2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

Revert back? He's never had 45 points in a season. One 44 point season and a few in the 30s.

I want Hodgson to get another shot SOMEWHERE. I'm okay if it's not here. The kid has talent, and I want the best talent playing at the highest level.

If you take last year's mess out of the equation, the kid has averaged 47 points per 82 games in his NHL career.

If you take last year's mess out of the equation, the kid has averaged 47 points per 82 games in his NHL career.

You really have to wonder what the hell happened. There's no way this kid just stop growing suddenly and isn't capable of getting back on track. I'm fine with him being traded or kept, but if he's here I hope he gets an opportunity to showcase his skill again.

You really have to wonder what the hell happened. There's no way this kid just stop growing suddenly and isn't capable of getting back on track. I'm fine with him being traded or kept, but if he's here I hope he gets an opportunity to showcase his skill again.

Playing on the third line with the likes of Dalpe, Foligno, Stewart, and Varone can do that to a guy.

What would they be sending back? I don't think Bickell would be worth it. Patrick Sharp would (we'd send more), but I don't know what a Sharp acquisition does for us if he agrees to waive his no-movement clause. He'll be 34 in December. Would be gone by the time we're really ready to compete.

I don't see them moving Hjalmarsson or Seabrook, but Grigorenko could be a small piece of those deals.

To be honest I'm not really sure. I just noticed last night while watching them that their center depth isn't great, and a young guy like Grigorenko, cheap and good potential with solid wingers, could be a perfect fit. 

Grigo and Hodgson are both pieces that may not fit here moving forward.

But I think there are a few teams around the league that may see them as guys that could flourish for them in the right role.

I've always been intrigued by the idea of a Grigo-plus to Nashville for Ryan Ellis deal.

Edited by dudacek

It's not like it was a little dip in production, which will happen to any player.  13 points in 78 games played is shockingly poor.  I guess we'll see what he can do in a more offensive-minded system under Bylsma.  If he is still a roster regular this season, I'll assume there was something going on with CoHo last season that the public was unaware of.

It's not like it was a little dip in production, which will happen to any player.  13 points in 78 games played is shockingly poor.  I guess we'll see what he can do in a more offensive-minded system under Bylsma.  If he is still a roster regular this season, I'll assume there was something going on with CoHo last season that the public was unaware of.

Maybe but his defense really sucked to :p

I'll assume there was something going on with CoHo last season that the public was unaware of.

I honestly thought he and Nolan were partners in the tank.  Once Nolan's role was through, he was dismissed.  Not sure about CoHo; maybe he was in on it because of his long contract - he has time to recover his value before he either signs a new contract or gets traded.

I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but I do think it's plausible that some people involved with the team last year were purposely tanking.

Grigo and Hodgson are both pieces that may not fit here moving forward.

But I think there are a few teams around the league that may see them as guys that could flourish for them in the right role.

Or.... I could see either or both of them being important parts of the rebuild.

I'm not overly attached to either one though.  I think Grigo has more upside than CoHo.

I honestly thought he and Nolan were partners in the tank.  Once Nolan's role was through, he was dismissed.  Not sure about CoHo; maybe he was in on it because of his long contract - he has time to recover his value before he either signs a new contract or gets traded.

I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but I do think it's plausible that some people involved with the team last year were purposely tanking.

Or.... I could see either or both of them being important parts of the rebuild.

I'm not overly attached to either one though.  I think Grigo has more upside than CoHo.

You've brought this up before and it still doesn't make any sense. The problem with this conspiracy theory is it assumes Nolan was in on the tank which doesn't seem to be anywhere near likely. The other problem is if Nolan and Hodgson were in on it together then why was Hodgson in his doghouse and stuck on the 4th line? Wouldn't the good soldier still be given his ice time and not demoted to grinder line duties.

The only way this would make any sense would be if Murray and Hodgson were in on the tank and Nolan wasn't. Hodgson stinking up the joint and Nolan preaching effort while being anti-tank coupled with Murray taking a hands off approach to team handling besides deciding on the actual roster would explain Hodgson being in Nolan's doghouse and Murray letting him stew there. I still don't see how it benefits Hodgson though or why he'd be willing to jeopardize his career so Murray can bring in his replacement though.

My only question here, and it's purely because I'm not as much an X's and O's guy than some of you, is that if Eichel can play the number one center role this coming season, how much better is he really than Reinhart? There's no doubt that he's been much more coveted but we're still talking about the past two years' second overall picks. 

Again, I'm noy trying to be skeptical of Reinhart (quite the opposite) but how much can we expect from him as compared to Eichel in the next two seasons? Is this a guy who won't be making an impact until 2017, 2018?

My only question here, and it's purely because I'm not as much an X's and O's guy than some of you, is that if Eichel can play the number one center role this coming season, how much better is he really than Reinhart? There's no doubt that he's been much more coveted but we're still talking about the past two years' second overall picks. 

Again, I'm noy trying to be skeptical of Reinhart (quite the opposite) but how much can we expect from him as compared to Eichel in the next two seasons? Is this a guy who won't be making an impact until 2017, 2018?

Here is how some select comparably hyped players did coming out of the draft.

The Eichel list shows their first year after being drafted, the Reinhart list their second year after being drafted:

Eichel:

Nathan McKinnon  82 24/39/63

John Tavares          82/24/30/54

Steven Stamkos     79 23/23/46

Eric Staal                81/11/20/31

Jason Spezza         Went back to Junior

Vinny Lecavalier      82/13/15/28

Joe Thornton           55/3/4/7

Reinhart:

Alexsandr Barkov         71/16/20/36

Ryan Nugent Hopkins  40/4/20/24

Alex Galchenyuk          65/13/18/31

Kyle Turris                    63/8/12/20

Jonathan Toews           64/20/30/54

Henrik Sedin                 82/9/20/29

Like Reinhart, Sedin, Turris and Toews did not play regularly in the NHL the year after being drafted

Edited by dudacek

His 34 points in 48 games during the lockout shortened year was a pretty nic season. In my opinion he needs sheltered minutes and power play time to contribute. Nolan was unwilling to shelter his minutes and took away his PP time when he played poorly as a result. Edited by Lanny

Agreed. I see no necessary role that needs to be filled by Kaleta on this team now or into the future.

Penalty kill? Passion for the sport and Buffalo? Speed?

Some folk were praising Girgensons because he was blocking shots even though his team was down 14pts in a game. Don't tell me Kaleta doesn't bring that, too.

It's not like he's expensive or anything. Give him a two-way and a decent salary as a reward for being a loyal soldier and everyone will be happy.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

I see no downfall in keeping him in his 4th line role. Especially if Reinhart and Eichel both play in Buffalo next year; he provides some security if people target them and he's a great vet to teach the kids about being a pro

I see no downfall in keeping him in his 4th line role. Especially if Reinhart and Eichel both play in Buffalo next year; he provides some security if people target them and he's a great vet to teach the kids about being a pro

Or he provides reason for other teams to seek retribution on our kids.

Some folk were praising Girgensons because he was blocking shots even though his team was down 14pts in a game. Don't tell me Kaleta doesn't bring that, too.

It's not like he's expensive or anything. Give him a two-way and a decent salary as a reward for being a loyal soldier and everyone will be happy.

I can understand the argument, but Girgensons brings a mountain to the table while Kaleta brings an ant hill in comparison. There's plenty to like about Kaleta, but I think for the sake of him as much as the Sabres that he shouldn't get another contract. I'm not going to cry about him getting a one-year deal or anything, but I think we should move on. If it weren't for the Buffalo connection and fights from years ago then I don't think anybody would really care about the fate of Patty.

I can understand the argument, but Girgensons brings a mountain to the table while Kaleta brings an ant hill in comparison. There's plenty to like about Kaleta, but I think for the sake of him as much as the Sabres that he shouldn't get another contract. I'm not going to cry about him getting a one-year deal or anything, but I think we should move on. If it weren't for the Buffalo connection and fights from years ago then I don't think anybody would really care about the fate of Patty.

Then what does Hodgson bring?

What do the players say about Kaleta?

I agree the Buffalo connection is a fan-factor, but I think you're too quick to dismiss, and underrate, the non-quantifiable factors that Kaleta brings.

It doesn't hurt to keep him around another season or two, on a two-way, to help get the kids going in the right direction. Then let him retire honorably and become a trainer at HC.

Then what does Hodgson bring?

What do the players say about Kaleta?

I agree the Buffalo connection is a fan-factor, but I think you're too quick to dismiss, and underrate, the non-quantifiable factors that Kaleta brings.

It doesn't hurt to keep him around another season or two, on a two-way, to help get the kids going in the right direction. Then let him retire honorably and become a trainer at HC.

Hodgson brings far more skill (and youth/potential) than Kaleta. But I don't care if we trade Hodgson. I would prefer it.

Report: Sabres to begin contract talks with Kaleta

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/776348

(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

Hmmm, maybe they don't let him walk.

I endorse this 100%.

Right on.

Also:  this is a significant personal victory for me over dudacek.

Or he provides reason for other teams to seek retribution on our kids.

Retribution depends on who Kaleta takes a run at. He takes runs at other teams' muckers like him. I don't recall Kaleta taking runs at the Crosbys of the league. I seriously doubt Kaleta's presence is a threat to our young players, especially with the likes of Foligno, Kane, Deslauriers, and Bogo to protect them. 

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.