dudacek

If I'm going to battle a wordsmith - then I'm going to point out this isn't right either. Ruff and Regier didn't find the ditch post Pegula acqusition.

If you want to say Pegula tried to drive OUT of the ditch and failed... maybe even got stuck worse - then fine. That would be certainly more accurate than implying a team that had a tired coach/GM/core was flying down the highway listening to the Beach Boys and Terry missed the curve and ruined the party.

I wouldn't say they were in the ditch in the spring/summer of 2011. They were a back to back playoff team after all. But they were drifting toward the side of the road and hitting the rumble strips and both Lindy and Darcy were unconscious. Terry was dropped in like the replacement pilot in Airport 75 (except he made it), grabbed the steering wheel and gave both Lindy and Darcy road head to revive them. In the ensuing chaos, the Sabres went into the ditch.

Isn't one of the golden rules of journalism that you don't make yourself part of the story?  I really don't care if the Sabres hold a meaningless presser or not.  To me it's no different that Belichik's evasive answers.  If that's how the want to handle the media, so be it.  Start winning and nobody will care.

But Harrington really showed his true colors by brining up the tank AGAIN.  Why?  It's not relevant to his "story."  And it's also ridiculous--the tank will not stain this franchise.  Countless tanks in US sports leagues have long since been forgotten, and so too will this one be forgotten. 

I wouldn't say they were in the ditch in the spring/summer of 2011. They were a back to back playoff team after all. But they were drifting toward the side of the road and hitting the rumble strips and both Lindy and Darcy were unconscious. Terry was dropped in like the replacement pilot in Airport 75 (except he made it), grabbed the steering wheel and gave both Lindy and Darcy road head to revive them. In the ensuing chaos, the Sabres went into the ditch.

Nah. You don't get to give them credit for that while hammering on the core the whole time. I'm fairly certain you were displeased with the whole ball of wax. Regardless, he gave it a shot, failed and is now trying a new approach. 

Isn't one of the golden rules of journalism that you don't make yourself part of the story?  I really don't care if the Sabres hold a meaningless presser or not.  To me it's no different that Belichik's evasive answers.  If that's how the want to handle the media, so be it.  Start winning and nobody will care.

But Harrington really showed his true colors by brining up the tank AGAIN.  Why?  It's not relevant to his "story."  And it's also ridiculous--the tank will not stain this franchise.  Countless tanks in US sports leagues have long since been forgotten, and so too will this one be forgotten. 

It's going to be remembered. For example, hockey fans haven't let the Penguins forget what they did, and one of the tanks came during Reagan's first term. I don't know about stained. But when the Sabres win a Cup, it's not like people are going to have amnesia.

It's going to be remembered. For example, hockey fans haven't let the Penguins forget what they did, and one of the tanks came during Reagan's first term. I don't know about stained. But when the Sabres win a Cup, it's not like people are going to have amnesia.

I'm going to have amnesia from being so frigging drunk from partying my a** off for a week! THAT TIME IS COMING SOON! WHOO HOO!!!

No one gives a flying monkey what the Penguins did.  With Edmonton winning the lottery people really don't give a about Buffalo selecting 2nd overall. 

Pens fans dont care, and neither will Sabres fans. All other opinions are irrelevant or.sour grapes.

Would they rather the Pens never got Mario or Sidney? If not for those two, Pittsburgh wouldn't even have a team and new arena. They would have been relocated.

Wow! Since when did it become so popular to shoot the messenger? Why all the hate for the Buffalo News?

The Sabres should do what everyone else does in pro sports. What is their problem? Just meet with the media for 20 minutes at the end of every season and there is no issue. Stop acting arrogant and stupid and give the FANS some information. What is so freakin hard about that?

The haters who bash the media are going to be the big losers some day when the only source of information comes from the idiots on Twitter. 

Edited by PotentPowerPlay22

Wow! Since when did it become so popular to shoot the messenger? Why all the hate for the Buffalo News?

The Sabres should do what everyone else does in pro sports. What is their problem? Just meet with the media for 20 minutes at the end of every season and there is no issue. Stop acting arrogant and stupid and give the FANS some information. What is so freakin hard about that?

The haters who bash the media are going to be the big losers some day when the only source of information comes from the idiots on Twitter. 

is some of this sarcasm?

What possible info could they have passed along that would have meant anything to anyone?

I think that's the problem....the media is now more worried about being "The Idiots on Twitter".

As someone who lives well away from western New York... at first when the online Buffalo News went to 10 articles/month limit I was worried I would lose some coverage. But after a couple months, I realized I really didn't need to read their articles. I did enjoy listening to Sullivan on the radio because I have a soft spot for a mix of slightly cranky-nostalgic.

However, I do think the every team should do an end of season presser just to do a good bookend to the season. It's like a company performance review. There is value is some self-reflection. But here is my caveat: only do it if there is a stable voice to provide the presser. I don't think we have the voice of the franchise right now. It could be president of operations, GM, or coach, depending on who is best suited for the job. It also needs to be a consistent voice of the entire leadership group.

But do we have that person? It definitely isn't Pegula (and shouldn't be; he's an owner). It isn't Black. And we don't have a coach.

Perhaps it should be Murray except I can't say he's a great spokesman (he may become a great GM, and he's wonderfully frank and I find him endearing) but I don't need him as a voice/face of the team if he isn't suitied for it. The other point is that Murray doesn't have anyone to work in concert with him. A GM and coach need to be on the same page, and the better spokesperson is the one to give the presser.

Packers fan aside: For example, at the close of every season coach McCarthy gives the presser. It's mostly lip service, but it fulfills the NFL obligations, covers the pulse of the team, and he  gives the prime directive for next season (for which he and the GM are on the same page). Then the team goes out and delivers on the directive (a couple years ago it was "we will run better" and they drafted Lacy, last year it was "we will be better on defense" -- they signed Peppers, did some personnel-shifting, and statistically the defense was much better). But that comes from GM/Coach on the same page.

Until we have a coach, and a specifically agreed-upon directive to which all leadership is headed, I don't need a presser. I know the directive for next season: "We'll draft the best player at #2 and we will improve."

And its sad when media outlets seem be doing what they can to accelerate the process.

My beef is not about the media. It's about the way the Buffalo News covers the Sabres

As someone who lives well away from western New York... at first when the online Buffalo News went to 10 articles/month limit I was worried I would lose some coverage. But after a couple months, I realized I really didn't need to read their articles. I did enjoy listening to Sullivan on the radio because I have a soft spot for a mix of slightly cranky-nostalgic.

However, I do think the every team should do an end of season presser just to do a good bookend to the season. It's like a company performance review. There is value is some self-reflection. But here is my caveat: only do it if there is a stable voice to provide the presser. I don't think we have the voice of the franchise right now. It could be president of operations, GM, or coach, depending on who is best suited for the job. It also needs to be a consistent voice of the entire leadership group.

But do we have that person? It definitely isn't Pegula (and shouldn't be; he's an owner). It isn't Black. And we don't have a coach.

Perhaps it should be Murray except I can't say he's a great spokesman (he may become a great GM, and he's wonderfully frank and I find him endearing) but I don't need him as a voice/face of the team if he isn't suitied for it. The other point is that Murray doesn't have anyone to work in concert with him. A GM and coach need to be on the same page, and the better spokesperson is the one to give the presser.

Packers fan aside: For example, at the close of every season coach McCarthy gives the presser. It's mostly lip service, but it fulfills the NFL obligations, covers the pulse of the team, and he  gives the prime directive for next season (for which he and the GM are on the same page). Then the team goes out and delivers on the directive (a couple years ago it was "we will run better" and they drafted Lacy, last year it was "we will be better on defense" -- they signed Peppers, did some personnel-shifting, and statistically the defense was much better). But that comes from GM/Coach on the same page.

Until we have a coach, and a specifically agreed-upon directive to which all leadership is headed, I don't need a presser. I know the directive for next season: "We'll draft the best player at #2 and we will improve."

Good post. I've seen McCarthy's pressers and he does a nice job. I agree that once we get a long term coach in here, he would be well suited for that type of press conference. 

As an aside to match yours - I'm excited to see #4 finally go up on the Ring in Lambeau this coming season. Long time coming and incredibly well-deserved.

The Sabres have been in the media all season. Murray and Black have been discussing the future since last summer. It's been an exhausting season for everyone on both sides, so let it rest.

Are you going to argue that when half the fan base (or more) ends up openly rooting for the tank, at games, and the remainder either sit on their hands or quietly agree (or disagree), Sabres fans don't know what the plans are?

When Nolan is fired, and there's pretty much zero protest over it, are you going to say the fans aren't in on what's happening?

I would argue that the Sabres fan base is probably more informed and knowledgable about their team than most teams' fan bases. And the Sabres know that. Why put themselves in a position to be pissed on by a handful of curmudgeons who, the Sabres realize, clearly don't reflect the majority of fans. That would be stupid, and, likewise, you'd be calling them stupid for doing it.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

The Buffalo News has filed its annual Sabres aren't accountable column:

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/mike-harrington/many-questions-but-sabres-wont-answer-20150427

Have at it about your thoughts on the lack of a season-ending press conference if you wish.

But I'm more interested in the media/sports dynamic here:

For years the News has felt the sort of entitlement reflected in this column.

For years sports teams have tolerated the media because they needed the coverage.

Have we come to the point where organizations can snub traditional outlets like the News and not suffer any consequences?

I think so. The Buffalo News should have a responsibility of providing qualified journalists to bring us the news. There is a line to be drawn between news and tabloid fodder. I understand if a news outlet hits the sports team with tough questions, things the public wants to know because that's their job. However, journalism is rapidly making a 180° turn and integrity is a dying breed. Not saying this played a part in the reasoning to not have a season ending presser, but when the Buffalo News has clowns like Harrington and Sullivan I can see the team's point in not wanting to deal with it. As much as I bitch about PHam, at least he still maintains a level of professionalism. Harrington and Sullivan (and others) threw that out the window long ago. For me, I drew the line with Harrington when Pegula had the ground-breaking for the Harbor Center(?) and he made a scene asking Pegula about the firing of Lindy. It was the wrong place, the wrong time and completely unprofessional. If the Buffalo News wants opinion pieces, fine keep the clowns. But if you want the organization to take you seriously send somebody to presser and into the locker room who takes pride in their work. 

Rant over. 

The funk are you talking about?! There's no helping anyone who will "remember" the bottoming out during the glow of a Cup celebration, or who will thereafter consider that Cup "stained."

The funk are you talking about?! There's no helping anyone who will "remember" the bottoming out during the glow of a Cup celebration, or who will thereafter consider that Cup "stained."

The rest of the funkin league, for time immemorial. See "You suck, Pens, you only won the Cup cuz you tanked for Crosby and Malkin and Staal and Fleury."

Jebus.

is some of this sarcasm?

Expand your mind, dude. Others disagree with you.

The rest of the funkin league, for time immemorial. See "You suck, Pens, you only won the Cup cuz you tanked for Crosby and Malkin and Staal and Fleury.

Rest of the league? Wow. Really? Man, that is quite a consensus. Overwhelming, even. I feel shame. Such. Shame.

Oh, and see that quoted sentiment where? In your message board content? In Harrington's material? I've never heard or read anyone say or write that. But maybe I don't spend enough time contemplating my own navel in Eyeore's thistle patch to catch wind of such analytical miasma.

Rest of the league? Wow. Really? Man, that is quite a consensus. Overwhelming, even. I feel shame. Such. Shame.

Oh, and see that quoted sentiment where? In your message board content? In Harrington's material? I've never heard or read anyone say or write that. But maybe I don't spend enough time contemplating my own navel in Eyeore's thistle patch to catch wind of such analytical miasma.

Analytical miasma. I'm totally stealing that phrase this afternoon in a conference.

For chutes and giggles, I Googled +penguins Crosby tanked+, and among my first three hits was a hockeywriters piece that led off with this:

" Over the past six seasons, four different teams have hoisted the Stanley Cup: the Kings (twice), Blackhawks (twice), Bruins, and Penguins. For each of those teams, prior to their success, they had a period of multiple seasons when they were an awful NHL team."

Edited by That Aud Smell

Buffalo News sports = Tabloid. The Sabres could win the Stanley Cup and they'd still write something negative to boost/maintain ratings. I couldn't tell you the last time I read one of their articles. 

Edited by GoPre

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.