Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Looking at his possession numbers Eberle is actually better than I expected. His linemates also benefit quick a bit when playing with him. I would love to pick him up, but I don't know that Pysyk or Bogo as a centerpiece would be enough.

When I try to find a better wingman for Jack than Eberle I get nothing.

Not enamoured by his all-around game, his contract, or his personality, but the on-ice fit is perfect.

Is Eberle known to have attitude problems? Also, $6 mill per for three more years is a pretty good deal, IMO.

When I try to find a better wingman for Jack than Eberle I get nothing.

Not enamoured by his all-around game, his contract, or his personality, but the on-ice fit is perfect.

I still think Jack is best served by a set of defensively strong wings who can do some dirty work in the offensive end. I think Eberle could work, but I don't agree that it's the perfect fit.

I still think Jack is best served by a set of defensively strong wings who can do some dirty work in the offensive end. I think Eberle could work, but I don't agree that it's the perfect fit.

I think he's a great fit. I don't think his defensive game is as bad as advertised, either (his shot suppression is that of a high-end third liner). I think Eberle and a defensively-sound winger on the other side would be an awesome combo.

I think he's a great fit. I don't think his defensive game is as bad as advertised, either (his shot suppression is that of a high-end third liner). I think Eberle and a defensively-sound winger on the other side would be an awesome combo.

Don't get me wrong, I think it'd work. I just don't think it's as perfect as Dudacek does. As long as Bylsma could get the right matchups, it'd be just fiiiiiiiine. 

The only other possibility that doesn't involve gross incompetence or outright bald-faced lying on at least one party's part would be GMTM doing a Bill Clinton-esque parsing of verb tenses when he says "We don't have anybody on an NMC.... [Now]". I find this unlikely given the context in which he has appeared to say this.

Yep, good call, that scenario would be possible as well. Though as you say, it doesn't seem to fit the context. (& I'd really expect TM to have said in that case (to effect) 'nobody has an NMC currently but there's 1 (or x) that kick in down the road.')

So you want Girgensons and Larsson on his wings? :Lol:

This is where I am. Girgensons would be my top choice on the other side for the grit and checking. Plus he's fast enough.

What I like about Eberle is the right-handed shot, the fact he doesn't need to carry the puck, but can move it when he needs to and his slipperiness, patience, hockey sense and finishing ability in the o-zone. He will get to where Jack needs him to be, do what he needs to do when the puck gets to his stick and get out of the way the rest of the time.

Who do you guys like as an obtainable target (or existing Sabre) to be Jack's wingman?

Is Eberle known to have attitude problems? Also, $6 mill per for three more years is a pretty good deal, IMO.

The deal is good if he is scoring 35, not so much 25 given the fact he doesn't bring much other than offence.

Don't think he's uncoachable, just jaded and not exactly Mr positive. A trade would rejuvenate him, I think

The deal is good if he is scoring 35, not so much 25 given the fact he doesn't bring much other than offence.

Don't think he's uncoachable, just jaded and not exactly Mr positive. A trade would rejuvenate him, I think

I give Eberle a ton of credit for putting up 25 goals in 60-some games this year after the start he had. He had the injury and so many people were down on him and he's been a bit of a forgotten man out there after the continued addition of elite forward talent.

I think I'd rather be paying Eberle $6 million than Stamkos $10+ million. This is the guy I want on Eichel's wing. I want Eich's other wing to be homegrown.

I thought the Eberle for Girgs and Pysyk idea was worth building around

Eberle for Bogo plus something small has merit value wise, but it doesn't float my boat as much because of the hole it leaves on D.

I'd look at McCabe and 8 if they sweetened the pot, really guts us on LD

Risto is a non-starter in my world.

Hard to say what Eberle's value is around the league. Bet you some GMs like him a lot, others not at all.

I think he wears some Oiler stink, or they probably would have traded him earlier.

Edited by dudacek

Someone proposed this on the hfboards.....

Pysyk for Pearson (LAK) 

What do you guys think, it was met with support from both sides.

I would be pretty happy with this, actually. I think Pearson would be a sneaky good fit next to Jack and Sam. I think he's got the speed to keep up, and the scouting report is quite kind to him: "Oozes hockey sense, in particular in the offensive zone. Is a good goal-scorer and shoots the puck with aplomb. Can also play responsibly in his own end, when needed.

He's not the physical presence, stand-up-for-Jack-and-Sam type LW some envision. But I honestly think this would be an under the radar pickup if LA were actually looking to move him for D help. I haven't heard it elsewhere that they'd be willing to, but they do have a bunch of big contracts on the books. Toffoli is an RFA at the end of 16-17, and Pearson could be a casualty of that contract. I'd gladly part with Pysyk to acquire him if LA doesn't think they can retain him and want some return.

But what would you pay for Eberle? Risto? McCabe plus #8?

I wouldn't trade Rasmus Ristolainen for anything short of a deal involving Connor McDavid. Jack Eichel is a big boy, he can score on his own or with Reinhart. I also would not trade Jake McCabe plus #8.  Why? Because the Buffalo Sabres don't need to find Jack's winger right now immediately. This has become an odd obsession around here. Jack scored 24g and 56points as a 19yr old NHL rookie on a team that had a new coach and 4 new forwards in the top 6 alone. I don't need to gut my defense to add a winger to a guy who frankly could probably do just as much with Zemgus on his wing as opposed to Eberle with a gutted defense core. We have 1 serviceable LHD after this season on the roster in Jake McCabe, trading him for a winger when our pipeline is so glutted with wingers one of them is bound to work seems short sighted.  I love Eberle and if I could trade Pysyk and something for him I would.  I might even trade #8 for him, but Ramus is a non starter and McCabe being in there would mean I want Edmonton to overpay me because after McCabe goes I have 3 holes to fill on the left within the next year and at best 1 guy in the pipeline who might do that (Guhle). We should not trade from a position of weakness because we have built up this idea that Jack Eichel needs a winger. Jack is a good enough hockey player he can play with anyone competent. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Why would you want defensive players with a top offensive Center......Good thing Punch put Martin and Robert with Perreault and not Lorentz and Ramsay.....

4 more days until Hockey Christmas.  I'm so pumped.  I don't care if we don't move and end up with the best of Nylander, Chychrun, Juolevi, or Sergachev.  At this point, I'm pumped for what happens after.  I do think the Sabres will make a trade, even if it is seen as a minor upgrade.  

Why would you want defensive players with a top offensive Center......Good thing Punch put Martin and Robert with Perreault and not Lorentz and Ramsay.....

1) It's not 1975. Hockey is a wee bit different.

2) Good defensive and good offense are not mutually exclusive concepts. I'm not advocating sticking him with Larsson.

3) He's horrible defensively. Putting him with sound defensive players will help get him out of the Dzone and into attack mode, as opposed to getting pinned in his own end for long stretches like he was as a rookie.

So you want Girgensons and Larsson on his wings? :Lol:

Girgensons yes. Larsson I don't want to see on the wing or in the top-6 ever again :lol:

1) It's not 1975. Hockey is a wee bit different.

2) Good defensive and good offense are not mutually exclusive concepts. I'm not advocating sticking him with Larsson.

3) He's horrible defensively. Putting him with sound defensive players will help get him out of the Dzone and into attack mode, as opposed to getting pinned in his own end for long stretches like he was as a rookie.

Girgensons yes. Larsson I don't want to see on the wing or in the top-6 ever again :lol:

I agree with Larsson, he belongs in the middle on our third line.  He's a staple for that line, whether he plays with Foligno, Gionta, Bailey, Baptiste, Carrier or an addition, that's where he belongs.  I think you can always put a defensive minded forward on a line with an ultra worldly offensive minded player.  Though Jack isn't someone who will not defend himself.  

This is where I am. Girgensons would be my top choice on the other side for the grit and checking. Plus he's fast enough.

What I like about Eberle is the right-handed shot, the fact he doesn't need to carry the puck, but can move it when he needs to and his slipperiness, patience, hockey sense and finishing ability in the o-zone. He will get to where Jack needs him to be, do what he needs to do when the puck gets to his stick and get out of the way the rest of the time.

Who do you guys like as an obtainable target (or existing Sabre) to be Jack's wingman?

I'm not in a super big hurry to do so if it costs major assets. So long as Bylsma is coach I think Reinhart works perfectly fine there.

That said, someone in the mold of Backes/Eriksson would be lovely, though of course I'd prefer younger than them. Okposo works, though I worry about term.

You're up in Vancouver, is Vrbata toast? 30 goals and 60 points last year, but injured and pretty down numbers this season. I know seemingly everyone wants a long term mate for Jack yesterday, but I think a stopgap should be relatively attractive. Get him help now, give time for Bailey/Fasching/#8 to develop, and no long term cap liability (see: potential albatross). Also has the advantage of being cheaper now, allowing us dollars to do other things. Do that and see where things are in two years. Maybe we've developed the answer internally, or a better answer than what is currently available has become acquirable.

I wouldn't trade Rasmus Ristolainen for anything short of a deal involving Connor McDavid. Jack Eichel is a big boy, he can score on his own or with Reinhart. I also would not trade Jake McCabe plus #8.  Why? Because the Buffalo Sabres don't need to find Jack's winger right now immediately. This has become an odd obsession around here. Jack scored 24g and 56points as a 19yr old NHL rookie on a team that had a new coach and 4 new forwards in the top 6 alone. I don't need to gut my defense to add a winger to a guy who frankly could probably do just as much with Zemgus on his wing as opposed to Eberle with a gutted defense core. We have 1 serviceable LHD after this season on the roster in Jake McCabe, trading him for a winger when our pipeline is so glutted with wingers one of them is bound to work seems short sighted.  I love Eberle and if I could trade Pysyk and something for him I would.  I might even trade #8 for him, but Rasmus is a non starter and McCabe being in there would mean I want Edmonton to overpay me because after McCabe goes I have 3 holes to fill on the left within the next year and at best 1 guy in the pipeline who might do that (Guhle). We should not trade from a position of weakness because we have built up this idea that Jack Eichel needs a winger. Jack is a good enough hockey player he can play with anyone competent. 

Exactly, Eberle is not worth #8, I don't know where that would even come into play.  I wouldn't give up more than #38 and parts.  He is a fine skater and he scores goals, but at the same time, I would rather wait and look at Vesey, and other pieces.  There are few players in the league that I would even consider letting Rasmus go for.  *There are scenarios but completely unlikely gambits.  

I'm not in a super big hurry to do so if it costs major assets. So long as Bylsma is coach I think Reinhart works perfectly fine there.

That said, someone in the mold of Backes/Eriksson would be lovely, though of course I'd prefer younger than them. Okposo works, though I worry about term.

You're up in Vancouver, is Vrbata toast? 30 goals and 60 points last year, but injured and pretty down numbers this season. I know seemingly everyone wants a long term mate for Jack yesterday, but I think a stopgap should be relatively attractive. Get him help now, give time for Bailey/Fasching/#8 to develop, and no long term cap liability (see: potential albatross). Also has the advantage of being cheaper now, allowing us dollars to do other things. Do that and see where things are in two years. Maybe we've developed the answer internally, or a better answer than what is currently available has become acquirable.

Vrbata was lost playing with anyone from Henrik Sedin, Bo Horvat, McCann and so on last season.  He couldn't gel and to be honest he's a guy like Kessel where he demands the puck on his stick to create.  He's not a seamless goal scorer.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

Vrbata is also starting to turn - like, check the best before date.

One-year deal to do what Moulson is supposed to do would be all I'm up for after all other avenues are exhausted.

He goes back to the desert for one last hoorah before setting off to stink like expired deli meat.  

But what would you pay for Eberle? Risto? McCabe plus #8?

I don't think Edmonton would have any interest in McCabe. They are more overloaded on the left side than we are on the right side and they're as desperate for help on the right side as we are on the left side. If we swing a deal with them it should involve a RHD from us for a LHD from them. If we wanted Eberle it's going to cost Bogosian or Psysk plus whatever amount added.

Edited by Drunkard

I wouldn't trade Rasmus Ristolainen for anything short of a deal involving Connor McDavid. Jack Eichel is a big boy, he can score on his own or with Reinhart. I also would not trade Jake McCabe plus #8.  Why? Because the Buffalo Sabres don't need to find Jack's winger right now immediately. This has become an odd obsession around here. Jack scored 24g and 56points as a 19yr old NHL rookie on a team that had a new coach and 4 new forwards in the top 6 alone. I don't need to gut my defense to add a winger to a guy who frankly could probably do just as much with Zemgus on his wing as opposed to Eberle with a gutted defense core. We have 1 serviceable LHD after this season on the roster in Jake McCabe, trading him for a winger when our pipeline is so glutted with wingers one of them is bound to work seems short sighted.  I love Eberle and if I could trade Pysyk and something for him I would.  I might even trade #8 for him, but Ramus is a non starter and McCabe being in there would mean I want Edmonton to overpay me because after McCabe goes I have 3 holes to fill on the left within the next year and at best 1 guy in the pipeline who might do that (Guhle). We should not trade from a position of weakness because we have built up this idea that Jack Eichel needs a winger. Jack is a good enough hockey player he can play with anyone competent.

I like your thinking here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.