dudacek

I feel like what Harrington really needs is a solid punch in the neck.

Yep.

As Eleven notes, he''' never get "a". He's evidently too lazy and/or incompetent and/or detestable to get "b". But "c", that is just right for Mike. It gives him more time to fap to his favorite baseball nostalgia.

I don't think Harrington has any sources, no.

I've probably beat the dead horse into a pulp on this, but I can't stand either of those muhfuggers.

I still have to read Graham from time to time because he does have sources and is, I hate to have to admit it, a good writer. Graham did a recent feature -- I can't recall about what or whom -- and I remember thinking "DAMMIT, that was a good piece." But following him on the Twitter put me off of him personally. He really (really) comes off as a smug prick on that platform; one who's never had to answer for why he (*ahem*) chose to leave ESPN to come back to Buffalo.

As for Harrington, he's a different sort of a smug prick than Graham, but he has neither the sources nor the writing chops to redeem himself. He's a pud with a chin that started disappearing into his neck in his 30s and who's left to pushing this sort of drivel:

"The Sabres don’t want to look back. Fair enough. There’s no reason to belabor the embarrassingly blatant tank that will linger over this franchise forever, regardless of the results it may spawn."

I mean -- dear God.

I'm all for a local media type that does that. I don't think Harrington does much of that, and, when he does try to do so, he has so little credibility and acumen that I just want to kick him in the teeth (that is, when I do actually read his material (which I do when I feel like being angered)).

But I want to give credit where it's due: Did he get that out of OSP? Tip of the hat to Harrington, if so.

I love Graham on Twitter.  I think he's hilarious.  But this is one fine rant, my man.  "Pud with a chin."  Hilarious stuff.

I guess they don't need the local "media" anymore, unless it's their flagship station or something. They can bring in national media people — a former Buffalo guy is a nice touch — give them access and get puff pieces in return. It's Showtime!

I don't care that much about the end of season presser. It does show arrogance, which, as Mike points out, is totally unjustified. It is a slight stick in the eye to the fanbase, a lot of whom don't live on social media to receive the team's message that way. But whatever. I will argue we need Mike, because he's one of the few to speak truth to power. Lest we forget, it was his annoying prodding that got Tom Golisano to admit in public that the only directive he gave to Larry and Darcy was to break even.

I always find it quite intriguing that, just like a family, family members can trash the family, but God forbid if someone outside the circle does. Then, rally round the flag. This is a historically bad hockey franchise with a public relations approach that has been consistently ham-handed, and that's being kind. It deserves all the criticism and probing it gets from The Buffalo News. And, honestly, it doesn't deserve all the free positive publicity and attention it gets from them. The team is treated with kid gloves all in all. As Mike has said, how would the Sabres front office handle being in Toronto, Montreal, New York, Philly, Boston...

All in all, I agree. Pegula is very protective of limiting his exposure to questions and criticism. But the reporting/investigative chops on the News is almost zero. Graham has the ability, but is busy polishing his Traverse in a parking lot full of Cruzes. The only reason I really looked into the Penn State stuff to the extent that I did is because the Sabres refused to make anyone available for comment. The News huffed and puffed, but if they were actually worried about making a difference from their position, they would put in the investigative work instead of playing grumpy paddycake on Twitter with 14 year olds. There is enough information out there that a Pulitzer would be won if someone had the nads to follow through on all the info.

This is the problem with Pegulaville. A one paper and one station town. He controls $2 billion worth of sports teams, the radio station, and the guys at the News have limited access.

Having just fired Nolan and being at the podium, and the lottery, I'm actually much more interested in grilling them for a plan a week into free agency. You just don't know what the team will look like until then and while the playoff teams go at it the next few months....we just have to wait.

Sabres PR flak: Hi, I'd like to welcome the assembled media to the BUFFFFFFF-A-LOOOOOOOOHHHH SAAAAY-bers end of year press conference. Here's Tim Murray.

TM: First question.

Mike Harrington: How happy are you with the result of this season?

TM: Well, I would have liked to win the lottery, I hate losing anything. But all in all the team didn't perform as well I thought they would when I made moves last off-season,

MH: Why do you hate Jack Eichel? He the best US-born prospect in a decade!

TM: I don't hate Jack Eichel, I just hate losing anything. If we do pick Jack Eichel in the draft, he will be a great player for the Sabres and add a much-needed piece to our line-up.

MH: "If" you pick Eichel? How many assets are you going to throw at Edmonton to get McDavid? Do you realize how far the team will be set back due to your crush?

TM: I'll certainly have a conversation with EDM about the #1 pick but I will only make that trade if I think it makes the team better in the long-run.

MH: Why do you hate the season ticket holders? They spend their hard-earned cash on tickets and you haven't done enough to make the team a play-off contender next year.

TM: I think the Season Ticket holders will be happy when I set this team up for a long-stretch of playoff appearances.

MH: Getting back to the team's performance this year: did you plan on screwing Ted Nolan at the outset or do you consider it a happy accident that you could finish in last place for the lottery AND destroy a treasured icon in Buffalo sports history?

TM: Does anyone else have questions?

Perfect, fire up the presses!

All in all, I agree. Pegula is very protective of limiting his exposure to questions and criticism. But the reporting/investigative chops on the News is almost zero. 

This is the problem with Pegulaville. A one paper and one station town. He controls $2 billion worth of sports teams, the radio station, and the guys at the News have limited access.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23337-pegula-showtime-special/ 

I love Graham on Twitter.  I think he's hilarious.  But this is one fine rant, my man.  "Pud with a chin."  Hilarious stuff.

Ha - thanks. I'm not proud of my antipathy for those guys. It's not healthy. And it's partly (if not largely, at least as to Graham) irrational. Sadly, even medication has failed to help me.

Man. 

"And most important, they are the only team to not provide information to their fans about their plans moving forward. This is minor-league stuff all the way."

GMTM has been exceptionally accessible and candid from my view.  They'd prefer Darcy saying nothing at a podium, rolling cliche after cliche?  OK then, I guess that's major league, doing the dance.   

I think the answer is yes, they can snub the old-timey print outlet.  It certainly works for me, canceled the D&C (Roc) years ago.

Maybe it's in the column, but I'd love to see something to back up the assertion that you quoted.  That's quite the statement to throw out there as if it is factual and I have a hard time believing it.  I didn't read it though, so maybe he does actually attempt to back that up.  Maybe I'll give the column a chance later, but I have no interest in it right now.

This is still a good line, though.

"Still, I’ll say this for the Sabres. They did one thing right as the season wound down: At least this year, they didn’t announce an increase in ticket prices on Fan Appreciation Night."

Sabres PR flak: Hi, I'd like to welcome the assembled media to the BUFFFFFFF-A-LOOOOOOOOHHHH SAAAAY-bers end of year press conference. Here's Tim Murray.

TM: First question.

Mike Harrington: How happy are you with the result of this season?

TM: Well, I would have liked to win the lottery, I hate losing anything. But all in all the team didn't perform as well I thought they would when I made moves last off-season,

MH: Why do you hate Jack Eichel? He the best US-born prospect in a decade!

TM: I don't hate Jack Eichel, I just hate losing anything. If we do pick Jack Eichel in the draft, he will be a great player for the Sabres and add a much-needed piece to our line-up.

MH: "If" you pick Eichel? How many assets are you going to throw at Edmonton to get McDavid? Do you realize how far the team will be set back due to your crush?

TM: I'll certainly have a conversation with EDM about the #1 pick but I will only make that trade if I think it makes the team better in the long-run.

MH: Why do you hate the season ticket holders? They spend their hard-earned cash on tickets and you haven't done enough to make the team a play-off contender next year.

TM: I think the Season Ticket holders will be happy when I set this team up for a long-stretch of playoff appearances.

MH: Getting back to the team's performance this year: did you plan on screwing Ted Nolan at the outset or do you consider it a happy accident that you could finish in last place for the lottery AND destroy a treasured icon in Buffalo sports history?

TM: Does anyone else have questions?

MH: No, answer my questions! The people, the fans, we all deserve it! I am their appointed to get answers! They love me!

Sweet now I really don't need a press conference.  

Is this supposed to counter the idea that Pegula limits and controls his message? You think this is going to be a sweaty sitdown with Mike Wallace?

Know any other owners that are doing news specials? 

Do I think it will be a tell-all where Pegula tells us he's going the Bruce Jenner path and the glove did fit his hand? No. But the amount of publicity he gets is on par with any other owner not named Jerry Jones or Mark Cuban

Is this supposed to counter the idea that Pegula limits and controls his message? You think this is going to be a sweaty sitdown with Mike Wallace?

Is there an implication that we need one?

Personally, I often snicker at the assertion that sports reporters need to be investigative about the day to day operations of a sports franchise. My gawd, it's a hockey game. It's ok that the fanbase doesn't immediately know the plan forward with regards to Mark Pysyk. It really, really is. The answer will reveal itself in time.

The Buffalo News has filed its annual Sabres aren't accountable column:

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/mike-harrington/many-questions-but-sabres-wont-answer-20150427

Have at it about your thoughts on the lack of a season-ending press conference if you wish.

But I'm more interested in the media/sports dynamic here:

For years the News has felt the sort of entitlement reflected in this column.

For years sports teams have tolerated the media because they needed the coverage.

Have we come to the point where organizations can snub traditional outlets like the News and not suffer any consequences?

my thoughts are its the axe grinding Buffalo news. All I do now when I read their sports columns is roll my eyes and LOL. I'm really sick of their sports journalists

Personally, I often snicker at the assertion that sports reporters need to be investigative about the day to day operations of a sports franchise. My gawd, it's a hockey game. It's ok that the fanbase doesn't immediately know the plan forward with regards to Mark Pysyk. It really, really is. The answer will reveal itself in time.

Yes, if the Billionaire land developer needs to be investigated for his actions, I absolutely do not want sportswriters doing the journalism. Leave that to actual journalists, not the athletics version of Entertainment Weekly.

No, I just think Wild has an odd notion of what this is going to be. "News special." It's going to be a soft, friendly feature piece. I'm just hoping they can find 10 seconds to mention how he's driven the Sabres into a ditch.

No, I just think Wild has an odd notion of what this is going to be. "News special." It's going to be a soft, friendly feature piece. I'm just hoping they can find 10 seconds to mention how he's driven the Sabres into a ditch.

I don't have that notion. All I want it to be is a friendly feature piece on how things are looking up in Buffalo, not an investigation of him. It's nice to get some national media in Buffalo, and IMO we deserve it, because it's not a stretch to say Buffalo is improving/exciting.

I just don't see the surprise or rarity in a billionaire not living in a glass house. 

I really don't care what specifically Murray is thinking every second of every day and I also don't want to hear another long winded Buffalo News rant about the tank.  What is Murray possibly going to say in an end of year presser that he hasn't said in some other format already?  Usually the end of year presser is a bunch of bs questions with some more bs answers.  The reason is until the offseason happens and the draft and July 1 roll by, there really isn't anything to do but wait. 

That's incorrect. He's driven the Sabres the junkyard and sold off all the old, rusty panels and parts because he has a new shiny set of panels on order.

I imagine you are correct on the tone of it.

However, your last characterization is a mis-characterization. Driving into a ditch implies recklessness, lack of attention, carelessness, incompetence, etc...

You know what has transpired isn't because of those reasons. You know it has been executed with deliberation and forethought. It's more apt to say he has driven the Sabres into the shop. Whether it emerges and laps the field, goes into the ditch, or something in-between remains to be seen.

However, your last characterization is a mis-characterization. Driving into a ditch implies recklessness, lack of attention, carelessness, incompetence, etc...

You know what has transpired isn't because of those reasons. You know it has been executed with deliberation and forethought. It's more apt to say he has driven the Sabres into the shop. Whether it emerges and laps the field, goes into the ditch, or something in-between remains to be seen.

He learned his lesson, but this was HIS 5TH YEAR as owner. If you want to call it his 4th, fine, but then he gets no credit for the playoffs in 2011.

He is doing the EXACT same gameplan with the Bills that he started with the Sabres, minus a new coach....and who knows if the coach would have been the same if he didn't opt out.

They are extending every possible contract and throwing giant upfront money at guys. McCoy was a trade, and Clay and Harvin are by consensus overpaid but there were limited options on the market. (Sounding familiar?) Whaley has already told fans to take a vacation next free agency because they will be spending any available money on extending HIS draft picks to giant cash outlays. (Sounding Familiar?)

They have a 2-3 year window to actually get the job done, because there is going to be a lot of dead and underperforming money on the books in a few years. God forbid the Bills miss the playoffs this year....it can be the exact same path as the Sabres. At least they have a defense worth investing in, but the QB and O-line is still subpar. They have admitted they are trying the Dilfer/Sanchez plan to grit it out into January. That's a tad scary.

As far as the interview goes, the guy is from Tonawanda and a huge Bills fan. Let's see if I can nail it...

1) Open with shot of Sidney the dog running in a circle and up to Terry who is walking with Kim and maybe one of the kids.

2) "This looks like any other stroll in the park for a normal American family, not a multi-billionaire power couple....yadayada...

3) "This once bustling blue collar city was a staple in manufacturing...and along with their blue collar image, the love of their sports teams goes hand in hand." (to the backdrop of stock photos of Bethlehem Steel and Ford Stamping, maybe Sal hauling a barge on the canal,and then the photo of Jim Kelly coming out of the tunnel with his helmet on and 1 finger in the air). "But like many other rust belt cities, things started to decline and stagnate over the years."

"Meet Terry and Kim Pegula. Single-handedly responsible for a renesiance of the city's sports teams and downtown waterfront. (backdrop of 10% audio of Terry trying to tell a joke, interviewer faking a smile, and Kim flashing those pearly whites)

......maybe to be continued, but I think we get the picture.

Im fascinated by how the News has chosen a sports approach that equates to "sticking up for their truth."

I'm more fascinated by how it seems to believe that approach somehow translates to sticking up for the fans, when the fans seem to — by and large — disagree with and even despise their version of the truth.

It's a business philosophy doomed to failure.

I don't go to the News for game stories. I've already watched the game and listened to the press conferences. 

I guess there is an advantage to having News reporters there in the locker room asking questions.

But if it was just Hamilton and Duff, I doubt the soundbites would be much different.

I don't go to the News for insider info. I'd like to, but it doesn't have any.

The reporters have failed to cultivate sources and badly botched any opportunities for fence-mending created by the new regime.

They seem to have the same issues when it comes to the human interest stuff.

They try to supply informed analysis, but I find the columnists have tired agendas and little insight and I know I'm not alone in that view.

This forum does a much better job at calling the team to task and asking the pointed questions.

This forum also does a much better job on the breaking news. It does a better job entertaining me.

It also interacts with me in a much more fulfilling way than some snotty know-it-all on Twitter.

I have a lot of respect for the traditional media and its role.

But what it needs to do is provide my with something I value that I can't get elsewhere.

The News just seems to be missing the boat.

Edited by dudacek

"Meet Terry and Kim Pegula. Single-handedly responsible for a renesiance of the city's sports teams and downtown waterfront. (backdrop of 10% audio of Terry trying to tell a joke, interviewer faking a smile, and Kim flashing those pearly whites)

......maybe to be continued, but I think we get the picture.

Continued:

Reporter: So Terry, we have a special guest to invite. You'll certainly know him.

Terry: !!! Is it Gil? I haven't seen him in awhile.

Reporter: No, its Mike Harrington!

Mike: Hi Terry, why do you hate the Bills, Sabres, and I heard you don't like Rick's calls?

Edited by MattPie

Better than a story about an owner who drove the Sabres to Seattle or Las Vegas and then drove the Bills to Toronto or Los Angeles.

Better than a story about an owner who drove the Sabres to Seattle or Las Vegas and then drove the Bills to Toronto or Los Angeles.

The Sabres were going to be fine.

He drove the car into the ditch by retaining Ruff and Regier and trying to "fix" the core by adding (recklessly, yes) to it in the summer of 2011. Fine — he drove the Sabres into a ditch, then had them towed into the shop.

He drove the car into the ditch by retaining Ruff and Regier and trying to "fix" the core by adding (recklessly, yes) to it in the summer of 2011. Fine — he drove the Sabres into a ditch, then had them towed into the shop.

If I'm going to battle a wordsmith - then I'm going to point out this isn't right either. Ruff and Regier didn't find the ditch post Pegula acqusition.

If you want to say Pegula tried to drive OUT of the ditch and failed... maybe even got stuck worse - then fine. That would be certainly more accurate than implying a team that had a tired coach/GM/core was flying down the highway listening to the Beach Boys and Terry missed the curve and ruined the party.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.