2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

Any correlation between this report and Murray's statement two days ago that he doesn't know how Grigorenko fits in next year must be strictly speculation on my part, right?

ZFG not always the best policy, Timmy.

Of course, there's a good possibility that Griggy's agent told TM 2 weeks ago that Griggy was going to the KHL if he wasn't guaranteed top-six minutes this year, and TM told him to enjoy the vodka and caviar. There's also a good possibility that the entire thing is a complete fabrication, which I think is the most likely explanation.

Any correlation between this report and Murray's statement two days ago that he doesn't know how Grigorenko fits in next year must be strictly speculation on my part, right?

Apparently the storm cloud counterattack for capturing DeLuca is for PA to be remote controlling Dudacek :p

I'd honestly be surprised if the comments tipped off the agent. Even if the two sides hadn't been in contact privately, if we can sit here on a message board and wonder where Grigorenko fits after securing McEichel, I'd think his professional representative could read the same tea leaves and explore alternatives.

For whatever it's worth, in that TSN Bylsma interview right after he was hired, when asked about his thoughts on the young guys, Grigorenko's name was a notable absence from the discussion. I've been higher on this kid than most here, so I'm not happy that it looks like he isn't in their plans, but realize the Sabres brass isn't particularly sold on him.

Really unfortunate how they completely mishandled this kid.

For whatever it's worth, in that TSN Bylsma interview right after he was hired, when asked about his thoughts on the young guys, Grigorenko's name was a notable absence from the discussion. I've been higher on this kid than most here, so I'm not happy that it looks like he isn't in their plans, but realize the Sabres brass isn't particularly sold on him.

Really unfortunate how they completely mishandled this kid.

Let's just be glad that those involved in the mishandling of him are gone.

Let's just be glad that those involved in the mishandling of him are gone.

We definitely are.

But, that doesn't lessen the lament that the kid doesn't seem to fit in their plans. Which is a shame because I still expect him to end up a solid 2nd liner.

There is no doubt that Grigo was mishandled but there is no way to know that he would ever had developed into anything more. We hold certain things as truths until they are proven incorrect but unless someone figures out a way to invent some parallel universe we will continue to hear how certain a players benefited from their minor league seasoning.

Detroit is continuously held to some high standard because they keep their prospects in the minors and they become great supporting cast players to their HOF core. However, the likely heir apparent will probably skip that process all together.

Completely disagree that he has "close to zero value." He's not going to be the centerpiece of an important deal, but he was still the 12th overall pick just a few years ago and is 21 years old. He had a good year in Rochester and has great size. He could easily be a piece to a larger deal...

And the Sabres think so highly of him they offered him a two way contract. Let's see, he can be part of this huge deal we are working on or I can claim him on waivers in October?

And the Sabres think so highly of him they offered him a two way contract. Let's see, he can be part of this huge deal we are working on or I can claim him on waivers in October?

Despite the smugness I'll respond: if the Sabres are engaged in trade discussions with a team and they would like one more young forward prospect then Grigorenko would be appealing. And a team isn't going to fall back on the tiny chance that they'll be able to get him on waivers later... Considering, ya know the part where there's a waiver order and the team would have to waive him first.

Obviously if the team tells somebody to choose between Grigorenko and Girgensons they're not going to pick Mikhail unless they get the spelling confused. But if the Sabres add him to a deal he's no doubt going to add at least some appeal to the deal. He's a 21, cost-controlled for a few more years, 6'3 200+ and just had a good year in Rochester...

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. He's just another guy that I see as having little value at this point. Could he turn into something? Sure but right now I'd put the odds at less then 10%. I would agree in theory you never want to lose an asset but sometimes you just have to admit when a mistake was made.

Oh, and I didn't intend on sounding smug, never sure how some try to interpret tone but I apologize for the perception.

Center. 6'3" 200+. Just put up 36 points in 43 games in the AHL as a 20 year old (total of 40 points in 52 career games in the AHL). I don't see anything about that that leads me to believe that "odds at less than 10% he turns into something" isn't just an assumption. I would be shocked if a team out there doesn't have interest in acquiring him if the Sabres are looking to move him.

It's an assumption based on an informed opinion and while you may disagree, I'm not alone. Hamilton and Coller, who had been one of his biggest supporters, discussed him the other day after the Sabre fit down and came up with two or three teams that would want him on their NHL roster.

That's the problem, every team knows it's NHL or KHL because he isn't going to the AHL.

Unfortunately Grigs troubles are some of the leftover stench of the Regier era in Buffalo. I feel for the kid and if anyone were to write a handbook on how to screw up a prospect one needs to look no further than the Sabres handling of MG. What a clusterf#&k. Hope he comes around.

Of course, there's a good possibility that Griggy's agent told TM 2 weeks ago that Griggy was going to the KHL if he wasn't guaranteed top-six minutes this year, and TM told him to enjoy the vodka and caviar. There's also a good possibility that the entire thing is a complete fabrication, which I think is the most likely explanation.

I can't see how Grigorenko can expect any guarantees based on his professional career to date. He hasn't even earned top six minutes with the Amerks let alone the Sabres.  

Apparently the storm cloud counterattack for capturing DeLuca is for PA to be remote controlling Dudacek :P

Consarn it Freeman, why do you keep letting that big blue cow drop road apples in my lineup thread?

Edited by dudacek

Unfortunately Grigs troubles are some of the leftover stench of the Regier era in Buffalo. I feel for the kid and if anyone were to write a handbook on how to screw up a prospect one needs to look no further than the Sabres handling of MG. What a clusterf#&k. Hope he comes around.

You know, it could be that Grigo is simply the prospect extension of the "old core" left behind by Darcy. Stafford isn't an awful player, but he was part of the old core, so he had to go. Grigo is that same position out of the prospect pool. I think that GMTM might think of him as part of the future of the team though; otherwise I think he would have moved him this spring, considering he wasn't signed after this year. Maybe that was why he couldn't move him though. Who knows.

You know, it could be that Grigo is simply the prospect extension of the "old core" left behind by Darcy. Stafford isn't an awful player, but he was part of the old core, so he had to go. Grigo is that same position out of the prospect pool. I think that GMTM might think of him as part of the future of the team though; otherwise I think he would have moved him this spring, considering he wasn't signed after this year. Maybe that was why he couldn't move him though. Who knows.

But that would put Zemgus in the old core too.  And McCabe.

One off-season plan:

Trade Grigorenko for Lehner

Trade 31, 51 and Hodgson for Richards and 13

Draft Eichel, Meier and Zboril

Sign Ehrhoff, Kaleta and Neuvirth

Projected lineup:

Moulson/Eichel/Ennis

Kane/Reinhart/Gionta

Foligno/Girgensons/Larsson

Deslauriers/Richards/Kaleta/McCormick

Ehrhoff/Bogosian

Gorges/Ristolainen

Zadorov/Weber/Pysyk

Lehner 

Neuvirth

But that would put Zemgus in the old core too.  And McCabe.

I think it's more a question of being "that guy." On the big team, Stafford was "that guy." Ennis and Weber not so much.

Out of the prospects, Grigo is "that guy." Gus and McCable, no.

I have nothing to justify this other than gut feel.

If Grigorenko can turn himself into a winger there is no reason he can't make the Sabres next year. There is definitely a Right Wing Spot available,

This is true.  Didn't Grigo play wing the final game or two for Rochester when Reinhart was his C?  I remember reading a quote that said he felt comfortable at wing and (I'm paraphrasing) there was less defensive responsibility.  He enjoyed having Reinhart as his C.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.