2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

24 would be Strachan.

A name that I think we might hear in trade rumors is Chris Kunitz... Former teammate of Bylsma and also played for him in Pittsburgh. Another left winger, but Pittsburgh may want to get his number off the books. Rugged vet. I know many here hate him, but it's a name that makes sense from a Bylsma perspective.

Kunitz makes sense from a numbers standpoint as well. He has two years left at $4 mi & $3.55 mil, 

Point production ranges for top-9 forwards: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/analysis/2015/5/31/8693313/first-line-nhl-production-analysis

Figure this is a nice reference guide for when we're talking about who is or is not a 1st line or 2nd line forward, etc. Obviously to build a contending team you want as many players towards the top of their point band as possible (hence why Chicago is so great) rather than the average or the bottom, but it's a decent outline for expectations at each spot. Summary below:

1st line center: 55-86

1st line winger: 42-87

2nd line center: 39-55

2nd line winger: 26-42

3rd line center: 31-39

3rd line winger: 12-25

So Marcus Foligno is statistically a good third-line winger, Tyler Ennis and Matt Moulson are low-end first line wingers, Brian Gionta is a second-line winger, and, prior to this year, Cody Hodgson was an average second-line centre.

So Marcus Foligno is statistically a good third-line winger, Tyler Ennis and Matt Moulson are low-end first line wingers, Brian Gionta is a second-line winger, and, prior to this year, Cody Hodgson was an average second-line centre.

Know who else is a low-end 1st line winger? A certain fellow who recently relocated from Buffalo to Winnipeg.

*ducks*

I know I am in a minority, but I think the Sabres were, on paper, 10 points better than they finished last year.

That's why I never got on board with those who excused Nolan of responsibility.

And I wonder where Drew will end up. He could be a good fit for a lot of teams.

From Friedman's 30 thoughts...

Dan Bylsma said he watched Buffalo “quite a bit” last season and talked to GM Tim Murray before the World Championships, then during the event. He said both agreed there is no use signing anyone “just to win one more hockey game next year. Let’s develop and get younger players on the roster.”

That surely sounds like another year of bad hockey. More entertaining, but I don't see much heavy action coming for us after that.

- Bylsma not sure if Kane and Eichel are a fit together since Kane carries the puck.

That surely sounds like another year of bad hockey. More entertaining, but I don't see much heavy action coming for us after that.

- Bylsma not sure if Kane and Eichel are a fit together since Kane carries the puck.

It sounds like, "I hope we're better next year while still having a shot at the top pick."

It sounds like, "I hope we're better next year while still having a shot at the top pick."

Yeap. A further reassurance that he meant exactly that. I don't think it rules out O'Reilly or similar, but I don't see us getting in on guys like Sharp or other aged vets.

He spent 3 hours talking to Kane, better they both start their relationship ASAP.

To further Hoss's Point I would rather Murray pick up vets ages 23-27. My fear with guys like Williams or Sharp will be on the downward trend when the team is ready to compete for the cup

I've been saying this for months: Reinhart, not (Mc)Eichel is the perfect centre for Kane.

Damn can you imagine if the NHL adopts the 3 on 3 OT next season, having Kane and Eichel as the forwards and Risto as the D Man?

I've been saying this for months: Reinhart, not (Mc)Eichel is the perfect centre for Kane.

Having them on two separate lines would dramatically improve puck possession

We both could be reading into it what we want, but I see it more as we are going to develop our kids, not push them aside for more proven veterans.

To me it means Larson and Pysyk and Grigorenko won't be in the minors or traded because we went after Stoll, or Beauchemin or Williams - development over instant gratification.

It's interesting that Bylsma was roundly criticized for not developing kids in Pittsburgh, but he seems to be here to do exactly that.

I think the vision for last year was to shelter the kids and add another core piece. This year it is to see how our young core grows and add to it if we can.

I think Bylsma's basic assignment is turning Eichel, Reinhart, Kane, Larson, Foligno, Girgensons, Ennis, Grigorenko, Pysyk, Ristolainen, Bogosian and Zadorov into Toews, Kane, Ladd, Bolland, Bickell, Brouwer, Sharp, Versteeg, Hjalmarsson, Keith, Seabrook and Byfuglien.

Edited by dudacek

My latest starting lineup assuming Murray is unable/unwilling to make any significant trades.

Kane Girgensons Hodgson

Moulson Eichel Ennis

Foligno Grigorenko Gionta

Deslauriers Larsson McCormick

???? Bogo

Gorges Risto

Weber Pysyk

????

Johnson

Larsson will get plenty of top nine ice time through injuries and sketchy play from guys higher in the lineup because he works hard, plays smart and can plug in anywhere.

Hodgson gets a chance with two guys who can hide his flaws and take advantage of his skills.

Reinhart and Zadorov start in the minors unless they have terrific training camps.

The ???? can be filled through UFAs. There are plenty of potential signings and our cap room ensures we get someone.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.