The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

Hadn't been aware that the two of you had been around and around on this issue before now.

Zadorov could pan out as a top pairing (or, more likely,a top 4) guy. But I'll trust the decision makers within the organization to have made that call -- I'm inferring that they saw it as a bad risk, especially when compared with the prospects of getting a ROR on board.

It's unhealthy #ManCrush territory to hold a flame for the guy. Mind you: There's nothing wrong with having a #ManCrush. I just don't think Z. was/is deserving of the same. Although I get it.

Maybe expansion will allow that to happen. Certainly the current trend of the Loonie will not.

I don't know exactly who I've had the conversation with (mostly because it was many people) but I was against picking up O'Reilly since way before we got him. It's peppered all throughout that speculation thread that became the trade thread but the gist from my point of view is that we already have a log jam at the LW/C position and I knew he'd require a contract paying him to be a first line center long term. He's just what the doctor ordered now, but 2 years from now when Eichel and Reinhart are good to go, it's overkill (IMO) to pay him that much to shift over to wing or to center the 3rd line because the money could be spent better at that point (again IMO). The vast majority of folks here disagree (some passionately) but that's just how I see it. Luckily he'll still be young by the time we know if Eichel and Reinhart have the goods or not so if we need to move him in 2 years, it shouldn't be hard.

I don't know exactly who I've had the conversation with (mostly because it was many people) but I was against picking up O'Reilly since way before we got him. It's peppered all throughout that speculation thread that became the trade thread but the gist from my point of view is that we already have a log jam at the LW/C position and I knew he'd require a contract paying him to be a first line center long term. He's just what the doctor ordered now, but 2 years from now when Eichel and Reinhart are good to go, it's overkill (IMO) to pay him that much to shift over to wing or to center the 3rd line because the money could be spent better at that point (again IMO). The vast majority of folks here disagree (some passionately) but that's just how I see it. Luckily he'll still be young by the time we know if Eichel and Reinhart have the goods or not so if we need to move him in 2 years, it shouldn't be hard.

Having center ice solved is not overkill.  You want quality centers on the wings to shift in when your centers go down.  It's the most important position in the game (unless you have a top 3 goaltender).  In the short term, O'Reilly enables better line match-ups for Reinhart and Eichel while they learn the NHL game.  

In the long term, when we're in the finals against the Hawks or the Flames and Reinhart goes down.  Do you want O'Reilly or Larsson stepping into his spot?

Having center ice solved is not overkill.  You want quality centers on the wings to shift in when your centers go down.  It's the most important position in the game (unless you have a top 3 goaltender).  In the short term, O'Reilly enables better line match-ups for Reinhart and Eichel while they learn the NHL game.  

In the long term, when we're in the finals against the Hawks or the Flames and Reinhart goes down.  Do you want O'Reilly or Larsson stepping into his spot?

I want Larson going down, anybody other than Eichel, Oreilly, Kane Gus Reinhart, Risto Bogo Pysik or ________ in goal.

Having center ice solved is not overkill. You want quality centers on the wings to shift in when your centers go down. It's the most important position in the game (unless you have a top 3 goaltender). In the short term, O'Reilly enables better line match-ups for Reinhart and Eichel while they learn the NHL game.

In the long term, when we're in the finals against the Hawks or the Flames and Reinhart goes down. Do you want O'Reilly or Larsson stepping into his spot?

That's an easy answer on the surface because Ryan O'Reilly is a superior player to Larsson but it's ignoring cost and opportunity cost. Tying up money on his contract may lead to losing other good players and deplete our depth so it may not be as simple as O'Reilly vs Larsson, it may be more like would you rather have Ennis and a really good #3 defenseman or O'Reilly and just a decent #3.

That's an easy answer on the surface because Ryan O'Reilly is a superior player to Larsson but it's ignoring cost and opportunity cost. Tying up money on his contract may lead to losing other good players and deplete our depth so it may not be as simple as O'Reilly vs Larsson, it may be more like would you rather have Ennis and a really good #3 defenseman or O'Reilly and just a decent #3.

I don't think the possibility of cap problems down the road is any sort of argument against O'Reilly.

If we have cap problems and a very real logjam at LW in three years time, it's not going to be O'Reilly shown the door...it'll be Moulson and/or Kane (his contract expires in 3 years).

Kane won't be shown the door if he is scoring 25-30 goals a season. But neither wil ROR with the way the contract is structured.

Kane won't be shown the door if he is scoring 25-30 goals a season. But neither wil ROR with the way the contract is structured.

Besides, if we show O'Reilly the door, he's likely to crash his truck through it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

MSG is broadcasting The Summer of the Sabres, the first is about the Prospects Tourament

http://www.msg.com/teams/sabres.html?vid=2672327060

Airs 7:30 PM Monday

thx

The more I see from this kid the more my initial thoughts about him seem right, the kid seems to be very happy to be in buffalo.

He wanted to be here, among all the bottom ten teams i think he wanted to be a sabre.

MSG used to be aired on ESPN sport here in belgium, was nice not having to sit behind my computer at 02.00 am to watch a sabres game now and then even if it was in delay.

Edited by Heimdall

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Eichel will essentially billet with Matt Moulson (and family).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=777963

This strikes me as good news.

That's excellent news!  Thanks for the update.  I assumed he would be living with a vet and his family but glad to read it's actually happening.  Gionta would have been my first choice but this will do.

You gotta love that he's staying with a guy who chose Buffalo over all other locations as an UFA.

His answers are fantastic. Even including the no offense to the Coyotes wording.  He's got it down.  His thinking is excellent.

Looking forward to the season.. it's about all I have at this point.

The O'Reilly debate will be settled by how he and the team play, but I am getting tired of him being minimized as a "50-point scorer."

Pro-rating for the lockout, his worst season in the past four is 55 points.

He's averaged 59 points per 82 games over that span.

For perspective, 24 centres scored 59 points last year.

Jonathan Toews got 66.

Tyler Ennis has never eclipsed 60, and I still love that little guy.