Dan Bylsma new Sabres head coach (now official!)

spndnchz

Former Sabre Phil Housley is the leading candidate to become the Devils next Head Coach

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2015/05/former_devils_defenseman_phil_housley_could_be_clu.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Good for Phil if he gets it.But,  I have a feeling it won't last long. He'll have the transition tag from  the start. 

Holy mackerel. I go out for a killer Italian dinner, with plenty of booze, and this clusterf### is what I come back to?

MB -- you are so far out of line here that you have lost sight of where the line is, if indeed you ever knew where it was.

I don't know why a message board moderator needs to tell you this, but you do not, EVER, tell someone, unsolicited, who practices your religion differently from the way you practice it that he or she is doing it wrong. And you also do not volunteer to a bunch of people that you think religious people are generally better than non-religious people.

Not every thought or opinion in your head should be published. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Now, this is not to say that I agree with the general liberal hostility towards religion -- I do not. But these are private matters. You just cannot be judgmental like this in public.

We now resume regularly scheduled programming.

Boy, If that's what constitutes a clusterf### these days then we really have gone soft. That was the most civil "dust-up" I have ever seen,… but then again, given the topic, I guess that makes sense.

Since the meeting is prior to the draft I honestly think they should go back and give Edmonton and Buffalo their picks back. Obviously not Toronto since it doesn't apply there.

Either that or give them compensatory picks at the end of the third this year. It's THAT bad of a rule.

Since the meeting is prior to the draft I honestly think they should go back and give Edmonton and Buffalo their picks back. Obviously not Toronto since it doesn't apply there.

Either that or give them compensatory picks at the end of the third this year. It's THAT bad of a rule.

I agree

yup

Friedman's 30 Thoughts: Good Stuff about Byslma

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-no-last-stand-for-blackhawks/

I am intrigued by this nugget:

Finally on Bylsma: what else did he work on during his season off the bench?

“I wanted to take a look at different teams and coaches, the cadence of their line shifts, patterns, tell signs, implementation of personnel. Do they match forwards and defence, or just defence? Zone starts. It was kind of an out-of-body experience, not looking at anything the way I watched it before,” he said.

With more time to watch, he looked pretty deep. Will be interesting to see if it changes any of his own habits.

Somehow, I just don't think Ted Nolan paid too much attention to things like that

And he is already working on how to best utilize the weapon that is Evander Kane

When the Sabres traded for Evander Kane, a couple of scouts/executives wondered if he would be a match for an Eichel or a Connor McDavid because Kane likes to carry the puck, and the centre would need that responsibility. Bylsma sees that could be an issue. But, noting Eichel and Kane’s speed, he added, “If that can work, imagine it coming at you.” Bylsma sat down with Kane for three hours after taking the job and spoke to former Jets coach Claude Noel, too.

What did Noel say?

“There is probably not a guy who is more competitive than Evander Kane,” Bylsma replied. He was not going to reveal anything else.

I don't think Bylsma's tactics are going to start and stop at "skate hard and compete"

I am intrigued by this nugget:

Finally on Bylsma: what else did he work on during his season off the bench?

“I wanted to take a look at different teams and coaches, the cadence of their line shifts, patterns, tell signs, implementation of personnel. Do they match forwards and defence, or just defence? Zone starts. It was kind of an out-of-body experience, not looking at anything the way I watched it before,” he said.

With more time to watch, he looked pretty deep. Will be interesting to see if it changes any of his own habits.

Somehow, I just don't think Ted Nolan paid too much attention to things like that

And he is already working on how to best utilize the weapon that is Evander Kane

When the Sabres traded for Evander Kane, a couple of scouts/executives wondered if he would be a match for an Eichel or a Connor McDavid because Kane likes to carry the puck, and the centre would need that responsibility. Bylsma sees that could be an issue. But, noting Eichel and Kane’s speed, he added, “If that can work, imagine it coming at you.” Bylsma sat down with Kane for three hours after taking the job and spoke to former Jets coach Claude Noel, too.

What did Noel say?

“There is probably not a guy who is more competitive than Evander Kane,” Bylsma replied. He was not going to reveal anything else.

I don't think Bylsma's tactics are going to start and stop at "skate hard and compete"

Love reading this. 

Regarding the Eichel/Kane line pairing, I don't necessarily see Kane's preference to carry the puck as being at odds with Eichel. There may be times when that's actually desirable, depending on matchups. Anyway, it's a nice problem to have. 

From the same article:

“From what we know, (Eichel’s) power numbers are extremely good. His vertical, again from what we know, would be the second-best among the Sabres…so there’s a powerful base. He still needs to work on strength and to get bigger, but what he generates is an enormous amount of power. The way he can accelerate, you don’t see someone do that every day.”

Power numbers like vertical, etc. are a measure of explosiveness. I've said it before, the minute Eichel steps into that locker room, he is already among the strongest buys on the team, and THE strongest among the forwards. 

At 18. 

Can't wait. 

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

Love reading this. 

Regarding the Eichel/Kane line pairing, I don't necessarily see Kane's preference to carry the puck as being at odds with Eichel. There may be times when that's actually desirable, depending on matchups. Anyway, it's a nice problem to have. 

From the same article:

Power numbers like vertical, etc. are a measure of explosiveness. I've said it before, the minute Eichel steps into that locker room, he is already among the strongest buys on the team, and THE strongest among the forwards.

At 18. 

Can't wait. 

GO SABRES!!!

Evander Kane wants to have a word with you :p

Evander Kane wants to have a word with you :P

Perhaps. But in looking at his results from the 2009 combine, he wasn't doing what Eichel is doing at that age.  I don't know if Kane can now clean as much or do as many pull-ups at 198 pounds, but there is no doubt he's a far better boxer. All I know is they are both explosive and fast as hell on their skates. Throw in Ennis and we finally have a line that is actually difficult to defend. 

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/icehockey/nhl-combine-results-2009.htm

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.