Dan Bylsma new Sabres head coach (now official!)

spndnchz

http://media.wgr550.com/a/105855865/5-28-sabres-head-coach-dan-bylsma-with-bulldog.htm?

Murray mentioned that Bylsma will help out with choosing the coach for Amerks. Possibly someone he has played with or worked with.

Also they hope to have assistants chosen before the draft but not a hard deadline.

Didn't see anybody point these notes out. Thanks Chz!

Trying to find the connections that might lead to a coaching candidate in Rochester...

Two names that jump out:

Adam Oates is a former teammate who has NHL head coaching experience.

Scott Niedermayer is currently an assistant in Anaheim.

Thanks all for the recap, too much work not enough spare time to check in during the day..

After watching him coach the Pens over his career here in Pittsburgh I am curious to see his assistant hires..rumor had it when he first started here Mario heavily influenced his options for helpers.

Let the climb back begin..

Go Buffalo

Whether you like Bylsma or not, he is a qualified NHL coach.  So we went from:

Ruff - Regier (Qualified coach, unqualified GM), to

Rolston - Regier (Unqualified coach, unqualified GM), to

Nolan - Murray (Unqualified coach, jury still out GM), to

Bylsma - Murray (Qualified coach, jury still out GM).

Looks like we're better off now than  for the last decade and have reason for optimism.

My Granato hopes may be dashed... Toronto wants him and Detroit wants to keep him:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/tony-granato-mike-babcock-toronto-maple-leafs-detroit-red-wings-assistant-coach/

Todd Reirden may be a name to watch. He's a current assistant in Washington, but he was an assistant with Bylsma and Pittsburgh and coached in Wilkes-Barre previously. Could see him as an assistant in Buffalo or the head coach in Rochester.

Edited by Hoss

I love this addition as much as the next guy. But how do those ranks stand up against NHL 'history' when most coaches never had the benefit of the shootout?

That's a great point, and if I didn't like him so much....I may have made it myself before he got hired. :)

Duffer and Disco

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=826609

I think Duff has a 98% approval rating here, and you can see Dan go from a 2.5 to a 4 on the enthusiasm scale by talking to him.

We're gonna be just fine.........

TM with the rare smile...

I'm not even trying to be a dumba$$ here.....that's not a smile from Murray. Bylsma is smiling at Murray's reaction, Pegula has the lithium grin in the background, and my guess is that Battista was there making an attempt at a joke that Murray was all...WTF?!!!

I'm not even trying to be a dumba$$ here.....that's not a smile from Murray. Bylsma is smiling at Murray's reaction, Pegula has the lithium grin in the background, and my guess is that Battista was there making an attempt at a joke that Murray was all...WTF?!!!

I think you're looking a the wrong picture.  This is the one with the GMTM smile.

post-55-0-36858000-1432860683.jpg

That's a great point, and if I didn't like him so much....I may have made it myself before he got hired. :)

Duffer and Disco

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=826609

I think Duff has a 98% approval rating here, and you can see Dan go from a 2.5 to a 4 on the enthusiasm scale by talking to him.

We're gonna be just fine.........

Only half-way through the interview, but thought I'd stop for a second and share some thoughts:

So far, I stand by ascertain that I am more happy with DDB than I would have been with Babs.   DDB is way more personable and seems very approachable and makes Babcock appear as a Neanderthal in comparison.   The reason this is important is that, as we've seen, the heavy-handed authority figure coach is worn out in Buffalo.  I think the players will take to Dan a lot easier than they have or would have a Ruff, Nolan, or a Babcock.

I think his year off from NHL coaching may have been the best thing to happen to him.

...continuing on...

I kind of wish everyone would stop talking about Eichel.  I'm becoming concerned that Edmonton is going to latch onto the Eichel talk and take him, instead, in a panic.

You know, DDB's demeanor, when he's telling stories, reminds me of Ruff's.  I think that's one of the endearing factors in Ruff's personality and what kept him here so long, he could tell stories well.  DDB has a similar quality and I bet you dollars to donuts that if his first few seasons go well, he might become very popular around here above and beyond the results he brings to the team.

No...that's the picture.

It's a 30% smile of amazement, as in..."Are you F'n kidding me?"....and Bylsma is smiling at the reaction.

I agree.  Murray looks like he's reacting to a dumb-ass or someone highly annoying to him, and Bylsma looks like he's Tim's buddy going "haha, yeah, what a dumb-ass!"

I kind of wish everyone would stop talking about Eichel.  I'm becoming concerned that Edmonton is going to latch onto the Eichel talk and take him, instead, in a panic.

I've had a similar fear, but let's be clear here:

-Picking McDavid instead would in no way shape or form be a bad thing

-Edmonton will never pick Eichel. That team needs desperately to put faith into its fans, and they will burn that stadium to the ground before the season starts if BP Oil walks onto that stage and doesn't say the name "Connor McDavid"

In a strange way, the Sabres may have really lucked out here, in both instances. DDB has only had one coaching stint, a successful one, and there's no telling how much he's improved with a firing and a year off to evaluate the game. As for Eichel, well we all know his benefits, and maybe picking second isn't a terrible thing as the burden of choice is gone.

I'll ask this to everyone, if the Sabres were picking 1st, do we still take McDavid, even after his OHL playoff performance and Eichel's World's performance? 

I'm sorry but the people fearing the Oil taking Eichel have just fallen into the trap of being a fan. It's okay. I love Eichel, too. But McDavid is the better prospect. Period. The Oil are taking McDavid. If we were picking one we would be taking McDavid.

There's nothing to see here. We win by getting Eichel. But we still lost the lottery and lost out on the better prospect. We've talked ourselves into thinking otherwise, but that's how fans work. It's okay. But it's wrong to suddenly think that Eichel is better purely because we started paying more attention to him. If anything it should just reassure everybody that securing last place was the best route for this team.

I'm sorry but the people fearing the Oil taking Eichel have just fallen into the trap of being a fan. It's okay. I love Eichel, too. But McDavid is the better prospect. Period. The Oil are taking McDavid. If we were picking one we would be taking McDavid.

There's nothing to see here. We win by getting Eichel. But we still lost the lottery and lost out on the better prospect. We've talked ourselves into thinking otherwise, but that's how fans work. It's okay. But it's wrong to suddenly think that Eichel is better purely because we started paying more attention to him. If anything it should just reassure everybody that securing last place was the best route for this team.

I agree. McDavid is #1. Eichel is #2. Best case scenario Eichel has a better career. Anything can happen. Luck, circumstances, injuries or lack thereof, team mates, Puck luck, sheer determination. There are a host of things that might make Eichel actually finish his career the better player. But by all accounts he is the second best prospect. I'm o.k. with that. I'll take Eichel.

Edited by bunomatic

Bit of a post script to my debate with Peter on why the Guins got a pick for Bylsma. After having read this article, I have no idea what's going on. Fired? Terminated? Relieved of his duties?

Who the hell knows. Apparently, Pittsburgh was unclear as well.

http://triblive.com/mobile/8451206-96/rutherford-penguins-rule

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.