2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

I have two issues with Kaleta, that really boil down to one big issue.  Health, and reputation are the two issues.  Separate items that end up having the same effect on our roster.  If we choose Pat Kaleta for our roster it means we are foregoing a choice of another player of equal use to us.  Pat Kaleta has a history of spending long periods off the ice due to injury and his suspension history also results in significant time off ice whether he deserves it or not.  By choosing Kaleta we are stuck with a lesser choice to fill in when he is inevitably out for extended periods of time.  Making another choice for that roster spot is a reasonable gamble that our preferred choice is more likely to spend the bulk of the season on the ice instead of with the scratched and injured players observing the game from the club level.

I love what he brings.  And he is a useful player.  But I'm not sure it is wise to give this kid a roster spot any more.

I have two issues with Kaleta, that really boil down to one big issue.  Health, and reputation are the two issues.  Separate items that end up having the same effect on our roster.  If we choose Pat Kaleta for our roster it means we are foregoing a choice of another player of equal use to us.  Pat Kaleta has a history of spending long periods off the ice due to injury and his suspension history also results in significant time off ice whether he deserves it or not.  By choosing Kaleta we are stuck with a lesser choice to fill in when he is inevitably out for extended periods of time.  Making another choice for that roster spot is a reasonable gamble that our preferred choice is more likely to spend the bulk of the season on the ice instead of with the scratched and injured players observing the game from the club level.

I love what he brings.  And he is a useful player.  But I'm not sure it is wise to give this kid a roster spot any more.

I think this is a fair assessment. 

GO SABRES!!!

I have two issues with Kaleta, that really boil down to one big issue. Health, and reputation are the two issues. Separate items that end up having the same effect on our roster. If we choose Pat Kaleta for our roster it means we are foregoing a choice of another player of equal use to us. Pat Kaleta has a history of spending long periods off the ice due to injury and his suspension history also results in significant time off ice whether he deserves it or not. By choosing Kaleta we are stuck with a lesser choice to fill in when he is inevitably out for extended periods of time. Making another choice for that roster spot is a reasonable gamble that our preferred choice is more likely to spend the bulk of the season on the ice instead of with the scratched and injured players observing the game from the club level.

I love what he brings. And he is a useful player. But I'm not sure it is wise to give this kid a roster spot any more.

But he will not be taking the place of a young player that has a future with team. He will be the 12/13/14 forward, the good soldier that can fill in when needed, good enough and fast enough to be more then useful on a short term basis. When one of the top 9 forwards are out a game or two, it will be Kaletta. When they are out extended periods, someone will be recalled from Rochester. If you wants guys to grow in Rochester, you need guys like Kaletta to fill those last spots in Buffalo.

But he will not be taking the place of a young player that has a future with team. He will be the 12/13/14 forward, the good soldier that can fill in when needed, good enough and fast enough to be more then useful on a short term basis. When one of the top 9 forwards are out a game or two, it will be Kaletta. When they are out extended periods, someone will be recalled from Rochester. If you wants guys to grow in Rochester, you need guys like Kaletta to fill those last spots in Buffalo.

Good call here, too. 

GO SABRES!!!

I endorse this 100%.

Right on.

Also:  this is a significant personal victory for me over dudacek.

And a tip of the hat to you sir.

I hope Patty stays healthy and we see the type of play we saw two or three years ago when he was the only guy who cared.

There is a league full of guys that can fill that role.  You can select someone other than Pat Kaleta to fill the role of #12 -14.  That is my whole point.  Select someone who will actually be healthy and not suspended so the guy we depend on for that role is actually available.

There is a league full of guys that can fill that role. You can select someone other than Pat Kaleta to fill the role of #12 -14. That is my whole point. Select someone who will actually be healthy and not suspended so the guy we depend on for that role is actually available.

I respectfully disagree. I think it is a lot harder to find guys to fill this role and even harder to find guys that bring some the other attributes Kaletta brings

There is a league full of guys that can fill that role.  You can select someone other than Pat Kaleta to fill the role of #12 -14.  That is my whole point.  Select someone who will actually be healthy and not suspended so the guy we depend on for that role is actually available.

yup. Good point.

I respectfully disagree. I think it is a lot harder to find guys to fill this role and even harder to find guys that bring some the other attributes Kaletta brings

What good is he if he's on the shelf for half the season though?  Then you are saddled with plan B.

Kaleta could offer many of his positive attributes from the bench. His roll on the ice is almost done imo. Always injured or suspended for idiotic actions. The injuries almost always from plays he makes with his heart which is admirable but he would make a good asst. coach in some capacity. Who knows ?

I have to wonder if Kaleta was not from the area if he would already be a distant memory. As a hockey player any difference he makes is usually a negative in the form of a penalty or suspension. As far as his attitude, I think Bogosian gives me the attitude I need along with Girgensons and I hope Eichel and others. The Sabres also have Weber and Deslauriers so i'm not seeing where Kaleta fits in or has anything to offer the Sabres, other than being from the area.   

I have to wonder if Kaleta was not from the area if he would already be a distant memory. As a hockey player any difference he makes is usually a negative in the form of a penalty or suspension. As far as his attitude, I think Bogosian gives me the attitude I need along with Girgensons and I hope Eichel and others. The Sabres also have Weber and Deslauriers so i'm not seeing where Kaleta fits in or has anything to offer the Sabres, other than being from the area.

Moriarty you and the negative waves. Patty boy is very good on PK, under rated shot, knows how to forecheck a la Larson and still has speed. His negs are hopefully down to a dull roar for his sake too and yes being a Buffalo boy helps... Still, I am on the fence with him, I guess 1 more year and see if he lasts.

I'm worried that his body is breaking down.  I think he should hang them up before he does serious long term damage to himself.  An extra 1-2 years of hockey isn't worth sacrificing quality of life.

If he is signed, I'd be fine with him playing ~30-40 games for us.  Basically our offensive Weber.

What good is he if he's on the shelf for half the season though? Then you are saddled with plan B.

Just to be clear, I don't think Pat is the only player for this role but besides the fact that he is perfect for the role I envision, I also think taking care of guys like him goes a long way in the room as well. Finally, playing a lesser role should lower the risk of injury and I don't think the suspension issue is an issue.

Just to be clear, I don't think Pat is the only player for this role but besides the fact that he is perfect for the role I envision, I also think taking care of guys like him goes a long way in the room as well. Finally, playing a lesser role should lower the risk of injury and I don't think the suspension issue is an issue.

Me neither.  Pat really cleaned up his game over the past few years.  Unfortunately, his reputation still weighs him down.

http://thehockeywriters.com/eichel-reinhart-could-become-nhls-next-dominant-duo/

Well if I would follow this guy

Kane - Eichel - Reinhart

Moulson - Girgensons - Ennis

Foligno - Grigorenko - Gionta

Deslauriers - Larson - Kaleta/McComick

Always happens when i predtict a line up, but never have a spot for Hodgson.

Not that i don't want to give him another shot, but just keep forgetting about him.

Edited by Heimdall

I don't like Kaleta or his style of play, but I do realize that it is a style that can help out a team.  If it's not him, they're still going to look for someone who brings a similar style.  I guess I'd have no problem with him being on the team as long as he's not getting any more than 4th line minutes.  If nothing else, he serves as a distraction for the other team while he's out there and if his ice time is limited, his reputation is less likely to have him sitting in the box as frequently.

Paul Hamilton spoke with Tim Murray and Bylsma. They said that they do not foresee Reinhart or Zadorov spending any time in Rochester.

Also said that buying out Hodgson is a possibility.

More Hamilton:

Murray of course said Grigorenko will be qualified, but not sure where he fits in. He must pass through waivers to go to Rochester.

Edited by Hoss

http://thehockeywriters.com/eichel-reinhart-could-become-nhls-next-dominant-duo/

Well if I would follow this guy

Kane - Eichel - Reinhart

Moulson - Girgensons - Ennis

Foligno - Grigorenko - Gionta

Deslauriers - Larson - Kaleta/McComick

Always happens when i predtict a line up, but never have a spot for Hodgson.

Not that i don't want to give him another shot, but just keep forgetting about him.

Do you guys think Reinhart can play RW?

If Reinhart is in the NHL Hodgson is quickly running out of room.

Edited by Lanny

That Reinhart bit is very interesting, but I guess not surprising, given what Murray thinks of him, and what we've heard about the commitment to developing youth. Guess the same goes for Nikita as well.

Of all our centre prospects, I think Reinhart and Grigorenko are the least likely to play wing.

Haven't heard the clips yet, but these latest quotes are bugging me more than other times Murray has put his foot in his mouth.

They have left the impression that:

Reinhart and Zadarov already have spots in the lineup

Grigorenko doesn't have a spot in the organization going forward

Hodgson has close to zero value with the organization.

Not sure how making any of that public helps the Sabres

Haven't heard the clips yet, but these latest quotes are bugging me more than other times Murray has put his foot in his mouth.

Don't think it hurts either. 

Zad can't go to Rochester b/c he will prob leave to go to KHL.  

A little surprised to hear that re Reinhart. 

Not surprised about Grigorenko, he doesn't seem like a Murray guy and hasn't shown enough to warrant the same level of "protected status" in the organization as say Zad

Regarding Zadorov, couldn't that just be trying to pump his tires for the sake of trade value? If he's even been mentioned in talks, I'm sure Murray has privately touted him as an NHL player.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.