dudacek

Really? Maybe for New York, or Toronto, or Chicago......cities that get by just fine....but then again, they probably also have the most sharp media who doesn't let stuff get by. Funny ain't it?

So.....let's just say......what would the overall impact be on the city of Buffalo and area if Terry Pegula was "entertaining" the Mrs. on their anniversary, and in the throes of passion, Terry has "The Widowmaker", and proceeds to collapse on a 95lb Kim, trapping her and also causing her demise?

Does it turn into a Disney Film with a trio of teenage kids running 2 sports teams and 1/4 of downtown?  Or do you see the Bills and Sabres auctioned off, and Harborcenter and 1/4 of downtown at risk given the development from the developers assuming a stadium going forward? ...

Given Pegula's comments about establishing generational ownership, comments made on more than one occasion, I seriously doubt there isn't a solid plan of succession in place. 

GO SABRES!!!

Would it really bother you? You don't care about those pressers. You could go get you a cold pop.

It would be a bit ridiculous, but how is it not a valid question? A better question is why the owner doesn't speak about the team publicly very often. The last two seasons were remarkable times for the franchise. It would have been nice for us fans to hear a lot more (or anything, really; can't remember when Terry last had anything to say) from another fan who happens to own the team. And an owner who's very active and involved on a day to day basis. I'm sure any such question would really get panties in a wad around here. I mean, how dare they?!

Isn't it obvious? Terry doesn't do well with a microphone in his face.

Little to gain, lots to lose.

How many NHL owners frequently speak about their teams to the media?

Edited by dudacek

All to the drumbeat of a GM who told fans there will be no activity in free agency next year because they need to extend his own draft picks.

What will happen going forward?????? I don't know.....but how can you say he hasn't done the exact same thing he did with the Sabres? And how can you not feel concerned that if the Bills go 8-8 and 9-7 the next 2 seasons...that all that money doesn't handcuff them to mediocrity going forward?

At least it's a more interesting way to be chained to mediocrity than the last 15 years.

Yep. It is entertainment. Soap operas for men. 

I'm not claiming there isn't an economic impact, sure there is. But is it really that different from the Buffalo Philharmonic, Shea's, Kleinehan's. and other ticketed venues? 

Economically speaking, not really, only different scales. 

Based on the post in the Game of Thrones thread I accidentally read, that seems like the soap opera more than sports. :)

Because you're always negative. I knew what your answer would be.

Nice.

Isn't it obvious? Terry doesn't do well with a microphone in his face.

Little to gain, lots to lose.

How many NHL owners frequently speak about their teams o the media?

PA wants to hate Pegula.  He will find reasons--fracking, not speaking to media, ordering veal for dinner, buying football teams, wearing sandals, whatever.  There is no point in engaging PA on this issue.

PA wants to hate Pegula.  He will find reasons--fracking, not speaking to media, ordering veal for dinner, buying football teams, wearing sandals, whatever.  There is no point in engaging PA on this issue.

I want to? What's stopping me? I hate the job he has done as owner. Hate it, yes. Nothing to do with fracking. I've never said word one about where I stand on fracking, and I live in the state he fracked. I said the controversy of fracking is worth mentioning in any news program on the guy, because that's where the money is coming from to do all this stuff in Buffalo. (And New York doesn't allow fracking, which adds a layer of interest).

Anyway, nice strawman. You and others continue to distort. It's telling.

I'll say this: the local press corps has been somewhat curiously hands off with extrinsic Pegula matters. Is it a lack of interest? Acumen? Resources? Or are local media types just swept up in the exhilaration of all the good he's doing?

Evidently, something not dissimilar to that sort of scenario is going on in Detroit right now. (I will admit: Pegula hasn't received the public money that those Detroit billionaires have.)

http://gawker.com/how-two-billionaires-are-remaking-detroit-in-their-flaw-1700397768

I'll say this: the local press corps has been somewhat curiously hands off with extrinsic Pegula matters. Is it a lack of interest? Acumen? Resources? Or are local media types just swept up in the exhilaration of all the good he's doing?

Evidently, something not dissimilar to that sort of scenario is going on in Detroit right now. (I will admit: Pegula hasn't received the public money that those Detroit billionaires have.)

http://gawker.com/how-two-billionaires-are-remaking-detroit-in-their-flaw-1700397768

I'll be honest... I don't want Terry and Kim buying anything else DT unless it is land for a Football Stadium.  They have stimulated the economy and along with UB's new medical campus and some of the other industry DT, I think a diversified group of invested individuals make for a stronger Buffalo. 

All in all, I agree. Pegula is very protective of limiting his exposure to questions and criticism. But the reporting/investigative chops on the News is almost zero. Graham has the ability, but is busy polishing his Traverse in a parking lot full of Cruzes. The only reason I really looked into the Penn State stuff to the extent that I did is because the Sabres refused to make anyone available for comment. The News huffed and puffed, but if they were actually worried about making a difference from their position, they would put in the investigative work instead of playing grumpy paddycake on Twitter with 14 year olds. There is enough information out there that a Pulitzer would be won if someone had the nads to follow through on all the info.

This is the problem with Pegulaville. A one paper and one station town. He controls $2 billion worth of sports teams, the radio station, and the guys at the News have limited access.

Having just fired Nolan and being at the podium, and the lottery, I'm actually much more interested in grilling them for a plan a week into free agency. You just don't know what the team will look like until then and while the playoff teams go at it the next few months....we just have to wait.

Bingo!  Too much power stemming from a single source is almost always bad.  The input Pegula has provided to WNY is nice, but you really don't want your city owned by a single guy.  

I don't read TBN or Mike Harrington and consider the lack of end of year PC unimportant.

The organization probably does have a responsibility to provide one, and they probably should have had one, but it wouldn't have yielded many answers to the questions Harrington lists at the end of his column.

I have noticed that the same fan base that attacks TBN tends to praise Ted Black, specifically, and I find that curious. 

I have listened to Black countless times when he does his weekly visit with Howard Simon on GR-55.  

That man is creepy, most certainly dishonest, and a brainwashed corporate stooge.  Those people do what is best for the company always and it is a sort of bizarre religion for them.

Trust that man as far as you can throw him. 

Didn't mean to go off-topic. Sorry about that.  

Not this fan. And, on balance, I disagree. I think fans can identify both a shrill hack and a corporate mouthpiece for what they are.

Has there much talk about Black around here lately?  I really haven't noticed much other than the occasional post taking a shot at him.  He seems mostly off the radar at this point.

Has there much talk about Black around here lately?  I really haven't noticed much other than the occasional post taking a shot at him.  He seems mostly off the radar at this point.

No, not really. And I agree: He's been less visible of late -- at least to me. The one exception being when I saw him at Hutch's earlier this month.

I give it a 7 out of 10.  I see where you were going.  

I kind of mailed it in. I looked for 10 seconds for the actual clip from the movie, but they appeared to be lengthy clips. I just wanted Lincoln (well DDL) giving that money line. So I went with that trailer-type clip, perhaps homemade by someone. I will now self-flagellate. Of course while doing that I'll be thinking about qwksndmonster.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.