

That whole thing of the clock continuing to run doesn't really have an analog in the major North American sports.  Either the clock stops for an injury or the game isn't timed, and timeout can be called by the teams.

Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard this stated before. It's a good theory for explaining some of the embellishment that goes on.

Of course, a good amount of it is purely for gaining a tactical advantage.

Come off it QWK I can guarantee in the league you play in they don't dive like the professionals do. Its why I stopped watching the game. I never questioned anyones toughness. I called them pusssies for the theatrics. And on a side note running a marathon is more physically demanding than hockey.

Ok... but there's no stigma attatched to marathon running. It's the ignorant stuff I had to hear in middle school. When you call hockey a man's game and call "soccer players" pussies you're implying something about soccer.

Honestly I saw a guy flick another players ear with his finger from behind and you'd swear he was shot. I'll take the language I used to describe the players that perpetrate the theatrics out of the discussion. Sorry to the people that love the game. I realize its part of the culture much like fighting in hockey but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow. My personal opinion. Take it for what its worth. Embellishing as a strategy is bad in any sport. I used to play the game. There was never any of that at our level which wasn't very high I'll grant you but nonetheless it never happened. I have a friend who broke his femur during a game. It sounded like a shot from a gun at the other end of the pitch and he practically walked to the bench. We were highschool kids. I honestly don't remember it happening professionally back then like it does now. The best leagues in the world do it and accept it. Still doesn't make it right.

Ok... but there's no stigma attatched to marathon running. It's the ignorant stuff I had to hear in middle school. When you call hockey a man's game and call "soccer players" pussies you're implying something about soccer.

My quote may not have been worded very well but when I said this used to be a mans game I was talking about hockey. 

Ugh.

I'll third that, notwithstanding buno's clarification on what he's decrying.

I agree that the theatrics are a regrettable part of futbol. But ... I will tell you: I've had passionate, intelligent fans from Europe (Danes and Dutch) as well as South America (Uruguayans) try to explain to me that the theatrics are a part of the game -- maybe not a part of which everyone is always equally proud, but a part nonetheless.

In some twisted way, maybe not unlike fighting in the NHL? 

Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard this stated before. It's a good theory for explaining some of the embellishment that goes on.

Of course, a good amount of it is purely for gaining a tactical advantage.

I disagree about soccer.  This is one source that agrees.  http://examinedexistence.com/which-sport-requires-the-most-athleticism/ 

I hate embellishment in pro soccer too (that's why US women's soccer is so awesome). But the diving occurs at that level because refs don't penalize it, so more players do it. It has nothing to do with a lack of manliness.

I regret I used that language to try and get my point across. It obviously didn't help the discussion. My bad. In hindsight I would choose my words with more thought.

I get the impression that the theatrics have more to do with the pace of the game- the clock doesn't stop for injuries and substitutions are permanent.  So if a player needs the trainer he has to howl like he's been shot to get the attention of the trainer, and possibly for a stoppage in play from the officials.  If there were free substitutions I don't think you'd see this kind of thing.That whole thing of the clock continuing to run doesn't really have an analog in the major North American sports.  Either the clock stops for an injury or the game isn't timed, and timeout can be called by the teams.

We'll have to disagree there. By far the primary reason these guys act like they've been shot is a player taking a red card or a 2nd yellow forces the other team to play a man down the rest of the way. The more dangerous / flagrant the tackle, the more likely the card comes out.

If a player is injured or cramping up, he can take a knee w/out the theatrics and the ref will stop play when there is no advantage. He doesn't have to act like he's been shot to get the stoppage.

As somebody else mentioned above, there is no enforced penalty for the dive / theatrics. Essentially, the only tangible downside is if the ref decides to let them play on, the flopper's team will be down a man for a few seconds; or if the ref does provide an injury stoppage, the flopper's team will be down a man for ~1 minute while he waits for the 'magic spray' to make his boo-boo severed limb all better and waits for permission from the ref to reenter the pitch.

Extremely high potential reward for the flop; minimal downside. That's the main reason why the men flop.

And IMHO the biggest reason very few women flop around is they are still trying to grow the audience for their sport and it seems most of the players are trying to show they're as tough/ tougher than the men. As the women's game grows in popularity, we'll know when they've 'made it.' It won't be when they get real grass pitches, it'll be when flopping becomes common and the ladies aren't concerned about being considered ####### or worse.

We'll have to disagree there. By far the primary reason these guys act like they've been shot is a player taking a red card or a 2nd yellow forces the other team to play a man down the rest of the way. The more dangerous / flagrant the tackle, the more likely the card comes out.

If a player is injured or cramping up, he can take a knee w/out the theatrics and the ref will stop play when there is no advantage. He doesn't have to act like he's been shot to get the stoppage.

As somebody else mentioned above, there is no enforced penalty for the dive / theatrics. Essentially, the only tangible downside is if the ref decides to let them play on, the flopper's team will be down a man for a few seconds; or if the ref does provide an injury stoppage, the flopper's team will be down a man for ~1 minute while he waits for the 'magic spray' to make his boo-boo severed limb all better and waits for permission from the ref to reenter the pitch.

Extremely high potential reward for the flop; minimal downside. That's the main reason why the men flop.

And IMHO the biggest reason very few women flop around is they are still trying to grow the audience for their sport and it seems most of the players are trying to show they're as tough/ tougher than the men. As the women's game grows in popularity, we'll know when they've 'made it.' It won't be when they get real grass pitches, it'll be when flopping becomes common and the ladies aren't concerned about being considered ####### or worse.

I can't argue with anything you said... I guess toss the red card thing in with the non-stopping clock and you really do get something that is not reflected in North American sports.  About the only sport where another player is routinely removed for fouls is basketball but it takes a lot more (or in football and hockey, for prescribed serious infractions).  In baseball about all you get ejected for is arguing with an umpire.

I can't argue with anything you said... I guess toss the red card thing in with the non-stopping clock and you really do get something that is not reflected in North American sports.  About the only sport where another player is routinely removed for fouls is basketball but it takes a lot more (or in football and hockey, for prescribed serious infractions).  In baseball about all you get ejected for is arguing with an umpire.

And when a player fouls out in hoops, he can be & is replaced. Typically by a lesser skilled player, but his team doesn't go the last few minutes down a man.

Wouldn't that be something if it did though. Late game strategy could be totally changed from intentionally fouling the opponent as often as possible when down to try to make up a point or 2 per trip down the court, to trying to out-dive the other team to get rid of some of the opponent's players. :lol:

And not sure how much the running clock figures in, if at all. When guys are hurt the clock does stop, only the head ref knows for how long until the end of that half, but it does stop and provided a sub doesn't come in for him, the injured player can retake the field w/ ref's permission.

And not sure that fatigue is a factor of 'wanting a breather.' By the time these guys are pro they are incredibly conditioned and are very used to going a full 45.

As the women's game grows in popularity, we'll know when they've 'made it.' It won't be when they get real grass pitches, it'll be when flopping becomes common 

Tough, but fair.

Hadn't I heard that supplemental penalties were being handed out by top flight leagues for embellishment? If so, Shannaban videos would be AWESOME for that sort of thing.

Tough, but fair.

Hadn't I heard that supplemental penalties were being handed out by top flight leagues for embellishment? If so, Shannaban videos would be AWESOME for that sort of thing.

In the first instance, "simulation," which is the FIFA rule book name for diving, is a cautionable (yellow card) offense. The problem is that refereeing, even at the highest level, is almost uniformly awful, and very few have the stones to cal, it. At best you get a dismissive "get up" motion and it goes on from there. In the instances where they do pull up the play and show the card, everyone goes bananas and it's dissected ad naseum by the press. Reinforcing that it's just not worth a ref's time to do anything about it.

There are also retrospective punishments for diving possible, but it depends on the referee's report. It the ref says he saw an incident and believes he handled it appropriately, then it's over. He has to say that upon watching it again he'd have handled it differently for there to be action after the fact.

Not a perfect system by a long shot. No equivalent to the shanaban, unfortunately...

Anders Lindback, Max Domi and the Arizona Coyotes knock off the Ducks in OT.  Lindback stood on his head at times holding off the Ducks.  Domi had two goals in the second period.  The game winner happened when Mikkel Boedker jumped a drop pass between two Ducks and got a clean breakaway from his own blue line in.

Edited by The Big Johnson