The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

It's all one drain.

It's all pipes!

Sorry, Ghost. I tend to smoosh you and PA together in my head.

Has anyone actually seen them together in the same room?

Ew...

I guess I missed that. I think he ends up in Philly.

I think Bylsma is a good combo of system/feel. He's also young enough to relate to what is a very young roster. He should also be a bit humble from not having a job for a year. Not saying it will be him, but that's who I like.

McKenzie was out early talking about Babcock and the Sabres. That tells me the Sabres either have someone else in mind, or expect not to land him. The same reason I was willing to bet Tyler Myers was going to be traded, I say Babcock won't be in Buffalo.

My reading between the lines of multiple Babcock quotes:

• He started the year with a plan to become a UFA.
  • He wants to be a coach with input into team makeup — which he already is.
  • He has no interest into becoming a GM.
  • He wants to coach a roster that has studs on defence and at centre, who are in, or entering, their prime.
  • Detroit doesn't fit that description any more.
  • He thinks he is in a great organization with good people
  • He is wondering if he would be an idiot to leave.
  • He wants to win cup(s)
  • His wife's preference is likely to be the tipping point in his decision.

McKenzie was out early talking about Babcock and the Sabres. That tells me the Sabres either have someone else in mind, or expect not to land him. The same reason I was willing to bet Tyler Myers was going to be traded, I say Babcock won't be in Buffalo.

I'm missing something here: you knew Myers was going to be traded because McKenzie was talking about it; you think Babcock isn't coming here because McKenzie was talking about it?

Edited by dudacek

We'll get the second best guy

It's hard not to believe this. I mean, there's almost an unlimited ability for this franchise to have the very best hockey people in the world running things, and since 2011 the GMs have been Darcy and Tim Murray, the coaches have been Lindy, Ron Rolston and Ted Nolan, and the president of hockey ops has been Pat LaFontaine. Craig Patrick was a nice hire on paper — what does he do anyway?

My reading between the lines of multiple Babcock quotes:

• He started the year with a plan to become a UFA.
  • He wants to be a coach with input into team makeup — which he already is.
  • He has no interest into becoming a GM.
  • He wants to coach a roster that has studs on defence and at centre, who are in, or entering, their prime.
  • Detroit doesn't fit that description any more.
  • He thinks he is in a great organization with good people
  • He is wondering if he would be an idiot to leave.
  • He wants to win cup(s)
  • His wife's preference is likely to be the tipping point in his decision.

I'm missing something here: you knew Myers was going to be traded because McKenzie was talking about it; you think Babcock isn't coming here because McKenzie was talking about it?

On point 1.....if Babcock's wife really has a say.....do you think she will be all, "You have to get me out of this sh!thole Mike. I can't take Detroit any longer. How about Buffalo?!!!!"

On mcKenzie, yes. I mentioned in the Myers thread at the time that Myers would not be on the team much longer after McKenzie wrote an article about O'Riely. It wasn't actually about O'Riely but a cover to pump Myers and let the league know he was going to be traded. I made a bet with freeman over it.

Same thing on Babcock. McKenzie saying that the Sabres are interested and going to make a push....but yadayada..... No need to say that so early in the game. It leads to to believe it was more Transparent Poker from Black/Pegula. Either they know that can't land him, or that someone else is their goal. Just putting it out there for the very reason you are seeing...get the fans all giddy that they want him. It was also a hedge if Detroit went on in the playoffs and his extension was a given. That's the only hope for those who want him in Buffalo.

Mckenzie is to Black what Wawrow was to Quinn.

It's hard not to believe this. I mean, there's almost an unlimited ability for this franchise to have the very best hockey people in the world running things, and since 2011 the GMs have been Darcy and Tim Murray, the coaches have been Lindy, Ron Rolston and Ted Nolan, and the president of hockey ops has been Pat LaFontaine. Craig Patrick was a nice hire on paper — what does he do anyway?

Craig Patrick was brought in to be "Special Advisor" to the VP Hockey Operations.  We all know how that position was eliminated.

So, not sure what Craig does any more, but he is a Pittsburgh guy, right.

Has anyone seen Mr. Patrick lately?  Maybe he just disappeared too?

So since McKenzie has said basically every team without a coach is going to make a push for Babcock that means he isn't going to any of them?

No....I don't know what McKenzie likes to eat or drink.....but I'm guessing Ted Black is sending an intern up the QEW with a trunk load of Original Pizza Logs on the 3rd Tuesday of every other month.

It was so much easier for Larry to cart out the booze from the 200 level bar cage......

On point 1.....if Babcock's wife really has a say.....do you think she will be all, "You have to get me out of this sh!thole Mike. I can't take Detroit any longer. How about Buffalo?!!!!"

On mcKenzie, yes. I mentioned in the Myers thread at the time that Myers would not be on the team much longer after McKenzie wrote an article about O'Riely. It wasn't actually about O'Riely but a cover to pump Myers and let the league know he was going to be traded. I made a bet with freeman over it.

Same thing on Babcock. McKenzie saying that the Sabres are interested and going to make a push....but yadayada..... No need to say that so early in the game. It leads to to believe it was more Transparent Poker from Black/Pegula. Either they know that can't land him, or that someone else is their goal. Just putting it out there for the very reason you are seeing...get the fans all giddy that they want him. It was also a hedge if Detroit went on in the playoffs and his extension was a given. That's the only hope for those who want him in Buffalo.

Mckenzie is to Black what Wawrow was to Quinn.

So you are saying McKenzie is pumping Babcock to Buffalo as a smokescreen to deflect attention from the Sabres true guy? Or to pump the Sabres tires to suggest to the league Buffalo is an in-demand destination?

Possible, I guess, but sometimes the more obvious conclusion is the most likely. And why assume the rumouris being planted by Buffalo? McKenzie gets info from a helluvalot more people than Ted Black.

As for the wife stuff, my read was the opposite: that his wife might be perfectly comfortable in Detroit and not want to move anywhere.

Unless you know the people involved and what makes them tick, there is no way of knowing what their priorities are.

I will say there have a lot of references to Kim Pegula's focus on families, and her success in making them feel welcome.

And not just by Aud.

Edited by dudacek

@TSNDaveNaylor: ."If he's leaving Detroit, I would put Edmonton at the top of the list." -- @TSNBobMcKenzie on #TSNDrive, in reference to Mike Babcock.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/mckenzie-apart-from-detroit-oilers-sabres-at-top-of-babcock-s-list-1.271445

McKenzie: Apart from Detroit, Oilers, Sabres at top of Babcock's list

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but it seems like the Sabres aren't out of it, far from it.

Do you want Christie Brinkley on the decline, or Gabourey Sidibe on the incline???...........................

I was referring more to the idea that I can't see him leaving Detroit for another team on the decline--if he leaves it's an attempt to improve his situation, not maintain the status quo in a new zip code.

I was referring more to the idea that I can't see him leaving Detroit for another team on the decline--if he leaves it's an attempt to improve his situation, not maintain the status quo in a new zip code.

So I can't judge the draft but you can judge Babcock's thoughts on what he wants to do in the future? :p

Do you want Christie Brinkley on the decline, or Gabourey Sidibe on the incline???...........................

I imagine your keyboard as a bunch of letters and then a period button the size of Tyra Banks' forehead.