The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Well then he must be entirely unknown to all!

Just stop.

People who post to a Sabres message board in mid-May after a turbl season are probably in the top -- what -- 2 or 3% among Sabre fans who consume information about the team and the league. If you so happen to be in top -- what -- .5% or .25% of fans who know who the up and coming AHL coaches are of a team that I still sorta think of as being in the Campbell Conference, well then bully for you.

But don't throw shade on how others follow the game, team, league.

Edit: And I see you're new to the place, so you should get a pass for taking a fairly gratuitous swipe at a venerable (yeah I typed it) long-time poster like LabattBlue.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Just stop.

People who post to a Sabres message board in mid-May after a turbl season are probably in the top -- what -- 2 or 3% among Sabre fans who consume information about the team and the league. If you so happen to be in top -- what -- .5% or .25% of fans who know who the up and coming AHL coaches are of a team that I still sorta think of as being in the Campbell Conference, well then bully for you.

Edit: And I see you're new to the place, so you should get a pass for taking a fairly gratuitous swipe at a venerable (yeah I typed it) long-time poster like LabattBlue.

Calm down buddy.  I'm not here to argue with strangers.

Just stop.

Venereal maybe.

I admire your commitment to posting long after your credibility on this topic went up in flames.

What did I do now?

Apparently it has come out that the Buffalo offer is $6 million + per year.

That's also from McKenzie.

You gotta love T.Pegs.  At least he's trying.

I think the visit to San Jose and Babcock's other due diligence was to see what offers he would receive. He will take (or he took) that to Detroit and presented his market worth. If Detroit is offering a 2-year contract at $3.25M per year, and they don't budge, I don't think he can walk away from that. I would be shocked unless Detroit antes up to $5M. Can you imagine the conversation between Babcock and Mrs. Babcock? Earn $6M in Buffalo or about half of that in Detroit. If Detroit doesn't budge from $3.25M, I like McKenzie's long shot that Babcock comes to Buffalo for $6M.

We aren't known for our popcorn. This is looking bad. 

We are known for our Wings... so that's gotta count for something right?

Also.. Chz gave it away.  At least the potential of it... sunglasses and all.  Cross-referencing between threads tells the tale.

If this Helen St James chick thinks he's gone on a 5 mill offer from Buff, this 6 mill plus reporting has got to seal the deal right? RIGHT?

She's a pretty well known writer in hockey circles. She was on WGR550 last week. She definitely has a lot of credibility.

I think a couple of reasons we hadn't heard much of Blashill until recently:

1. He's coaching in the AHL

2. We haven't been looking for a coach (though Rolston should have NEVER been the automatic choice)

3. Detroit has had Blashill under contract and were paying him pretty well to stay in Grand Rapids. They also weren't allowing other teams to talk to him. So, he hasn't been in discussions about coaching vacancies until now. If Babcock leaves, he goes to Detroit. If Babcock stays, then I would also prefer Blashill.

I know Blashill isn't an "established" NHL coach, but sometimes you already know what you have with the others and this guy has won wherever he goes, and he can DEFINITELY develop young players. In some ways, he might be better for the Sabres than Babcock.

I know Richardson is in the mix, and I'd be fine if he ends up being the choice. I'm going to support whomever gets the job 100% until they prove me wrong. But I'd take Blashill over anyone other than Babcock.

This is just an opinion, but my spidey-sense is tingling badly on this Babcock deal. I don't like this apparent indecisiveness. How does a guy not know if he's leaving this far into the process?  Someone offers you $6M/yr. and you have to sleep on it?  What does this say about his commitment level to the Sabres if he accepts? He's acting like someone who can't decide who to marry. There are always regrets. 

This is just an opinion, but my spidey-sense is tingling badly on this Babcock deal. I don't like this apparent indecisiveness. How does a guy not know if he's leaving this far into the process?  Someone offers you $6M/yr. and you have to sleep on it?  What does this say about his commitment level to the Sabres if he accepts? He's acting like someone who can't decide who to marry. There are always regrets. 

It's not a one person decision.  There's a family involved.

Disagree. He's being deliberate and thoughtful. And, if he is leaving DET, he is being respectful.

Due diligence.   There's no rush here, let the man take his time, discuss with his family and employer, etc... He knows what HE wants already, but until he is 100% sure (after talking with family and employer) he is not going to make his decision public.    The longer this drags on, the less likely it is to me that he stays with the Wings.   

Based on everything he's said, it sounds like he's sincerely conflicted, but is leaning toward leaving Detroit.   Family is important to him, so he wants to make sure his family is on board, and also that he'll be well compensated to secure the financial future of his loved one's.